PDA

View Full Version : Who am I? Where I'm I from.

usmc4669
02-18-04, 01:53 PM
We keep hearing Americans wanting to be called Native Americans, African Americans Etc., what color do you have to be to be called a Japanese American, African American, etc. if you were born in the United States wouldn't you an American? If your were born in Japan and then came to the United States and became a citizen you could claim to be an Japanese American, right, what then would your nationality have to be; would your parents have to be Japanese? I have a grandson who was born in Japan, his parents were from the United States; he had the right to become a citizen of Japan or the United states at the age of 18. I read where a young man born in Africa wanted to be referred as an African American and cause a big stink over it, just because his skin color was white; do your skin color have to be the color of the country that you were born in to be a citizen of that country? A lot of Americans want to be called the country that their ancestors came from Americans when they themselves have never been the that country. Then why can't we call them the country that their ancestors came from, descendent Americans. Example Japanese Descendent American.
MODERATOR, before you delete this, please PM me and explain why. I haven't seen this posted and it's not intended to offend anyone.
Gunny

Sparrowhawk
02-18-04, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by usmc4669
We keep hearing Americans wanting to be called Native Americans, African Americans Etc., what color do you have to be to be called a Japanese American, African American, etc. if you were born in the United States wouldn't you an American? Gunny

It's called forced inclusion, while new Americans' no longer become part of the American dream, they no longer blend into American society. They want us to accept them, their customs, religions, and way of life and then cater to them. They want us to recognize them as Mexican Americans, Jewish American, Arab Americans, etc. They segregate themselves, hold on to their way of life and demand that "Americans," change for their benefit; otherwise they get some bleeding liberal to label us as being prejudice against them.

We no longer require new Americans, to turn in their former country's passport, when they become, "American citizens."

We no longer require them to renounce their former country's identity thereby allowing them to become "Dual citizens."

Humm, my post may be deleted because of the following statement but its true. Jews, or Jewish people <strike>killed Christ</strike> oophs, no that's on another tread, dealing with that new movie.

New Jewish Americans, as well as Arabs hold duel citizenship rights, both contribute much to politicians in congress, so no US Senator, Congressmen will introduce a bill, that requires Jewish citizens to renounce their Jewish state, or Arabs their "former" country, when they become US Citizens.

The same holds true with New Mexicans that become Americans (hey, I'm a Mexican), LOL No, I am an AMERICAN that happens to be Mexican. But, I do not nor would I want to be a citizen of another country. But the Mexican American, like the Jewish, and Arab American can vote and some do sometimes vote in their so called, "former country's," elections. .

There are "Arab Americans," serving in Congress today that hold dual citizen rights in another country. So, they can not only vote in that other country's elections, as can other so called "Americans," they support many of their “former” county’s political views in the way they vote in Congress.

Many of these Arabs, come from country's that support terrorism, an American cannot travel to that country because it is off limits to "REAL AMERICANS, but they can. They simply travel first to Canada or Mexico, and from there use their other passport to travel "home."

All this is not right, you’re either an AMERICAN or you identify with another country. No one should have the right to stand with two feet planted in two different country, because they cannot be trusted, “I pledge allegiance to…

Sparrowhawk
02-18-04, 06:29 PM
We keep hearing Americans wanting to be called Native Americans, African Americans Etc., what color do you have to be to be called a Japanese American, African American, etc. if you were born in the United States wouldn't you an American? If your were born in Japan and then came to the United States Gunny

Well, I've never been politically correct about anything, so why start now.

I'm an American, that happens to be Mexican and love Mexican food, but I don't fly the Mexican flag nor wear a sombrero and ask others to call me Mexican American. These that want to be identified in this way are just stupid people.

From my book, “Dreams of glory,”

“There are words that I use in this book that some may find offensive. In today's society, they are not politically correct. I use them here because they are the words of war, words of that time and era. They are words we used in a Marine rifle squad that was made up of individuals from all across America. Blacks, Mexicans, and Whites, in the Marine Corps we enjoyed a common bond, a unity and relationship bonded by the Marine Corps green that we all wore. We used these words to describe the enemy, ourselves and a culture we didn't understand. But that's the way it was then and it was our way of life.”

In Nam we were brothers, and if anyone started that "black" jive thing, or the Mexican dance, we usually left them out in the field on the next patrol. Pretty soon they realize we were Marines.

We should deny American rights to those that want to be identified with a county many have never seen for reasons that have nothing to do with this country. Stupid people. Did I already say, I’m not politically correct? LOL

see what you started, Gunny?

SGTDBG0411
02-18-04, 07:36 PM
I am a MARINE born and raised at MCRD San Diego,CA
PLT 1072 MY MARINE Fathers are
SDI SSGT RUHWEDAL
SSGT NICHOLS
SGT CRIEGHTON :marine:

namgrunt
02-18-04, 07:39 PM
I'm a Naturalized American. I was born in another country. I came here as a child, and was raised in this culture. What history I know of the old country is only what I've heard from my parents. I know about the U.S. Constitution, and the American Revolution. I know about the Gadsden purchase, and the Lewis and Clark Expedition. I know about the Civil War and Lincoln's assassination. My interests and goals are rooted in my identity as an American, because that is what I chose to become.

My loyalties and allegiances belong to only one nation, this one. In the event there were ever an armed conflict between the country of my birth and the United States of America, I would fight to defend THIS nation, even unto death. I have NO HYPHEN in my declaration. I AM an AMERICAN. I swore an undated oath to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of this land, not any other.

If the call comes, even thought I'm over the hill, I'M GOOD TO GO!

Semper Fi!
namgrunt

usmc4669
02-18-04, 07:53 PM
"Immigrants Landing at Ellis Island" New Americans.

usmc4669
02-18-04, 07:56 PM
"Men of the 1st Marine Division capture Chinese Communists during fighting on the central Korean front. Hoengsong."
Now they are our friends?

wayne553
02-18-04, 08:00 PM
In my humble opinion this country started changing in the 60s when JFK was in.Started with Marandar (SP? )for the police.today they have to prove I DIDNT HIT HIM.
Now its if someone wants a name change,they get it.Here in Maine 4-5 schools had to change their logo.Were REDSKINS Indians complained
I agree that if they live here then abide by OUR rules,not expect us to bend over backwards.In Portland the housing sucks,WE can only have 2-3 to a bedroom.BUT if they are from away they can have as many as they want,10-15 in one room
I LOVE MY COUNTRY buts thats NOT what I served for ,to have them come here and change MY country.I've been here for 60 yrs.
they been here what 10-20?

wc

usmc4669
02-18-04, 08:05 PM
On active duty from August 1942 to September 1945 during World War II, Mr. Bush flew torpedo bombers off the USS San Jacinto. On September 2, 1944, Mr. Bush's plane was hit by anti-aircraft fire while making a bombing run over the Bonin Island of Chichi Jima, 600 miles south of Japan. Although the plane was afire and severely damaged, he completed his strafing run on the targeted Japanese installation before flying towards sea to bail out. Mr. Bush was able to bail out successfully and was rescued by a Navy submarine, the USS Finback. Tragically, his two crew members were killed. For his courageous service in the Pacific Theater, Mr. Bush was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross and three Air Medals.

Sparrowhawk
02-18-04, 08:18 PM
"Immigrants Landing at Ellis Island" New Americans.

Well, I went to look where my ancestors came to America and I couldn't find their name, because the sand on the river bank of the Rio Grande where they inscribed their names had washed away. LOL

Not really, there are Barela's on Ellis Island but also before that. Two were killed fighting with the Union during the Civil War.

Like my ancestors, those that fought and died for this nation, my loyalties and allegiances also belong to only this nation.

Semper Fi

Cook

usmc4669
02-18-04, 08:48 PM
Sparrowhawk:
"Two were killed fighting with the Union during the Civil War."

And I had ancestors that fought for the Southern States. All the time they were Americans, not Union Americans or Rebel Americans but Americans.
Gunny

cmbell
02-18-04, 10:18 PM
It would seem like just being American is not good enough in today's society. You must be African American, Spanish American, Mexican American, Etc. etc. etc. Everyone seems to want to be so separate.

I recently heard about a resturant owner who's business name is being sued. Apparently while serving he picked up a nickname of "Chink" so he named his place after this. So some lady drives by and gets offended so now this man is susposed to change the name of a 15 or so year old business that has opperated under the same name all this time. What makes me so mad is that the lawyers will probably try and get the name changed.

Seems like there is nothing anyone can say or do these days without someone getting offended. It makes me angry that everytime one of these cases gets won, that my first amendment rights are getting flushed down the drain...........and they are. When are we as a country going to realize that we are all immigrants (excluding American Indians), that we are all different, yet we are all the same, so there is no need to diffirentiate. Reminds me of an old saying:

"United we stand, Divided we fall!"

I am American.......and I am Proud......I am proud of the man this country elected President....I am proud of his decisions......I am proud that I have served my country...........and I am more that proud and grateful for those who have served before me......and for those who served before them..........Semper Fi

ivalis
02-18-04, 10:45 PM
Mark your calendars! I agree w/ the hawk on an issue.

What's with dual citizenship? Choose a side!

Kind of a heinz 47 here, my Dutch forebears landed in 1658, the Norwegian part just before the civil war, the Greek just after WWI.

I remember asking my dad, who was born here but who had sisters born in Greece, if he ever wanted to go see his "mother" country. He responded, "hell boy, must of been a sh!thole or your grandparents never would of left".

We stole Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and a big chunk of California from the Mexicans. The latest census data suggests that the Mexicans got it back. Good for them.

MillRatUSMC
02-19-04, 12:13 AM
Now let me throw this at you;
While my brother was stationed on Okinawa.
The first of three boys was born.
Seeing that Okinawa is now part of Japan.
That boy was given dual citizenships, one American and the other Japanese.
At age 18, he could choose one of the two to keep.
Thus he really is an Japanese-American or American-Japanese.
As Yellowwing said the other day, those we know as "Native-Americans" or "Indians".
"Indians" has no meaning to those we know as "Native-Americans" that was a name spoken by a European, who really thought he was somewhere else.
Like India.
Those we know as "Native-Americans" would rather be called by the name of the tribe or nation they are part.
Europeans were late comers to what we now know as the United States of America.
This too could be like "Old Corps" vs "New Corps" it just where you come in that matters.
I have the blood of several nations traveling through the body that some know as Ricardo.
French, Spanish, Mexican, Native-American and God knows what else might be tagging along.
I was born in "New Mexico"...one day when I went to get a new social security card.
A lady ask me where I was born, told her "New Mexico".
I think that she only heard "Mexico".
She than ask me for my "Green Card".
I told her the name of several cities in New Mexico.
She than told "she was sorry for the mistake".
Several generations of my family have serve in the armed forces of this nation.
To date, four in the Marine Corps, 6 in the Army.
We all claim the title of American, not Mexican-American.
The words of Maria Da Marcial Gonzalez;
"If you're invite to eat off someone table, it's your duty to repay that kindness".
Meaning if you take the bounty of this Nation, it's your duty to repay that kindness.
No one got a free ride in my grandma house, everyone pull their fair share.
Thanks Grandma, for making me the man, I am...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS Some don't see my ten years in the Corps, only my "bronze skin"...It don't mean nuthing, Ricardo face it and drive on.

yellowwing
02-19-04, 02:00 AM
To me as an Anishinabe that served a full 6 years in our beloved Corps, I am an American. I served in the forces that defend our country and our way of life. :marine:

It is an extra but not necessary that the Anishinabe are recognized as a full part of this Great Society.

'Culture' is an English word that does not hold the true meaning of what it really is. I think that 'culture' means 'Who we are.' We are a real people, we've done our part, and we deserve respect.

Iron and carbon are heat forged into the strongest steel. Everyone from all bloodlines are the material that have been forged into this great nation.

(of course John Kerry will make it even greater) :banana:

Sparrowhawk
02-19-04, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by cmbell
"United we stand, Divided we fall!"

I am American.......and I am Proud......I am proud of the man this country elected President....I am proud of his decisions......I am proud that I have served my country...........and I am more that proud and grateful for those who have served before me......and for those who served before them..........Semper Fi

gosh Darn, cmbell

There you go, being exclusive already. above you said....

"I am more that proud and grateful for those who have served before me......and for those who served before them."

What, you're not proud of those that have served after you? LMAO

Humm, When I was in Nam, I had a girlfriend that wrote to me from Lubbuck, Tx

usmc4669
02-19-04, 07:59 AM
Good web site to learn about yellowwing ancestors, the real Americans.
http://www.indians.org/welker/chippewa.htm

Gunny

radmaw
02-19-04, 10:13 AM
I visited a few countries during my 4 years in the Marine Corps and I can honestly state that the only country I claim as mine is the good ole U.S. of A. That being said I have always said, and I'm almost 70 yrs old, that because of the name of our country it is difficult to define it as a nationality i.e. Ireland-Irish, Germany-German, etc. We can say we are Americans but so can anybody who lives in North or South America. Interesting discussion.

p.s. My name is Ricardo and I am dark skinned.

usmc4669
02-19-04, 10:40 AM
radmaw:
"We can say we are Americans but so can anybody who lives in North or South America. Interesting discussion."

Very interesting,I never though about it that way, Then you could say those from Canada could claim to be North or Canadian Americans and those from South American could claim to South or Southern Americans. How about Panama, could claim to be Mid or Center or Central Americans. Then in the United State, then we could be called Americans as we are not from the north, south or the central. Anyway I will always refer to myself as an American. The United States as far as I can remember has always been refured to as NORTH AMERICA.

Gunny

MillRatUSMC
02-19-04, 10:41 AM
Holy Cow!!! Another Ricardo...till about four years ago, I went by the english version Richard. <br />
One day while looking at a recent copy of my birth certificate, I notice my first name...Ricardo....

cmbell
02-20-04, 11:56 PM
Sparrow,

Just for the record I'm re-upping into a reserve unit here in Tex. Therefore there aren't realy any behind me at this point. I'm just saying that ya'll paved the way.

Best watch out for those Lubbock Tx girls, I came home caught one once...............so I married her.