PDA

View Full Version : FINDING HIS OWN WAY - Vietnamese eldest son introduces family to Corps

thedrifter
02-22-04, 07:07 AM
FINDING HIS OWN WAY - Vietnamese eldest son introduces family to Corps
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 20042181210
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(February 13, 2004) -- Some cultures take more pride in their family names than others.

PFC Hai-Nam D. Nguyen, Platoon 1143, Company D, comes from a traditional Vietnamese family, which passes down family responsibility and the surname to the first-born son.

His father is an eldest son and so is Nguyen, who would be head of the family, should the father pass away.

"He has to be a role model for the rest of the 28 grand children," said Dong Nguyen, his older sister. "Nam is hard-headed and doesn't always understand how important his role is."

This hard-headedness comes from growing up away from Vietnam and tradition.

According to Nguyen, although his family is from Vietnam, he was born in a Philippines refugee camp and raised in the United States.

While ducking police in Vietnam during the 1980s, his family escaped to the sea, first finding themselves in Thailand before making their way with pirates to the Philippines, according to the siblings.

The police caught up with his father Buck Nguyen and took him to a political camp for months. Afterward he found his family in the Philippines and rejoined them to journey to the United States, according to Nguyen.

The family is now settled in Arlington, Texas, where Buck owns a construction business.

According to Nguyen, his father faced hardships to find happiness. This inspired Nguyen to endure the challenge of becoming a Marine.

"I wanted to be unique and show I put forth the effort to earn what I was given and to pay back the United States for the opportunities given to my family," said Nguyen.

The United States allowed his family to migrate after one of his family members, who was an ally to the American government while in Vietnam, moved to the states and sponsored them to come over.

The United States also offered aid to Nguyen's family when they began living in America. However, they did not use it.

"My dad refused government support," he said. "He wanted to earn everything on his own."

That memory was ingrained in Nguyen's mind.

"I didn't go through the hardships (my parents) did," he said. "My father was happy when I told him I joined the Marines."

Nguyen now tries to earn his own way like his father.

"He lived those core values of honor, courage and commitment everyday," Nguyen said, speaking about the same values instilled in Marines during recruit training.

Although Nguyen has now proved his mettle by completing recruit training, he had to receive his family's approval before joining.

He wanted to join the Marine Corps out of high school, but his family forbade it.

"Most Asian families don't think outside the box," said Dong. "Everyone in the family was against it, even our parents at first."

Fortunately for Nguyen, his parents felt he could grow as a man and a role model for his family as a Marine.

"When I joined the Marine Corps (my father) told me he was proud. It brought tears to his eyes," said Nguyen. "We live as Americans and still recognize we come from Vietnam and are now Vietnamese-Americans."

Nguyen can now combine his experience with both cultures to move his family into the future with confidence.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20042181272/$file/nguyen_lr.jpg

PFC Hai-Nam D. Nguyen, Platoon 1143, Company D, prepares to ascend the rappel tower here. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/CD43C47B0869951E85256E3E005D7A11?opendocument

The Drifter
:marine:

MillRatUSMC
02-22-04, 07:24 AM
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20042181272/$file/nguyen_lr.jpg

Question should his name real be;
PFC Nguyen Hai-Nam D as it norm in Vietnam.
Inquiring minds want to know...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

namgrunt
02-27-04, 10:34 AM
MillRat
I'd say no, unless the people addressing him understand that Vietnamese families put the last name first, followed by the first. It would be too confusing. Folks would end up calling him Pvt. Hai-Nam, instead of Pvt. Nguyen.

Fine story. I'm glad he and his family got free of the political re-education camps and survived the ordeal.