PDA

View Full Version : Rotc

EPoe
11-19-20, 06:36 PM
I currently live in the WONDERFUL state of Colorado(I hate it here, I belong in Missouri)(Okay fine, it does have it's perks), and there is only ONE college in the entire state that offers NROTC. CU Boulder has a cross-town agreement with CU Denver for NROTC. CU Boulder is also home to AFROTC Det. 105, and has a cross-town agreement with Metropolitan State University of Denver for AFROTC and not NROTC.

I bring this up because I have been fighting a personal war for some time: commission as a Marine Lieutenant or an Air Force Lieutenant? Either way my plan is flight school and flying fighters. My Grandfather on my Dad's side was in the Army, my Dad was a Marine, I've got a cousin who is/was(?, I don't know what he's up to these days) an Army chopper pilot, a great uncle from the Navy; two Air Force great grandparents and a Navy great grandpa on my Mom's side, and two great uncles that were also in the Air Force(both officers, one flew F-4s in Desert Storm). Needles to say I have a lot of military family, it's what we do.

Now my problem is this: I've been accepted to Metro, haven't applied for CU Boulder, CU Denver doesn't have any degrees I want, and CU Boulder is expensive in relation to Metro. So does anyone here have any suggestions or know have any information on how I could cross-commission as a Marine Lt from AFROTC? (Sorry it took so long to get to my actual question, it's a bad habit)

-epoe

Zulu 36
11-20-20, 08:48 AM
I'm not certain how cross-commissioning works, however, the Marine Corps has a very different training pipeline for potential officers than does the Air Force. Going through NROTC can get you into that pipeline, if accepted.

Have you spoken to an Officer Selection Officer? (a Marine officer recruiter). He may direct you into the Platoon Leaders Class (PLC). You do the first half of OCS during your sophomore summer break, then the second half during your junior break. Once you finish your bachelors degree, you get commissioned and go on to The Basic School, then your MOS school. You can talk with the OSO about an aviation option.

advanced
11-20-20, 08:55 AM
Great advice Zulu

EPoe
11-20-20, 01:51 PM
I have not, last time I tried to do so by filling out the form on Marines.com I got put in contact with an Enlisted Recruiter. I did just find an OSO specific form.

USMC 2571
11-21-20, 09:21 AM
Good luck with all this....and just by the way, in all my years here you are the first one to use my quote as your favorite quote, in your profile. Congrats on your excellent taste.

advanced
12-10-20, 09:05 AM
Good luck with all this....and just by the way, in all my years here you are the first one to use my quote as your favorite quote, in your profile. Congrats on your excellent taste.
Uh oh, if this new guy likes this way of thinking Dave, maybe we better watch him closely. Your post is very true though.