PDA

View Full Version : Question about cammies

Pvt Crybaby
02-13-04, 01:02 PM
Is there any regulation prohibiting me from giving a set of cammies to my fiancee as a gift? She's into fashion and all that and she's expressed a real admiration for the design and colors of the desert digitals and I thought it'd be a nice gift to get her a set with just her name on them (e.g. without the U.S. Marines nametape on it).

Is there any order or regulation that says I can't?

namgrunt
02-13-04, 01:46 PM
Considering that you can buy older cammies in Army/Navy surplus stores, I don't see a problem, as long as all logos, such as "U.S.Marines" nametape, are removed. However, I'm not an expert on the UCMJ, and don't want to steer you into an Article 15 hearing. Since you are active duty, the person to ask would be your platoon guide, or the company Gunny.

Another place to find out would be your base library. Use your noodle and research this yourself. Once you find and review the regulations, you can get verification from your superiors. Who knows, she might even get to keep the nametape, as long as she doesn't use the uniform to impersonate a Marine.

The ball is in your court.

Namgrunt

RoboRobinson17
02-13-04, 01:51 PM
Lets use your brain housing group on this one Devil Dog. Marines aren't allowed to wear the utes anywhere but while on duty, or enroute home or to. We are NOT the Army, we do not go to restaurants in them, and only to a store if it is a DIRE EMERGENCY, i.e., my child ran out of baby formula, wife don't breast feed, and we need some asap. Now, if MARINES, those who have EARNED THE RIGHT TO WEAR THE UNIFORM, aren't allowed to do it, why should a CIVILIAN? No US MARINES name tape, but what about our beloved Eagle Globe and Anchor? If she likes them so much, tell her to sign the papers and earn a pair herself. We are not JcPennys.

Semper Fi

TracGunny
02-13-04, 02:51 PM
To help you in your quest for knowledge, try looking at a nice list of Marine Corps Orders (there are over 600 listed, and that doesn't include the Publications...).

http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/web+orders

Every 1st Sgt has a copy of the orders pertaining to Uniform Regulations sitting somewhere in their office...

usmchauer
02-13-04, 04:11 PM
I see no problem with her wearing the uniform. As long as she doesn't try to pass herself off as a Marine, like namgrunt said. Maybe you should start a poll.

cmbell
02-13-04, 05:01 PM
I would go to a surpus store and buy a set of cammies with out name tapes. I'm not real sure about the digital cammies though. My wife wore my cammies without the US MARINES on the blouse last year on Halloween. I didn't see any problem with it. Check the Marine Corps policy.

leroy8541
02-13-04, 06:33 PM
If I had me a pair of them new cammies I'd wear the lint out of em. even to the Store.

VMGRMech
02-13-04, 11:37 PM
Don't do it. Its still difficult for Marines around here to get the new digitial uniform. Don't waste a pair on yo' beeyotch.

And no chick wants a set of cammies as a gift...hope your couch is comfortable.

GreenSB
02-26-04, 03:36 PM
I just recently got the new MCCUU digital cammies ....and my wife wears around my old analog cammies from time to time.....when she doesn't want to get her jeans dirty........

But the digital cammies are different...they are exclusively designed for the Marine Corps and for certain Navy Units......

At any rate......I wouldn't go cruising through the PX with her on your arm.....if she's wearing a piece of your uniform modified to look "cool"

imagine the heat you'd catch!

bobpage
02-27-04, 09:43 AM
The Marine Moto shop at CamPen near the exchange has the desert digital pattern trousers for kids, I bought a pair for my son. If they now have the bigger sizes, try a Moto shop near you. Those are not uniform items, just look like it. That should do.

thedrifter
02-27-04, 10:19 AM
Issue Date: March 01, 2004

Now, your CO can decide the cammies you will wear

By Gordon Lubold
Times staff writer

Soon, you may not have as much room to express your individuality while wearing cammies.
Corps officials are tightening what had been fairly liberal policy regarding where and when Marines can wear the new combat utility uniform.

Commanders now have authority to say whether Marines wear the desert or woodland versions of the pixel-pattern uniform introduced two years ago.

The change, announced in a Jan. 14 Corpswide message, allows commanders to create more uniformity in the ranks.

Previously, commanders could require Marines to wear a particular style of cammies only for formation, ceremonies or other special events. Now, they have that authority all the time.

“What the [policy] has done is to give commanders the authority to dictate which style can be worn,” said Mary Boyt, a Marine Corps Uniform Board official at Quantico, Va.

Since Marines started buying the new cammies in early 2002, they’ve been allowed to wear either the desert or the green versions, along with the old woodland-pattern utilities, which are authorized for wear until October 2006. Within a given unit, Marines could wear either uniform.

But some commanders grew concerned Marines looked too rag-tag and asked Commandant Gen. Mike Hagee to tighten the policy.

“The intent was to give commanders a little bit more control,” said Sgt. Maj. John Estrada, sergeant major of the Marine Corps.

Marines aren’t required to own a set of the green pixel-pattern utilities until October, but most leathernecks have bought at least one pair.

Corps officials originally set an October 2003 deadline for every Marine to have at least one set, but that deadline slid a year due to distribution problems with online uniform sales.

Most commanders aren’t likely to exercise their newfound authority, given that uniformity is all but impossible during the transition period between camouflage uniforms. Only a handful of commanders asked for the change, Marine officials said.

Silence, by the way, is golden. Under the new policy, if the commander doesn’t offer guidance, Marines can wear any utility uniform they please, Boyt said.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=0-MARINEPAPER-2656035.php

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

Dragon Air
02-27-04, 04:28 PM
I would go to a surplus store and buy her a digital set. They are close but not the same as the issue. (The EGA is not present).

Or you can follow Namgrunt's advice. Research the rules and regs yourself. Then you will be able to back yourself up in case anyone gets on to you. Like TracGunny said, there are over 600 orders. There is no way anyone knows them all. Like the Sgt Maj used to tell us, "The same rules that hang you can save you."