<br />
By Rick Rogers <br />
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

namgrunt
02-21-04, 02:06 PM
Geez! What a mess.

MillRatUSMC
02-21-04, 06:28 PM
Now it's left to a court to decide who's guilty and who innocent of the charges. <br />
Now a question might be: <br />
Was the sex consensual or was she rape as she says. <br />
Men and Women, alcohol and being away...

namgrunt
02-21-04, 06:52 PM
I can see one sure reason why General Kelley became Commandant. Fine words.

Thanks MillRat.

MillRatUSMC
02-21-04, 07:13 PM
After the bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebenon

MillRatUSMC
02-21-04, 07:40 PM
After the bombing of the Marine barracks in Lebanon, some leaders in Congress suggested that the Commandant take a low profile.
Letting a less Officer to take the heat from any investigation.
Resulting on the words by General Paul Xavier Kelley
The 28th Commandant of the Marine Corps ;

"I would hope that the Congress would use this incident of cruel and premeditated mass murder to help us determine ways to tell
nations that they cannot export and support terrorists who kill innocent Americans with impunity. The perpetrators and supporters of this challenge to the rights of free men
everywhere must be identified and punished.
I will have little sleep until this happens."
~ General Paul Xavier Kelley ~
The 28th Commandant of the Marine Corps

"Another suggestion I strenuously reject is that we should sweep as much dirt as we can under the rug. Eli, five words stuck in
my mind that night last June when I became keeper of the Marine Corps Color: courage … devotion … compassion …
honesty … and integrity. If I learned nothing else from the Augustinian Fathers at Villanova, those last two words
made an indelible impression, for without honesty and integrity, the others are meaningless."
~ General Paul Xavier Kelley ~
Another later on on visiting some of the wounded from that bombing;
Sometime shortly after the Beirut bombing in 1983, then–Commandant of the Marine Corps General Paul X. Kelley was visiting a wounded Marine in the hospital. The lad shook the Commandant's hand and then scribbled the words "Semper Fi" on a piece of paper. It was the Marine's way of saying "Semper Fidelis." Gen Kelley became emotional and said,
"Lord, where do we get such men?"

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

namgrunt
02-21-04, 09:40 PM
No glib one-liner fits here.
We are fortunate as a nation to have such leadership in at least one branch of the services. I can only hope we never run out of such men. If we do, the nation will have died already.

Semper Fi!

MillRatUSMC
02-22-04, 12:51 AM
With all the charges against 1st Lt. Tara Burkhart, one could almost get a law degree. <br />
Had to do some research on one charge. <br />
Just by it's very nature, it has to be consensual. <br />
I bet all parties...

MillRatUSMC
02-22-04, 01:10 AM
Must clear a point on General Ike Eisenhower; <br />
<br />
Days of Summersby <br />
D'Este delves into Eisenhower's wartime relationship with Kay (Kathleen) Summersby, a beautiful young Irish woman. The general...

MillRatUSMC
02-22-04, 09:34 AM
I hate beating a dead horse, but I was discussing this case with my better half. <br />
When I told her that 1st. Lt. Tara Burkhurt was being charged with sodomy. <br />
She said &quot;that ridiculous&quot;! <br />
So with that...

namgrunt
02-22-04, 02:21 PM
MillRat
I don't think she would have been in as much trouble if the party had taken place in Georgia, whether sodomy was involved or not. I think the use of alcohol in an Islamic country, contrary to orders for conduct, is what got her into dutch.