PDA

View Full Version : Jessica Lynch - Motivational Speaker?

marinemom
02-20-04, 06:58 AM
Lynch remains in public eye with speech engagements

By Jennifer Harper
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Jessica Lynch has become a motivational speaker.

The slight blonde who went from broken prisoner of war and national hero to an instant and controversial celebrity has taken on a new public identity, offering her story in a presentation titled "Survival is a Choice."

Next week, Miss Lynch will journey to Florida to christen the Miracle, a new Carnival Cruise Lines ship, with a bottle of champagne.

But come April 6, the former Army private will appear at the MCI Center on behalf of "Get Motivated" — a frantic, daylong sales seminar that also showcases former New York City Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, whose topic is "How to Lead in Difficult Times."

Olympic gold medal skaters Jamie Sale and David Pelletier also are to appear, as is former Microsoft President Rick Belluzzo.

The seminar is the brainchild of Peter Lowe, a Tampa, Fla.-based entrepreneur who has transformed motivational workshops into showbiz productions in recent years with fireworks, merchandising and such speakers as former President Bill Clinton and former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev.

Now, it is Miss Lynch's turn.

"This will be her first time as motivational speaker, to my knowledge," Mr. Lowe said yesterday. "And her topic is really about perseverance, a common denominator for success among all of us. It's a tremendous lesson to learn."

Miss Lynch has been booked for the seminars in several other cities, Mr. Lowe said. "We found that she had become available, and we hired her," he added.

Though she still uses a crutch for walking, the West Virginia native — who turns 21 in late April — has begun to craft a cautious public presence as injuries she sustained when her Army convoy was attacked in Iraq in March slowly mend.

Her subsequent capture by Iraqis and her dramatic rescue by U.S. troops inspired a genuine but erroneous frenzy among journalists intent on crafting a heroine, sending Miss Lynch on an uneven ride through celebrityhood.

Nevertheless, she landed a $1 million book deal, an NBC movie, and a parade of appearances on TV talk shows that included a public denouncement of the Bush administration.

"They used me to symbolize all this stuff. It's wrong," Miss Lynch told ABC.

But the glaring lights are fading. Miss Lynch's biography sold only 57,000 copies in its six-week run in the marketplace after a timely Veterans Day release. Her spate of speaking engagements was not handled by her former agent at International Creative Management, a spokesman said.

Calls to her attorney Stephen Goodwin were not returned yesterday.

Miss Lynch, nonetheless, recently appeared at the Golden Globe film awards in the company of former POW Shoshana Johnson, also rescued by U.S. troops. Miss Johnson also has become a public speaker in recent months.

Miss Lynch also appeared at the Gator Bowl and before the West Virginia Legislature in January.

When she christens the new ship Feb. 27, Carnival Cruise Lines will make an "undisclosed contribution" to the Jessica Lynch Foundation, an organization she founded to provide scholarships to military children.

yellowwing
02-20-04, 07:43 AM
Nevertheless, she landed a $1 million book deal, an NBC movie, and a parade of appearances on TV talk shows that included a public denouncement of the Bush administration.

"They used me to symbolize all this stuff. It's wrong," Miss Lynch told ABC.

- Maybe she'll throw her medals on the Capitol steps. Criticizing George Dubya hasn't hurt her career.

G.L.B.
02-20-04, 07:43 AM
I don't even know what to say. So many mean thoughts are running through my skull right now its hard to function.

MillRatUSMC
02-20-04, 08:39 AM
The question now might be;
"Will the State of West Virginia go back on it's word of a free education?
But she has all that money in the bank, soon to be enriched by all these motivational speeches...
At a loss for words about a media created super hero...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
02-20-04, 08:41 AM
So with all that money, why worry about a free education.
She should have stood up at that award ceremony and stated what she now spouting...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

namgrunt
02-20-04, 08:42 AM
Wow! I'm floored by this article.

I don't know if I have any further admiration for this former Army private. I was glad for her when she was rescued, but she didn't do anything except continue to breathe until rescued. She will be talking out of her behind, as far as I'm concerned. I'd like to know what she persevered at in order to qualify as a speaker on that subject.

Just the title of her motivational speech is hogwash. "Survival is a Choice", horsefeathers! Survival is NOT a choice. Survival is a Fight. Winning is the Choice. The words also echo certain PC guidelines (a woman's choice with her body, etc). Sounds like she has backers who want to insure she remains in the limelight, even if it destroys her.

I'm also bothered by the organizer of the seminars, Peter Lowe. If he had arranged these types of events for Mikhail Gorbachev, and Bill Clinton, then I don't trust him. PC run-a-muck!! Who knows, we may be seeing the start of a political career, if Lynch can be properly groomed, and gets with the program. I'm sure she would find supporters in that endeavor, should it happen. It makes me shudder to contemplate it.

I know nothing that has happened is her fault, except being in the Army. However, many fellow soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines have done far more to ensure victory, and gotten nothing special in return. It just doesn't seem right.

namgrunt

bier95
02-20-04, 09:00 AM
namgrunt

(quote) I know nothing that has happened is her fault, except being in the Army. However, many fellow soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines have done far more to ensure victory, and gotten nothing special in return. It just doesn't seem right.

I agree with this, she is riding the band wagon.

usmc4669
02-20-04, 09:41 AM
Here we have at the time a 18 year old still wet behind the ears young woman, who was at the wrong place at the wrong time. War hero? I don't think so, sorry. How many male counterparts were also captured with her, I haven't heard much about them, (were they war hero?) none of the glory that she been getting, don't get me wrong Jessica Lynch went to serve her country like all of the service personnel before her. Then I give credit to all of our Service personnel who have been and are still in Iraq and Afghanistan and we have a lot that have died where is the hip hurrah for them. Where is the $1 million book deals, NBC movie, parade; let give Jessica Lynch what she deserves, a welcome and a pat on the back that I and a lot of veterans didn't get when we returned from Korea and Vietnam.
Jessica Lynch: Landed a $1 million book deal, an NBC movie, and a parade of appearances on TV talk shows that included a public denouncement of the Bush administration.
here we go, another John Kerry.
Gunny USMC Retird and damn proud of it. Semper Fi, oohrah and anything else from the past 35 years.

Super Dave
02-20-04, 09:47 AM
She can speak on how to cower in fear during a ambush...

namgrunt
02-20-04, 09:55 AM
Gunny
I hate to admit it, but someone DID put her on a fast track to military "stardom." I'm sure it wasn't the President personally, but someone brought the national media in on this dog and pony sideshow. This smacks of politically correct bureaucratic leftovers, who still want to push women into combat billets. It would be interesting to find out who originated the story of Pvt. Lynch fighting to her last ounce of strength. Someone wrote the copy for press releases.
Jessica Lynch may be many things, but Xena-Warrior Princess she is not!

namgrunt

usmc4669
02-20-04, 09:55 AM
I copied this off of the net, not from me.

Gunny

This Poem was posted on the Jessica Lynch Forums and touched me so much I had to include it on the Main page, it was written by 12 y/o Candice Malone of Virginia
Dear Jessica this poem is for you.

An American hero
Jessica from what I hear you are really cool, I also hear you want to be a teacher at an Elementary school.
You left your country to fight in danger, you were trying to free people who were filled with anger.
You are now all over TV you have become an American hero, when I compare you to any superhero in the world you win 10 to 0.

namgrunt
02-20-04, 10:00 AM
"UUURRKK"
Sorry, but it makes me a bit ill to see how far this cultivated hero worship has gone. It is sad.

usmc4669
02-20-04, 10:18 AM
Go to this web site to read John Kampfner article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3251731.stm

BBC correspondent defends Lynch documentary
(CNN) -- The U.S. military has denied misrepresenting the facts surrounding the rescue of Pfc Jessica Lynch from an Iraqi hospital April 1 to make the mission appear more dramatic, as alleged in a BBC documentary. CNN anchor Leon Harris talked to John Kampfner, the veteran BBC correspondent behind the documentary, about the allegations.

John Kampfner is Political Editor of the New Statesman. (Blair basher)He has just finished touring the country promoting his latest book, Blair's Wars. The inside account of how the Prime Minister has taken Britain into conflict five times in six years, it was published by Simon and Schuster in September 2003 to wide critical acclaim, including being listed as 'Book of the Year' in the Sunday Times and The Observer.

namgrunt
02-20-04, 10:31 AM
Whatever happens after this, I can only feel pity for this kid. Her life will take years to unscrew, if ever.

As for the BBC, they will write whatever they choose, as long as we look bad at the finish.

wayne553
02-20-04, 08:00 PM
I listened to the news,read the paper where they said she fired till she ran out of ammo.THEN she said ( I was so scared I didnt even shoot back).Now I think the little W.VA.kid has money in her head and someone that don't give a damn about her,pushing her to MAKE MORE money ,soon the well will dry up.Then she had better manage her money,because in 3 yrs no one will remember
her
thats the reason NO WOMEN IN COMBAT

wc

Toby M
02-20-04, 10:12 PM
I actually read in the local paper about a man inquiring if she (Lynch) was eligible for the Medal of Honor! That really frosted my *****! Imagine that! The media is so hungry for a "hero" and this situation was ready made for t.v. so they jumped at it!!! Fortunately, all there was left to give out were the Bronze Stars for everybody!
(snicker-snicker)

cmbell
02-21-04, 01:32 AM
(quote)by (namgrunt) I know nothing that has happened is her fault, except being in the Army. However, many fellow soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines have done far more to ensure victory, and gotten nothing special in return. It just doesn't seem right.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I fully agree with this statement. I believe that she should not have any more glory and media hype than any other war POW. Seems to me that POW's from this war and all wars before now have just got there name on a list and are forgotten as far as the media is concerned.

CMBELL

scarberry
02-21-04, 09:05 AM
GOOD BETTER BEST, NEVER LET IT REST, TILL THE GOOD IS BETTER AND THE BETTER IS THE BEST------THAT YOU CAN BE [[[[[[[[ USMC ]]]]]]]]

LONEEAGLE
02-21-04, 09:15 AM
What about the other women who were with her? They suffered more than Lynch. It's deplorable......

usmc4669
02-21-04, 10:12 AM
Gentelmen, gentlemen, if I can call you that. LOL; this poor girl was the first woman POW and they had to make a big deal out of it, even the Army went all the way to glorify this. Remember when the Marines were getting in the news for spearheading to Baghdad they relieved them with the Army. Marines were pulled back and the Army then took over. Medal of Honor, for what? hell why not give everyone who fight in Iraq a Medal Of Honor, do away with the Purple Heart seems as if they are a dime a dozen these days, then we can come up with a new Medal called the Super Bowl MOHFH, the FH stands for; For Heroism. Just venting.