PDA

View Full Version : Oldest living Marine

usmc4669
02-16-04, 09:46 AM
Staff Sgt. Jonathan Moor
1st Marine Corps District
SYRACUSE, NY(October 16, 2003) -- As Eugene Lee, a native of Liverpool, NY, enlisted in the Marine Corps during World War I, he never thought that he would one day be the Oldest Marine alive at 104 years old, a survivor of the Battle of Belleau Wood and a Silver Star recipient.
According to Maj. Daniel C. Kane, Inspector-Instructor at Marine Corps Reserve Center, Syracuse, NY, who during his tour as I&I has acted as the liaison between Lee and the Marine Corps, Lee's status as the Oldest Marine was discovered only recently.
"I called Headquarters Marine Corps to see who the Oldest Marine alive on record was. They told me a 103 year-old Marine living in Florida was the Oldest Marine. I told them I had them beat," explained Kane, with a sense of pride that indicated he viewed Lee as a cherished member of the local Marine Corps community.

usmc4669
02-16-04, 09:48 AM
Now I would say without a doubt he was the OLD CORPS.
Gunny

Super Dave
02-16-04, 11:51 AM
Would love to listen to his war stories...

Dragon Air
02-27-04, 04:58 PM
Does anyone realize that he truly is a "Devil Dog". How can we get in touch with him?

usmc4669
02-27-04, 06:43 PM
U.S. Marine Corps
Joseph DiPofi

Oldest Marine Story
Finds Even Older Marine

By U.S. Marine Corps Staff Sgt Jonathan Moor

NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y., Nov. 11, 2003 — At 105 years old, Joseph DiPofi, born April 11, 1898, is the Oldest Living United States Marine.

DiPofi, a Marine veteran who served honorably from 1922-1925, was found following the national release of a story about Eugene Lee, the Marine recently found living in Syracuse who was, until now, identified as the Oldest Living Marine.

DiPofi is nearly a full year older than 104 year-old Eugene Lee.

greybeard
02-27-04, 08:05 PM
Older, but 'boot' to the youngster, as the battle for Belleau Wood took place a full 2 yrs before Mr. DiPofi enlisted.
OTOH, I'm boot to almost everyone here. :)

greensideout
02-27-04, 09:46 PM
That just proves how good C-Rats are!

A new diet revolution is on the way!