PDA

View Full Version : Military Police Question

yellowwing
02-14-04, 12:26 PM
Do the Provost Marshalls in Pendleon, Lejuene, Okinawa have a SWAT team?

namgrunt
02-14-04, 12:49 PM
I served as a Base MP at Pendleton between tours in Vietnam. I don't recall a specifically defined SWAT team in the company. We did practice elements of riot control, but mainly manned the gates of the base. In addition, we had mobile units for patrolling the base and beaches, as well as town patrols.

Remember, this was way back in 1967. Modern day requirements may have changed the needs, mandating the formation of such a quick response team for special situations.

Just out of curiosity, why do you ask? Did someone identify themself to you as an MP-SWAT member?

namgrunt

yellowwing
02-14-04, 01:03 PM
No, I rented that movie lately and wondered about our capabilities. If a stressed out Marine in base housing goes postal...who do you call?

When on Air Show guard detail in El Toro, they gave us a magazine wrapped in a yard of duct tape. The explanation was, "If anything really happens just get on your radio and hunker down. The MPs have a reaction force on stand by."

namgrunt
02-14-04, 02:01 PM
There was just such a situation back in '67. Some trainee, in ITR at San Onofre, lost his marbles. He had saved several rounds over time, from the rifle range. One night, he was supposed to have broken into the weapons rack, and stolen an M14, loading a magazine with his pilfered ammo. He went AWOL from ITR and started hunting targets.
He was said to have stepped out onto the road going from San Clemente's gate heading mainside, and put a bullet through the windshield of a family's car, hitting the driver. We didn't have a "SWAT" team or group to handle the situation. We put out all our personnel, but didn't comb the hills. A manhunt was initiated, but regular grunts were used to find the guy.
The incident was not released to press, as far as I know. What happened to him, and whether heads rolled isn't in my memory. You must remember that SWAT hadn't been invented in 1967. It was developed later by law enforcement. It would be natural for a Military Police equivalent to be formed, when civilian SWAT's effectiveness was noted.

namgrunt

SgtDvlDog3
02-14-04, 04:01 PM
Yes there is. They typically are referred to as HRT's (Hostage Rescue Team)
There is good information out there on a site called www.specialoperations.com under the Federal/Military Units link. Camp Lejeune and 29 Palms both have them and have trained with some of the best military and civilian teams who are experts in CQB (Close Quarters Battle). Also type in Marine HRT in your web search engine and see what you find. Good Luck and Semper Fi.