PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know.....

SheWolf
02-21-04, 07:55 PM
Does anyone know if (God forbid) my son would be killed in Iraq if the Marines would notify me or his wife only??

thedrifter
02-21-04, 07:57 PM
It would be his wife only........

Roger
:marine:

SheWolf
02-21-04, 07:58 PM
ok,,, thanks

benny rutledge
02-24-04, 02:37 PM
She Wolf...Stop thinking like that.Your Son would not want to know you are in such a mood.They have E-Mail to the troops now(don,t they?)Please send him an E-Mail.My favorite was "Care" packages.Cookies and Pogie bait are always a HUGE Favorite.Send him one.You'll get a Grin out of it and him too.Sempers,Hang tough.

david43844
02-24-04, 03:36 PM
I agree with benny and what ever you send be sure to pack it in popped pop corn.........the packing is edible and shareable

SheWolf
02-24-04, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by benny rutledge
She Wolf...Stop thinking like that.Your Son would not want to know you are in such a mood.They have E-Mail to the troops now(don,t they?)Please send him an E-Mail.My favorite was "Care" packages.Cookies and Pogie bait are always a HUGE Favorite.Send him one.You'll get a Grin out of it and him too.Sempers,Hang tough.

I know I try to keep positive,,,, but I slip every now and then,,,

the last time he was over there all my co-workers brought in goodies and we sent lots of care packages.... some even brought in phone cards,,,

one had her son's class write letters to him,,,,

GySgtRet
02-24-04, 06:35 PM
SheWolf,

I don't know what you are going through right now I am sure that no one does. I think that you are doing a gret thing by asking what to do. Even though you have gone through this before it may not be the same as far as where he is or what he is doing. Your son sounds as if he has a very strong bond between the family and himself and by him knowing this he will keep safe.

My prayers go with everybody that goes into the theater, but especially to MArines.

Semper Fidelis

SheWolf
02-24-04, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by GySgtRet
SheWolf,

I don't know what you are going through right now I am sure that no one does. I think that you are doing a gret thing by asking what to do. Even though you have gone through this before it may not be the same as far as where he is or what he is doing. Your son sounds as if he has a very strong bond between the family and himself and by him knowing this he will keep safe.

My prayers go with everybody that goes into the theater, but especially to MArines.

Semper Fidelis

greybeard
02-24-04, 08:06 PM
SheWolf-I'm not aware of the unit your son is with, but many units have on line spouse/parents groups. One that comes to mind right off is the one HMM-364 (Purple Fox) has. You can get an idea what it is about by going here.
http://www.purplefoxyladies.com/

It's purpose is to get information out to the families of deployed personell, and to provide support to one another. If your son's unit doesn't currently have one, maybe you could start one? If you are interested in doing a support website for the families of your son's unit, I can put you in contact with a Marine wife who started one last year on Yahoo. Just pm me, and I'll get things headed your way.

It's natural to worry, we all worry, since every Marine is a part of our family, but we have to have faith in your son, his training and in the Corps. Remember, Marines take care of each other, they look after their brothers. This is rule #1. Always has been-always will be. He's not over there alone, not by a long shot.

For the rest of us, we sometimes forget what it must be like to have family & loved ones in harm's way. We're busy doing our jobs on foreign shores or afloat, and forget what thoughts must be going thru the minds of those we left behind. WE know we're ok, but they can't always know it. A little personal example:

In 1970, I was at Marble Mtn, south of DaNang, with HMH-463 flying as a gunnner on 53's. I get a letter from home, telling me my twin brother (the squid) is a crewmember on the hospital ship USS Sanctuary. I had flown out to the Sanctuary many times on medivacs, and could even see it cruising up and down the coast from the beach at MMAF. Once, I wrangled half a day off and hitched a ride out there to see him, since he wasn't allowed ashore in country. A couple of years later, he & I were back home on leave, and like always, I was giving him sort of a hard time about sitting off shore while I was in country. The usual Marine vs Navy stuff. I didn't mean anything by it, but one day, he finally said something that shut me up for good about it. As some of you unfortunately found out, when the wounded come in to a hosp ship, all hands working parties are called to whisk the patients from the helos, down to the med sections below deck. If you can remember the MASH TV shows, it's a lot like that. My brother was on those working parties a lot and had told me so when I visited him on the Sanctuary.

Anyway, I'm on leave back in conus, haranging my brother while were walking along, and he stops me, grabs me by the arm, and says "Yeah, you had it tougher than I did, but you don't know what it was like. Everyday, I had to carry those guys down, afraid to look at their faces, because I was so damn scared it would be you this time, you dumb jarhead! Everyday. I didn't want to look-but I made myself. Do you know what that was like?" He had tears in his eyes, and then said "How would I have told Mama?"

See, I can fully understand SheWolf's concern now, even tho I've never been on that end of it. I knew I was all right and never really even thought about it much, but he thought about it all the time. Dang swabbie.

SheWolf
02-24-04, 08:14 PM
Anyway, I'm on leave back in conus, haranging my brother while were walking along, and he stops me, grabs me by the arm, and says "Yeah, you had it tougher than I did, but you don't know what it was like. Everyday, I had to carry those guys down, afraid to look at their faces, because I was so damn scared it would be you this time, you dumb jarhead! Everyday. I didn't want to look-but I made myself. Do you know what that was like?" He had tears in his eyes, and then said "How would I have told Mama?"

See, I can fully understand SheWolf's concern now, even tho I've never been on that end of it. I knew I was all right and never really even thought about it much, but he thought about it all the time. Dang swabbie. [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah it can be hard on those left behind or those behind the scenes so to speak,, I appreciate the support,, you know, the comment I get so many times is "this is what he signed up for",,, it irks me to no end,,, yes we/he realized he could be deployed etc, but it's not what he signed up for... another thing I get from people who know I am a retired Veteran,,,, you know/knew the chances etc,, believe you me,, this doesn't make me feel better!!!!

In my mind I know,,, but I'm the mom this time,,,,,

FREEBIRD
02-24-04, 08:29 PM
SheWolf

This may or may not help, but back in the 60's and 70's it was our favorite saying:

"KEEP THE FAITH"
AND LIKE THE OTHERS TOLD YOU, KEEP THE GOODIES GOING TO HIM, IT MAKES HIM FEEL BETTER AND YOU ALSO.
FAITH, LOVE AND HOPE IS ON YOUR SIDE, KEEP IT UP AND BE PROUD!!
P.S.wonder if he would like some peach's and pound cake???
thats another story........
My Prayers are with you and hope your son returns home safely!!

FREEBIRD

FREEBIRD
02-24-04, 08:32 PM
Greybeard,
I read your story about your brother, and belive me or not it brought a tear to my eyes, I guess some may say this makes me a sissy, but you would have to be there to understand..

Semper Fie Brother,
FREEBIRD

Osotogary
02-24-04, 09:44 PM
Geez, SheWolf. You made me go to a place (train of thought that I really didn't want to go to). I could curse you to death but your concerns are mine, basically.
I like to think positive. I have two sons in the Middle East, I am a divorced Father and I often wonder if I would ever be notified about anything... good or bad, regarding the welfare of either of my son's in that region.
I send him a letter or care package about once every 10 days. I try to send enough for him to share and I try to remain humorous and unconventional. Like sending him a Chinese Restaurant Menu and asking him and his Mortar Crew to place an order... things like that. I bet that he is the only Marine in Afghanistan to have received sugar cane from South Florida.
SheWolf, be creative and positive and give him the biggest hug you can when he returns.
Gary(osotogary)

SheWolf
02-25-04, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Osotogary
Geez, SheWolf. You made me go to a place (train of thought that I really didn't want to go to). I could curse you to death but your concerns are mine, basically.
I like to think positive. I have two sons in the Middle East, I am a divorced Father and I often wonder if I would ever be notified about anything... good or bad, regarding the welfare of either of my son's in that region.
I send him a letter or care package about once every 10 days. I try to send enough for him to share and I try to remain humorous and unconventional. Like sending him a Chinese Restaurant Menu and asking him and his Mortar Crew to place an order... things like that. I bet that he is the only Marine in Afghanistan to have received sugar cane from South Florida.
SheWolf, be creative and positive and give him the biggest hug you can when he returns.
Gary(osotogary)

:no: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lead you down that path,, most of the time I think I'm okay,,,, but I think it's cuz this is his second tour and they jerked him around so much about his going, not going and when that it threw me into a loop......

I will add your sons to my prayers,,, and thanks for the support...

:yes:

Osotogary
02-25-04, 06:35 PM
SheWolf,
No apologies necessary. I appreciate your candor and honesty. Thanks for your support. If you want, I'll send your son a letter. If you send me his mailing address via PM., I'll write him and let you know when I sent the letter or card.
Take care of yourself.
Gary(osotogary)

GySgtRet
02-25-04, 07:50 PM
Osotogary (gary),

This is one of the most unselfish things that I have seen in a long time. You are a true American.

SheWolf
02-25-04, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
SheWolf,
No apologies necessary. I appreciate your candor and honesty. Thanks for your support. If you want, I'll send your son a letter. If you send me his mailing address via PM., I'll write him and let you know when I sent the letter or card.
Take care of yourself.
Gary(osotogary)

thanks,, don't have an address yet

benny rutledge
02-26-04, 01:44 PM
Shewolf,It's me again.Happy to see all the support you are recieving from Leatherneck.Com.I would also to be pleased and proud to drop your young Marine a line.C'mon put his adress up in this forum,watch all the letters and boxes he'll get and be able to share with his fellow Marines.Anytime a CARE Package came in from the WORLD was a big occasion for every one in my Hootch.We all pulled up a Footlocker and Oohed and Aahed at the photo's,and had a great time going thru the box and finally ate the packing material (stale popcorn)Heck if he can get access to the Net,ask him to drop in this Forum and say Hi! We would all get a kick out of it! In the meantime STOP all that Worrying,He is in the BEST of hands.SEMPER FI!