PDA

View Full Version : Words of Wisdom from Major Clebe McClary USMC (retired)

MillRatUSMC
02-15-04, 09:07 PM
http://www.programresources.com/spkr/images/mcclary_clebe2.jpg

http://www.afmc.wpafb.af.mil/HQ-AFMC/PA/news/archive/2003/Feb/0238-03.htm

Broken and bleeding, McClary said he wasn’t expected to live. His men, making what they believed was a deathbed call, brought him a plaque that read,
“In this world of give and take,
there are not enough people
willing to give what it takes.”

After talking about his spiritual beliefs, McClary encouraged his listeners to give themselves and their children a few things money can’t buy — leadership, integrity and courage.

“Fellas, take that stupid cover off when you come in a building,” he said. “Stand up when a lady comes into the room, open the door for a lady, close the door. Pull her chair out, push it back. And ladies, let ‘em do it!”

Since the military loves acronyms, McClary left his audience with a few new ones:

PIG (Professional, Integrity, Guts) — “One needs to be professional, folks,” he said. “Be responsible. If you make a mistake, don’t blame somebody else. Take a stand.”

PRIDE (Personal Responsibility in Daily Effort) — “Pride in coming early and staying late, pride in shining your shoes, tucking your shirt tail in,” he said. “We’re gonna change the world and we can’t make up our beds? Something’s wrong.”

FIDO (Forget It and Drive On) — “Make a mistake, learn from it, forget it and drive on,” he said. “Don’t let somebody else’s life ruin your life.”

"They were the best you had, America,
and you turned your back on them".
~ Joe Galloway ~ Speaking about Vietnam Veterans
Among them was 1st. Lt. Clebe McClary of 1st Recon

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS I like PIG (Professional, Integrity, Guts)
Also;
“In this world of give and take,
there are not enough people
willing to give what it takes.”

MillRatUSMC
02-15-04, 09:12 PM
Where do we find women like Deanna McClary?
Commitment to Love
Jerry B. Jenkins, Deanna McClary

An example of courageous leadership
On March 3, 1968, deep inside enemy-held territory, 2nd Lieutenant Clebe McClary's recon patrol of fifteen Marines braced for an attack by a numerically superior Vietnamese force. During the initial assault, a sapper dove into McClary's fighting hole. The explosion hurled him through the air and caused a traumatic amputation of his arm. Others were severely wounded or killed.

Though disoriented and while fully exposed to enemy fire, he inspired his Marines by running between fighting positions to redirect their fire. He was then struck by a grenade blast that caused a complete loss of his eye. Though bleeding profusely, McClary retrieved the radio to call for artillery and air strikes.

Still leading the fight, again he began to move among his Marines when he was struck by another grenade blast that mutilated his legs. Weakened from injuries and unable to move, McClary continued to shout orders until the massive loss of blood caused his unconsciousness.

As he was losing consciousness, McClary recalled thinking, "I never wanted to live so much in all my life." As he lay on the ground knowing he was near death, he thought not of himself but his Marines and his wife. "If I could just live long enough to see my Marines get off this mountain alive. If I could just see my wife one more time." For his selfless sacrifice and courageous leadership under fire, McClary was awarded the Silver Star.

His body was ravaged with steel fragmentation and held together with stitches, staples, and bandages. Facially, he was unrecognizable, and his body was covered with exposed and open wounds. He spent the next two and one-half years in hospitals and rehabilitation where he had thirty-four operations and countless hours in therapy committed to rebuilding his shattered body.

McClary said over sixty-five percent of the wives of traumatically injured veterans left their husbands. But McClary's wife, Deanna, stood by him. Upon seeing him for the first time after his return from Vietnam, Deanna states in her book "Commitment To Love", "To me, he was beautiful, because he was Clebe, and he was home, and he was mine." Sneaking in before visiting hours and hiding to stay late to be with him virtually around the clock, she cared for him, assisted in changing his dressings, and took part in his therapy. Facing endless days without rest, she carried on devotedly, nursing her husband back to a full and productive life. Her actions show that not only Marines, but also their families, are imbued with our Core Values.

Major Clebe McClary USMC (retired), you're one lucky man, Deanna is an angel on earth...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

LONEEAGLE
02-16-04, 07:42 AM
Great Post. So many things said in such a short piece. I too prefer PIG....I was a Cop, and bein' that we were called PIG. Don't know if it came from the Major or vice versa. But it stands for a lot. Thanks MilRatUSMC...

yellowwing
02-16-04, 08:46 AM
Our intitial PFT required 32 sit-ups to pass. I only did 29. During my 3 extra weeks in the Physical Conditioning Platoon, Major McClary came and spoke to us.

He showed up in his dress white leaning on a cane. Even though one eye was patched, the other was glowing with cheer and motivation.

The Major told us the story of his last combat battle. He related that his relentless PT regimen had lowered his heart rate to 30 beats per minute. That's why he didn't bleed out.

Above all Major McClary credited his faith in God and his Marines for saving his life. He sure motivated the hell out of me that day! :marine: