PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Nader seeks Presidency as an independent

thedrifter
02-22-04, 11:06 AM
Ralph Nader seeks Presidency
as an independent
By SAM HANANEL
Associated Press

WASHINGTON - Consumer advocate Ralph Nader announced Sunday he will run again for the Presidency, declaring that Washington has become "corporate occupied territory" and arguing there is too little difference between the Democratic and Republican parties.

Nader, who will turn 70 this week, said he contemplated retirement but decided against that. "I've decided to run as an independent candidate for President," he announced on NBC's "Meet The Press."

"This country has more problems and injustices than it deserves," Nader said, bemoaning a "democracy gap." He said he needed to get into the race to "challenge this two-party duopoly."

"There's too much power and wealth in too few hands," he said . "They have taken over Washington."

"Washington is now corporate occupied territory," Nader said. "There is now a for-sale sign on most agencies and departments. ... Money is flowing in like never before. It means that corporations are saying no to the necessities of the American people. ... Basically, it's question of both parties flunking."

Asked if he would withdraw if he concluded his candidacy would merely ensure President Bush's re-election, Nader told interviewer Tim Russert, "When and if that eventuality occurs, you can invite me back on the program and I'll give you the answer."

Nader decided against running under the banner of the Green Party. His candidacy four years ago has been blamed by many Democrats for costing Al Gore the election against George W. Bush.

Last week, Democratic National Committee chairman Terry McAuliffe revealed that he had met with Nader several times urging him not to run.

"Let me say, this is going to be difficult," said Nader, who planned a round of interviews after his announcement. "This isn't just our fight. This is a fight for all third parties ... They want to have a chance to compete. This is not a democracy that can be controlled by two parties in the grip of corporate interests."

Third party candidacies have been a greater part of Presidential politics in recent years; businessman Ross Perot twice ran for President, winning 19 percent of the vote in his first try in 1988 against George Herbert Walker Bush and Michael Dukakis.

"It's his personal vanity because he has no movement. Nobody's backing him," New Mexico Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson said Sunday in advance of Nader's announcement.

"The Greens aren't backing him. His friends urge him not to do it. It's all about himself," Richardson told "Fox News Sunday."

"Now, Ralph's made some great contributions to consumer issues over the years, but clearly it's not going to help us," he said. "I don't think he'll have a sizable impact, but it's terrible if he goes ahead because it's about him. It's about his ego. It's about his vanity and not about a movement that supposedly he headed for many years very effectively."

As the Green Party's nominee in 2000, Nader appeared on the ballot in 43 states and Washington, D.C., garnering only 2.7 percent of the vote. But in Florida and New Hampshire, Bush won such narrow victories that had Gore received the bulk of Nader's votes in those states, he would have won the general election.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_showa.html?article=33558

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

namgrunt
02-22-04, 01:29 PM
Are those beads of sweat breaking out on Democrat eyebrows?

greybeard
02-22-04, 02:48 PM
Surely not, since they stand for the little guy, consumerism, and ecology. Seems they would welcome his entering the race.

namgrunt
02-22-04, 02:56 PM
You would think so, but its Gov. Bill Richardson (D-NM), former Clinton cabinet secretary, leading the nay-sayers. Not sure what to think.