PDA

View Full Version : Marines win at NFL Military Challenge

thedrifter
02-14-04, 07:08 AM
Marines win at NFL Military Challenge
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 200421318147
Story by Lance Cpl. Rich Mattingly

WAIKIKI, Hawaii(February 6, 2004) -- Six Marines from the Kaneohe Bay All-Star football team, Marine Corps Base Hawaii, disposed of teams from the Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy and Army to win the 4th Annual NFL Military Challenge at Kapiolani Park Feb. 6.

The competition, a highlight of the Pro Bowl weekend festivities on Oahu, featured teams from Oahu-based military installations squaring off in five football-based events.

The first event was the field goal contest, and the Marines started their domination early. Kicker Tim Legros, an air framer with Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 363, blasted a near-perfect nine of 10 field goals to put the Marines in first place.

After Legros' outstanding performance, with assistance from Chris Watkins as holder, it was time for the rest of the team to spring into action in the training camp obstacle course.

Three members of each team ran through the course, consisting of tackling dummies, a foot-speed drill and hanging dummies. Raymond Bell, a motor transport technician with Combat Service Support Group 3 and a first-year base all star, led the way, followed by Shama Hernandez, a statistics chief, and Julio Pena, an assault man with Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment.

After the fast-paced event saw the Marines' first-place edge slipping to strong performances by the Coast Guard and Navy, the Marines knew they needed to step it up a notch in the long-snapping competition.

"We're going to bring it home this year," said Bell. "We're a very well-rounded team, and while the other teams are also really good, we think we've got the edge."

Nick Chapman, an embarker with CSSG-3, showed Bell's confidence to be well placed, easily clearing five of nine targets with his long-snapping skills.

The Army team, arriving late, managed six of nine, but was considered ineligible after missing two events.

The Marines held a formidable lead over the field going in to the 40-yard dash, but the Army and Navy proved a touch faster, just edging the Marines by a few tenths of a second.

Punting and passing competitions rounded out the day's events, designed to challenge all the skills required for gridiron success.

Watkins took his turn at center stage for the Marines, sending booming punts downrange like so many 155mm shells. The punting competition was based on accuracy and distance, with penalty yards assessed to off-center kicks.

Finally, with the title on the line after another strong showing in the punt competition from the other services, the other five Marines hit the field to receive passes from quarterback Bell. Receivers could not move their feet in any way to assist in catching the ball.

After a questionable call against the Marines - who tied the Army with eight of 10 receptions - officials held a tie-breaking throw-off. Showing a "never-say-die" spirit, the Marines won the throw-off and took the win.

After celebrating died down, the Marines accepted a trophy from the NFL, commemorating their first NFL Military Challenge victory.

"It's been a lot of fun," said Kristin Taft, a consolidated memorandum receipt clerk with Headquarters Bn., MCB Hawaii, who came to Kapiolani Park to support the Marines. "It's also a great feeling to dominate like we did today."

The Marines went home, happy with their victory and said they look forward to competing again next year.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/3FE4FD2DFD6030C985256E39007FA2C8?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

thedrifter
02-14-04, 07:10 AM
Story Identification Number: 2004213181035
Story by Steven Kalnasy

HONOLULU, Hawaii(Feb. 8, 2004) -- In what could be billed as football's winter vacation for its lack of gridiron excitement, the 2004 Pro Bowl held at Aloha Stadium Feb. 8 turned out to be one of the most exciting football games of the year.

"It was an awesome game!" said Raymond Bell, a Marine assigned to Combat Service Support Group 3 at Marine Corps Base Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay. "It had everything: intrigue, suspense, cheerleaders, and my favorite player, Steve McNair."

Highlighted by the numerous offensive records that were broken (there were 15 in all), the game turned out to be the hottest ticket in town. Throughout the first half, the red shirts of the AFC manhandled the blue shirts of the NFC, giving them the impression that they would pull off another big victory after the Patriots narrowly beat Carolina in the Super Bowl a week earlier.

With a combined 293 passing yards by NFL co-MVPs Peyton Manning and Steve McNair, the NFC appeared to be down for the count with a mid-game score of 31-13. It was only after halftime that the NFC came alive.

The decision by NFC Coach Andy Reid to bring in backup QB Mark Bulger of the St. Louis Rams turned out to be just what was needed to turn the game around. Throwing four touchdowns in the third quarter, Bulger set a new Pro Bowl record for most TDs in a game (a record previously held by legends Joe Theismann and Phil Simms).

Completing 12 of his 21 passes (for 152 yards, with just one interception), Bulger's dismantling of the AFC was virtually set in stone when Detroit's Dre' Bly put the NFC on top with his 32-yard interception off of Manning, converting the catch into a game-leading touchdown.

With last-ditch hopes of coming back to tie the game in the last seconds of the game, Colts place-kicker Mike Vanderjagt's failed field goal attempt proved once and for all why it's a good idea not to leave a football game early. The change of fortunes orchestrated by Bulger earned him the MVP award.

"I didn't do it alone; it was a team effort," said Bulger after the win.
Prior to the game, many of Hawaii's military personnel gathered to enjoy the spectacle of the NFL's best players in action. Everywhere you looked, you could find soldiers, Sailors, airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsman showing their patriotism and love for their respective home teams.

"Being here really makes me think of my fellow Marines overseas. It makes me appreciate what America stands for," said Bell. "When the 'National Anthem' was played, I was overwhelmed with feelings of pride. And when that eagle "Challenger" flew into the stadium, it nearly brought tears to my eyes," he explained.

Those sentiments of patriotism and gratitude were shared by many of the players who were in town to participate in the game too. Denver Broncos running back Clinton Portis said he felt not only privileged to be part of the game, but also humbled by what America's fighting men and women do for him.

"They put their lives on the line for us every day. What I do doesn't even compare," he said.

Offering words of encouragement to those preparing to deploy in support of the war on terror, Hall of Fame Coach Marv Levi said he has tremendous admiration for the Marines.

"My father was a Marine who fought at the Battle of Belleau Wood with the 4th Marine Brigade. There's no one I honor more than Marines.
"They have my very best wishes and my admiration. Our nation is fortunate to have a dedicated fighting force to protect us ... to keep us free."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/0889BFA98A3F886185256E39007F5022?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger

thedrifter
02-14-04, 07:11 AM
Youngsters receive all-star visitor
Story Identification Number: 2004213181141
Story by Cpl. Monroe F. Seigle

MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII, KANEOHE BAY, Hawaii(February 5, 2004) -- Every year, the Pro Bowl comes to the island of Oahu and unites football fans of all ages for an exciting game of fast-paced football. This year, one of the NFL's star players came to MCB Hawaii, Kaneohe Bay, to spend some time with Marines, Sailors and the youngsters who cheered him on during the 2003-2004 season.

Green Bay Packers guard Marco Rivera arrived aboard K-Bay, Feb. 5, and met with many excited service and family members at Pop Warner Field.

"I appreciate what the military service members stand and fight for," said the 6-foot-4-inch Rivera. "I do not think Marines and Sailors get enough credit for what they do. A lot of them spend a lot of time away from their children and families to make sure ours are safe.

"I love my country and feel honored to meet and shake the hands of the men and women that defend it," he said.

Rivera introduced himself to fans and then spent some time doing several stretches before running a variety of basic football drills. Several members of the MCB Hawaii Intramural Football Team also helped the kids.

"Once a year, the Pro Bowl comes around, and MCB Hawaii always does its best to show support," said Ed Hanlon, a public relations coordinator for Marine Corps Community Services Hawaii. "This year, we were fortunate enough to host Marco Rivera. He seemed to be honored to have a chance to spend time with Marines, Sailors and their family members."

Before departing MCB Hawaii, Rivera sat at the front of a long line of fans. He signed shirts, sports jerseys, footballs and a variety of photos of himself.

"I enjoyed mostly playing with the kids out here," explained Rivera. "I have a football camp in San Juan, Puerto Rico. These kids are our future, and I like nothing more than to give them a helping hand and encourage them to excel in life.

"I believe that just playing and talking with children can give them an outlet to learn through sports, and make positive accomplishments in life."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/49FE74121723154B85256E39007F69DB?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger