PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor

usmc4669
02-13-04, 12:28 PM
The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force which can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the Armed Services of the United States. Generally presented to its recipient by the President of the United States of America in the name of Congress, it is often called the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Mary Walker was the only woman awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor at Bull Run on July 21,1861.

Douglas Munro was the only Coast Guard recipient. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions at Point Cruz,
Guadalcanal, on September 27, 1942.

Since the formation of a separate Air Force in 1947 there have been seventeen recipients.

There are nineteen double recipients.

William Carney was the first African-American recipient. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on July 18,1863 at Fort Wagner, SC.

There have been 87 African-American MOH Recipients.

There have been 41 Hispanic-American MOH Recipients.

There have been 31 Asian-American MOH Recipients.

There have been 22 Native-American MOH Recipients.

Originally the Medal of Honor was only presented to the enlisted, but on March 3, 1863 this was extended to officers as well.
The last action in which the Medal of Honor was awarded was Mogadishu, Somalia on October 3, 1993. The Medals were awarded posthumously to the families of Gary I. Gordon and Randall D. Shugart. They were members of "The Delta Force" aka Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta.

Our Souls Cry Out

Our souls cry out when they say, “ gone but not forgotten,” because we are forgotten by so many.
You accept the good life, all without a thought, claiming it is your right. The right to live and do as you will. A special life, ah ‘ tis that indeed.
A piece of metal forged into a design, tied with a ribbon was our reward. We were grateful.
Tiny crosses dot the earth around the world. Many stand in foreign soil, never to be seen by our families, some here at home in sacred ground.
Perhaps you think them pretty in their symmetrical rows, not one individually stands out. Nay, they are more, these emblems insure you the right to be individuals in all things. Even to ignore our reasons for dying.
Take heed of us and the histories of the past. Remember our country, our peoples and why we lived and died.
YOU—are the nation, make it great again, become proud. Remember us so our souls no longer feel the need to cry out.

Written by Virginia R. Swan(Windrich)
Memorial Day 1998?

Super Dave
02-13-04, 12:58 PM
We dedicated our new building the our Marine Corp League and the Young Marines about two weeks ago. There were 2 MOH Recipients in attendance. One was the Marine we named the building after:

GALER, ROBERT EDWARD

Rank and organization: Major, U.S. Marine Corps, Marine Fighter Sqdn. 244. Place: Solomon Islands Area. Entered service at: Washington. Born: 23 October 1913, Seattle, Wash. Other Navy awards: Navy Cross, Distinguished Flying Cross. Citation: For conspicuous heroism and courage above and beyond the call of duty as leader of a marine fighter squadron in aerial combat with enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon Islands area. Leading his squadron repeatedly in daring and aggressive raids against Japanese aerial forces, vastly superior in numbers, Maj. Galer availed himself of every favorable attack opportunity, individually shooting down 11 enemy bomber and fighter aircraft over a period of 29 days. Though suffering the extreme physical strain attendant upon protracted fighter operations at an altitude above 25,000 feet, the squadron under his zealous and inspiring leadership shot down a total of 27 Japanese planes. His superb airmanship, his outstanding skill and personal valor reflect great credit upon Maj. Galer's gallant fighting spirit and upon the U.S. Naval Service.

namgrunt
02-13-04, 01:06 PM
There is a civilian version of the CMH. I know, because one of my former employers, a celebrity, was presented with this honor, for his personal sacrifices in performing USO shows before our servicemen in forgotten outposts. I don't recall seeing a physical medal, just a large document with the declaration from Congress, suitable for framing.

Knowing my military background, he proudly showed me his award. I said "Uhuh.", and just nodded my head. I felt sick inside. To think of all the valiant men who had died, or been marked forever, in order to qualify for the same "named" accolade. And this guy got one for headlining a series of singing shows in Beirut, Bosnia, and on ships at sea. I bit my tongue and walked away.

I believe Bob Hope was also awarded with this civilian version for his USO accomplisments as well. Life is strange sometimes.

Semper Fi!
Namgrunt

Super Dave
02-13-04, 01:10 PM
Bob hope is the only person ever awarder the title of Honorary Veteran, He has stated on MANY occasions the awarding of that title was the greatest thing that he had ever received.

usmc4669
02-13-04, 01:30 PM
namgrunt

There is a civilian version of the CMH. I know, because one of my former employers, a celebrity, was presented with this honor, for his personal sacrifices in performing USO shows before our servicemen in forgotten outposts. I don't recall seeing a physical medal, just a large document with the declaration from Congress, suitable for framing.

Marine you need to calm down, civilian Medal does not compare with the Military Medal Of Honor. Some civilans like the Firemen and Policeman in NY who on 911 gave their lives to save brothers earns that Medal given to civilans.

Right or wrong?
Gunny

namgrunt
02-14-04, 12:41 AM
Roger, Gunny, I hear you. I am calm. I was calm when I wrote the entry above. At the time in the past when the event happened, I wasn't angry, I felt dejected and confused.

Its just that I've read more than a bit about the Medal of Honor winners this nation has had, and what they went through to qualify for its bestowal. It makes my heart both proud at their heroism, and sad at the same time, for the cost many paid.
I know I don't have to explain it to any man or woman on this website. You all know the prices paid, whether the recipient died, or survived to wear the medal.

Physically, it is just a bit of metal and a fancy ribbon. Psychologically, it is the effort of a nation to put a maximum value on selfless courage, honor, and bravery on the field of battle by one combatant. It has been paid for, over and over again, in blood. It is priceless in the truest essence of the word. You cannot legally buy it, nor are you to pass it on to another in exchange for favors or goods.

I believe the policemen, firefighters, and paramedics who were killed in the WTC Towers totally deserved their CMH awards. They died in service to their city and its citizens. Their sacrifice is priceless too, despite the squabbling afterward by surviving families. Nothing can lessen their sacrifice or cheapen their actions.

I was sad to see it awarded for belting out songs and getting loads of free publicity. Whether the man deserved it wasn't my call. Congress is the body which decided that question. It was the shock of seeing the title on his award, a title which I had always thought was reserved for the most solemn miltary award.
The Congressional Medal of Honor.

Semper Fi!
Namgrunt

namgrunt
02-14-04, 12:30 PM
For the record:

The document I saw didn't contain the statement or title "...Congressional Medal of Honor..."
As I recall, it read, in part, "Congress takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to (name)...."

Semper Fi!
namgrunt

yellowwing
02-14-04, 01:16 PM
What is is now? An extra $100 a month and your kids gets a scholarship to Annapolis? I'm sure that those warriors and those that they safe guarded would consider it a trifle after thought.

The tale of First Sergeant Jimmy E. Howard and Hill 488 (http://www.mclm.com/tohonor/jhoward.html) is my favorite.

usmc4669
02-14-04, 01:28 PM
yellowwing:

Hill 488 was good reading. I was at Chu Lai when this took place. The Grunts did one hell of a job, the day they got releived by the Army we got hit with motors from the VC.

Gunny

yellowwing
02-14-04, 02:31 PM
I just hope that these crops of Polees understand that they will become part of the Brotherhood that is capable of super human efforts. I can't think of any citation that the recipient wasn't acting on behalf of the rest of their crew.

MAJMike
02-14-04, 03:31 PM
While at MCRD San Diego awaiting my transition to Field Radio Opr. School in '68 (which was at MCRD SD in '68) I worked as a base MP and brig chaser under the command of GySgt Jimmy Howard, MOH, who was serving as the base Provost Marshal at the time.

To wit:

First Sergeant Jimmy E. Howard
USMC
Born on July 27, 1929, in Burlington, Iowa Howard enlisted in the Corps on July 12, 1950. He went to Boot Camp at San Diego, California and was promoted to Private First Class upon Graduation.

1952 saw Howard in Korea where he was awarded the Silver Star for his actions in that conflict.

Returning to the States, he served in several units until January of 1955 when he was assigned as a Squad Leader with the 1st Amphibious Reconnaissance Company FMF. SSgt came his way in May of 1957. His date with a Marine Reconnaissance Team, a mountain top in a small Asian country and a Battalion of North Vietnamese troops was fast approaching.

On 13 June 1966, a flight of helos landed Howard and his 17 man team on hill 488. At 1500 feet elevation and 25 miles west of the Marine Base at Chu Lai, it provided an outstanding vantage point to observe enemy movement. Other than one man fox holes left by the enemy which the SSgt also used for observation, there was little cover, no trees, just grass and scrub vegetation.

For two days, Howard's team reported on the movements of the NVA and called several fire missions. While there was some concern about the team's exposed position, the decision was made to* leave them there for one more day.

The NVA and Viet Cong, determined to wipe out this group of Marines, began to move into position for a surprise attack.*

At approximately 22:00 that night, from 12 feet away, LCpl R. Binns shot a well camouflaged infiltrator and the fight was on. This action would see every surviving Marine in the unit wounded, and would add one Medal of Honor, four Navy Crosses and thirteen Silver Stars to the Corps legacy of courage.

Withdrawing to the main position, around 20 meters in diameter Howard prepared to defend his perimeter. Grenades began to rain into the position.

The NVA had four .50 cal. Machine guns firing in support of the assault, tracer rounds were zipping in from the four points of the compass, light machine guns added their rattle to the sounds of war and then 60-mm mortar shells smashed in, sending rock and metal shrapnel fragments shrieking through the area.* A well coordinated assault by the NVA began from several different points. The Marines fire scythed through the communist ranks. The first attack failed and the communists began probing the Marine perimeter.

Marines, listening for movement heaved grenades, often, confused jabbering followed by a blast told of the effectiveness of this tactic. Howard called in and requested an extraction. "You've gottta get us out of here. There are too many for my people."

The SSgt called for air support. Flare ships, helos and fixed wing aircraft were sent from the air base at Nui Vu. Around midnight as the Marines were still waiting for the air to arrive, the communist forces rushed the Marine position a second time. The Marines threw their last grenades and fired weapons on semi auto, relying on that famed Marine Corps accuracy with individual weapons to suppress the attack. This second frontal assault failed, but not entirely. By now every Marine on the hill was wounded or had been killed.

Out of the dark, coming up the slopes came a sound Marines in other battles had heard before, "Marines-you die tonight!" Other foes had tried this before, the Germans in W.W.I, The Japanese on small, bloody tropic islands in the Pacific and the communist Chinese and Koreans. But, what didn't work before, wouldn't work on these Marines either. The Marines shouted back their own comments and Howard took the opportunity to apply his own psyop tactic and on call., had all his Marines laugh at the Vietnamese.

Around 01:00 air support was on station, and as the first flares dropped and lit the darkness the men on the beleaguered hill top were able to see the enemy which seemed to fill the valley. At altitudes as low as 20 feet the helo gun ships roared in delivering long deadly bursts of machine gun fire. The fixed wing jets dived to the attack, napalm added to the strange light of the flares, punctuated by the thunder and flash of the bombs they dropped on the massed communist troops. Under Howard's guidance, the guns ships were directed on runs which strafed the enemy to within 25 meters of Marine positions.

Low on ammo, Howard ordered his men to shoot only at identified targets and only one shot at a time. The enemy hammered the Marines with automatic fire and threw grenades. The Marines returned deadly aimed fire and threw rocks, shooting at the shapes which darted away from the noise believing that the rock was a grenade.

As the seconds of the minutes of the hours slowly ticked off to sunrise, each Marine fought his own battle and several died in their position. Hours later, the relieving force found one Marine propped against a rock. To his front, a dead NVA trooper. The muzzles of each's weapon touching the chest of the other. Two Marine e-tools, (small folding shovels) were found near a group of mangled communist dead, covered in blood. Another Marine was found dead on the ground. Bandaged about the chest and head, his hand still clutched the hilt of a knife buried in the back of the enemy soldier on top of him.

By 0300 an extraction was attempted, but was not successful due to the intense enemy fire. Howard was told he would have to hold until sunrise. Shortly thereafter Howard was struck in the back by a ricochet. His voice on the radio faltered. All who were listening thought the brave Marine had died, but then, his voice came back strong across the miles.

Refusing morphine because of the drowsing effects the drug has, Howard, unable to use his legs pulled himself under fire to each position. Dragging his radio with him he directed fire and encouraged his Marines. At 05:25 Howard shouted to the embattled Marines, "Ok you people, reveille goes in 35 minutes." At exactly 06:00 his voice floated out over the Marine positions, "Reveille, reveille!"

45 minutes after dawn with air and artillery preparation of a landing zone, Charlie Company of the Fifth Marines (Infantry) dropped in and started towards Howard's position. By the time they reached the besieged Marine position, the recon Marines had eight rounds left.

Fighting continued heavy and hot as choppers maneuvered to evacuate the men from the top of the hill. From Chu Lai, the Battalion Commander called Charlie Co. asking 'Is the landing zone secure?" over the radio.* "Well," a hesitation, "...not spectacularly" Back in the relative safety of the base, a junior Noncommissioned Officer asked, "What does he mean by that?" Said an older, saltier veteran, "What the hell do you think it means, stupid? He's getting shot at!"

After hard and often hand to hand combat, and under continued air and artillery cover the Charlie Co. grunts began moving causalities to the LZ for evacuation. Marines never leave their dead or wounded on the field. By noon the communist survivors began to slip away and soon the hill was quiet.

The Marines lost 10 dead, Charlie Co and the Huey squadron lost 2 each. Of the Reconnaissance Marines, six had been killed; the other 12 were wounded. The enemy left better than 30 of his men dead on the hill.

Howard's citation for the Medal of Honor reads;

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as a Platoon Leader, Company C, First Reconnaissance Battalion, First Marine Division, in the Republic of Vietnam. Gunnery Sergeant Howard and his eighteen-man platoon were occupying an observation post deep within enemy controlled territory. Shortly after midnight on June 1966, a Viet Cong force of estimated battalion size approached the Marine's position and launched a vicious attack with small arms, automatic weapons and mortar fire. Reacting swiftly and fearlessly in the face of overwhelming odds, Gunnery Sergeant Howard skillfully organized his small but determined force into a tight perimeter defense and calmly moved from position to position to direct his men's fire. Throughout the night, during assault after assault, his courageous example and firm leadership inspired and motivated his men to withstand the unrelenting fury of the hostile fire in the seemingly hopeless situation. He constantly shouted encouragement to his men and exhibited imagination and resourcefulness in directing their return fire. When fragments of an exploding enemy grenade wounded him severely and prevented him from moving his legs, he distributed his ammunition to the remaining members of his platoon and proceeded to maintain radio communications and direct air strikes on the enemy with uncanny accuracy. At dawn, despite the fact that five men were killed and all but one wounded, his beleaguered platoon was still in command of its position. When evacuation helicopters approached his position, Gunnery Sergeant Howard warned them away and called for additional air strikes and directed devastating small arms fire and air strikes against enemy automatic weapons positions in order to make the landing zone as secure as possible. Through his extraordinary courage and resolute fighting spirit, Gunnery Sergeant Howard was largely responsible for preventing the loss of his entire platoon. His valiant leadership and courageous fighting spirit served to inspire the men of his platoon to heroic endeavor in the face of overwhelming odds, and reflect highest credit upon Gunnery Sergeant Howard, the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service"

First Sergeant Howard retired from the Marine Corps to Point Loma Ca, and died Nov. 12, 1993.

TracGunny
02-14-04, 04:49 PM
You can find complete list of Marine Medal of Honor recipients at:
http://hqinet001.hqmc.usmc.mil/HD/Historical/Frequently_Requested/Medal_of_Honor.htm

Citations and short biographies are available; you can search by name or campaign...

SheWolf
02-14-04, 09:41 PM
[
I was sad to see it awarded for belting out songs and getting loads of free publicity. Whether the man deserved it wasn't my call. Congress is the body which decided that question. It was the shock of seeing the title on his award, a title which I had always thought was reserved for the most solemn miltary award.
The Congressional Medal of Honor.

Semper Fi!
Namgrunt [/B][/QUOTE]

well I don't know,,, I think that celebrities who go to entertain the troops could deserve it,,, not if they only do it once,, but a man like Bob Hope I would say certainly qualifies ....

I can imagine the joy he spread to the guy/gals who were far away from home,, and so what if it got him some publicity,,,
he did it for the troops :yes:

namgrunt
02-14-04, 10:31 PM
That may be the case. I noted that it is Congress who gets together and declares these awards to American citizens. I liked USO shows when I was able to see them at all. I also don't hold it against the many entertainers who have gone into a zone of questionable security to cheer up our kids. But couldn't Congress come up with a different name? In fact, Bob Hope's name would be an ideal title for such an award. The Hope Medal. He is the one who brought recognition for USO show performances.

namgrunt

MillRatUSMC
02-14-04, 11:13 PM
USO troupers also were recipents of Purple Hearts.
Case in point Wynn Murray.
DEAR ANN:
You recently printed a letter from a World War II vet,
who asked about Wynn Murray, a young singer with a USO troupe
who entertained soldiers on Moro-tai in 1944. She performed in a
downpour while lightning streaked across the sky. He said she was magnificent, and asked whatever happened to her.
Thank you for printing that letter, Ann.
Wynn Murray was my sister. Shortly after Wynn performed
for those troops, she was hit with shrapnel in New Guinea, for which she received the Purple Heart. She was lucky. Two young chorus girls from the company were killed.
Later, Wynn went to the European theater, where she met and marrieda captain in the U.S. Army. She then retired and settled down as an Army wife. She and her husband had three daughters, Mary, Alice and Kathleen.
In 1957, Wynn died at the age of 35 from a heart attack. She is buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
Please tell the man who wrote how much our family appreciated his kind words about my sister. Her daughters were very young when Wynn died, and his letter gave them some insight into their mother. It meant a great deal to us that she has not been forgotten. —
Ann Henning
in Carbondale, Pa.
Sad to say I have been able to find any photo of Ms Wynn Murray anywhere.
She was on stage in the late thirties.
I like this;
[Wynn Murray]
I was I,
You were you,
And now we're only we.
We are one
Who were two,
Or we had better be.

[Jimmy Savo]
"I now pronounce you man and wife"
Are magic words like "Open Sesame.''

[Wynn]
But though they made you mine for life,
They also made you think much less o' me.

[Jimmy]
It only shows how little you know of it.

[Wynn]
I know a pair who made quite a go of it.

Refrain 1

[Wynn]
He was a man who was very fond of , women.
She was a girl who was very fond of men.
She had a taste for both corpulent and slim men.
He wouldn't look at a lady under ten.
She went abroad just to find a man to marry.
He went abroad just to find himself a wife.
She didn't want any Tom or Dick or Harry.
He sought a mate who'd be true to him for life.
She fell in love with the angle of his eyebrow.
He fell in love with the dimple on her knee.
And when they wed,
He went around with other women
And she went with other men.
And that is he and she!

Refrain 2

[Jimmy]
He always said, "I would like to have a daughter."
She always said, "I would like to have a son."
She took to kids like a duckling takes to water.
He always thought having babies would be fun.
He told her this on the very day he met her.
She said, "The wish is the father to the sport."
He bought a house, in the nursery he set her.
She helped the stork make his annual report.
He won renown as the father of a squadron.
She won awards for her prolificacy.
And just because,
And just because they loved their children
They got married after all.
And that is he and she!

Refrain 3

[Jimmy]
She was so pure as the snow before it's driven.

[Wynn]
He never smoked and he never touched a drop.

[Jimmy]
When she said "Boo" she would ask to be forgiven.

[Wynn]
When he would swim he would always wear the top,

[Jimmy]
She wore no rouge though she had a bad complexion.

[Wynn]
He always prayed ev'ry time he went to bed.

[Jimmy]
She was so kind that she hated vivisection,

[Wynn]
He loved his ma and he swore he' d never wed,

[Jimmy]
She was so chaste that it made her very nervous,

[Wynn]
He loved to go to the vicarage for tea.

[Both]
And when they died,
And when they died and went to Heaven
All the angels moved to Hell.
And that is he and she!

It's sad that bit players in the USO shows are forgotten, and the big names will live forever.
The images of bit players no longer exist, only the photo of the big stars remain from that dark period in our history.
Sorry to get off the Medal of Honor, but we were trying to show that USO performers were also recipents of other medals...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

namgrunt
02-14-04, 11:52 PM
Just the Facts. (Big Correction) :o

Memory has not served me well on my earlier comments in this particular posting. I searched the internet for confirmation of what I recalled about my former employer's award, positive I would find a record of the ceremony published somewhere. I found what I was looking for, but it only proved my mind is quite fallible. My original comment stated he had received a civilian version of the Congressional Medal of Honor. I was in complete error.

He received the "Ellis Island Medal of Honor". He also received the Distinguished Citizens Award from "The Congressional Medal of Honor Society." I somehow blurred the two events together in my memory, and recalled them as one. The fault is entirely mine. I apologize to all persons who read my erroneous recollections and responded to them. My conclusions were incorrect.

I guess getting shot in the head does have its detrimental affects after all. I thank all respondents to my comments for your patience and understanding. It seems I'll also have to research all my other memories, over the internet, before I post them.

'Fessing up for the record,
namgrunt:o

SheWolf
02-15-04, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by namgrunt
That may be the case. I noted that it is Congress who gets together and declares these awards to American citizens. I liked USO shows when I was able to see them at all. I also don't hold it against the many entertainers who have gone into a zone of questionable security to cheer up our kids. But couldn't Congress come up with a different name? In fact, Bob Hope's name would be an ideal title for such an award. The Hope Medal. He is the one who brought recognition for USO show performances.

namgrunt

hey namgrunt,,,

finally something we agree on <<looking up to see if the sky is falling>> ;)

usmc4669
02-15-04, 09:12 AM
SheWolf:

I looked up Congressional Medal of Honor Society's Citizenship Award. Not the same as the one that is presented to the Military.

Gunny

Toby M
02-15-04, 11:12 AM
Hey Namgrunt, blame it on the age thing...it works for me!

namgrunt
02-15-04, 12:34 PM
LOL Thanks Toby. I don't want to make excuses for my oversights. I really did feel weird about seeing the words "Medal of Honor", when shown the award. My boss was so darn proud of it. I guess I'd never thought of those three words without seeing the Military MOH in my mind. Perhaps I should take up drinking? Might lubricate my neural pathways and clear the cobwebs.

namgrunt

usmc4669
02-15-04, 12:56 PM
namgrunt:

I love you man. Would have been more probative if they had used another name for the Citizenship Award. Maybe something like MFAS, Madal For Outstanding Service.

Gunny

namgrunt
02-16-04, 12:56 AM
Gunny

The Ellis Island "Medal of Honor" is awarded by the National Ethnic Coalition of Organizations Foundation (NECO). It does include a large gold medal, which bears a likeness of Lady Liberty from the waist up, according to the Google search results I got.

I was embarrassed as hell when I discovered my screw ups, but I couldn't let the mistakes stand uncorrected. It would have given an unfair representation of the recipient and his character.

namgrunt

Dragon Air
02-27-04, 05:49 PM
The medal awarded to civilians is the Medal of valor. Here is the link to a picture of it. It is a drawing but at the top you can click on the high-res pics of the front and back.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/medalofvalor/presmedalofvalorc.htm

Here is the link for info on how it is awarded and who is elligible.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/medalofvalor/welcome.html

It is very similar in design to the MOH and it should be. Like the MOH it is usually awarded posthumously. Five per year receive the award but an exception was made by the Attourney General and it was awarded to all Firefighters and Police who died in 9-11.