PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the full scoop on this?

greensideout
02-13-04, 08:11 PM
I had a chance to scan over an article today in Esquire magazine. I must say that it really set me to thinking about the war in Iraq, the new world order and big corporations.

It was titled, if I am correct, "Hired Guns".

It tells the writer's story about being there in Iraq with "contract security personnel".

I'm not going to try to tell the whole story but instead just give a thumb-nail view.

By his estimation, as many "contract personnel" are there as are US troops.

The government thinks that they cost less because they won't be lined up at the VA 30 years from now.

What I was thinking was this---We have "corporation soldiers" doing the work of corporations for our government in other countries paid for with our taxes and it is nothing but business and money that they serve. Not duty, not honor, not country. Just a quick buck.

How much do they make? $150,000 yr. to start. With experience and in a very hostile zone they can make $250,000 yr. according to the writer.

The cost to the US tax payer---Billions of dollars in contracts.

It is an interesting read, a lot of "action talk" and he says that he was there in Iraq with men that served in the Marine Corps.

TracGunny
02-13-04, 08:15 PM
GSO: got the Volume # or date on the rag? Sounds like an interesting read...

greensideout
02-13-04, 08:18 PM
Trac, this month Feb or Mar.

usmc4669
02-13-04, 08:44 PM
greensideout:

I think what you are referring to is security guards positions; their job are to protect the Banks, water systems, electric plants etc, not to fight in combat, not to replace combat personnel. My son who has retired from the Marines could have got in for this. The reason behind it was to free up combat troops so that they could do the job that they were trained to do, so don't get upset.
Gunny

greensideout
02-13-04, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by usmc4669
greensideout:

I think what you are referring to is security guards positions; their job are to protect the Banks, water systems, electric plants etc, not to fight in combat, not to replace combat personnel. My son who has retired from the Marines could have got in for this. The reason behind it was to free up combat troops so that they could do the job that they were trained to do, so don't get upset.
Gunny

No, that's not what I'm referring to.

Me, upset? :D Guess you don't know me yet.

Read the story and tell me what you think.

My feelings are based upon more then the story alone.

Learning things is a lot like putting together a pizza.

ivalis
02-13-04, 09:37 PM
green, have read in various places about the mercenaries we have been using. guarding the pipelines the most notable.

it's an "off the books" army. nothing new, somewhat sinister in my mind however.

TracGunny
02-13-04, 09:44 PM
Learning things is a lot like putting together a pizza. Okay, you got me... One ingriedient at a time?

CAS3
02-14-04, 06:36 PM
http://cpolsdev.belvoir.army.mil/sofia/

This is what was sent to me for a new position. I found out you can start at $125,000 easily. You need to have a secret clearance.
Most of my retired friends have considered this.
Positions range from cooks to IT to security persons.