PDA

View Full Version : Wartime Records Won't Sway Voters

yellowwing
02-20-04, 04:46 PM
By NANCY BENAC, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - John Kerry protests against the Vietnam War and President Bush (news - web sites)'s wartime service in the National Guard generate disapproval largely among people who already have made up their minds against that particular candidate, according to a national poll released Friday.

Adam Clymer, political director for the University of Pennsylvania's National Annenberg Election Survey, said the findings could be significant in a close presidential race.

It appears, however, that the disapproving responses "are coming heavily from anti-Kerry or anti-Bush people who see the issues as welcome opportunities to pile on in opposition," Clymer said.

The survey found that overall, 44 percent of Americans disapproved of Kerry's anti-war activities, and 40 percent approved.

About 17 percent of Americans both disapproved of Kerry's conduct and said it would matter "a great deal" toward determining how they would vote. These voters were about four times as likely to be Republicans as Democrats, and they rated Kerry much lower than the public in general on qualities such as leadership, caring and trustworthiness.

The survey found that 62 percent of Americans felt Bush had fulfilled his obligations in the Texas Air National Guard while 38 percent said he had not.

About 12 percent of Americans said Bush hadn't fulfilled his obligations, and it would matter "a great deal" in deciding their votes. These voters were eight times more likely to be Democrats than Republicans and rated him far below the public's average on characteristics such as leadership.

The Feb. 11-19 survey of 1,749 Americans had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2 percentage points.

Kerry earned three Purple Hearts, a Silver Star and a Bronze Star in Vietnam. He later was a leading anti-war protester, testifying before Congress and throwing away his campaign ribbons in protest.

Bush served in the Texas Air National Guard during the war as a fighter pilot. At one point, he got permission to transfer to an Alabama guard unit to work on a political campaign there, but he never flew while there nor when he returned to duty in Texas. He was granted early release to go to Harvard Business School.

yellowwing
02-20-04, 04:48 PM
I be a lot of time and money was spent on this poll. Our crew here at Leatherneck could have told him the same thing for half the cost!

thedrifter
02-20-04, 05:09 PM
yellowwing.....You can say that again......LOL

Do they really want to hear the truth.....

namgrunt
02-20-04, 05:21 PM
The article is right, yellowwing. I know I've already made up my mind.
I'm flying in circles because I have only a right wing.
LOL

namgrunt