PDA

View Full Version : Old Corp ?

cashughes
02-12-04, 12:36 PM
I am new to the Leatherneck, and have not been in touch with our Corp for many years. I am hearing the term "Old Corp" and do not understand what it means. Can someone enlighten this old dog ?

J.

TracGunny
02-12-04, 12:44 PM
That depends on who you ask; when I was a younger devil pup, the "old salts" (anyone and everyone who had more TIS- time in service- than me) always talked about how tough they had it when they first joined (Old Corps) as compared to how easy I have it now (New Corps).

The "Old Corps" is a mythical time-line that seems to change at the whim of whoever is evoking it. New weapons, new training, new gear, wars, whatever, seem to be a favorite drawing line in definitions.

I believe it was Lewis Burwell who said, "New breed, old breed, I don't care as long as it is the Marine Breed".

thedrifter
02-12-04, 12:51 PM
Welcome Aboard to the Best Marine Site on the net. Also welcome to your home away from home................
We have a great crew of Marines in here from WW II to the present............
Throw your sea bag in a corner, pull up a footlocker, sit and chat awhile.........

"AGAIN WELCOME ABOARD."

Sempers,

Roger
:marine:

usmc4669
02-12-04, 01:22 PM
cashughes:

There's no Old Corps, it's like TracGunny said, The "Old Corps" is a mythical time-line that seems to change at the whim of whoever is evoking it. New weapons, new training, new gear, wars, whatever, seem to be a favorite drawing line in definitions.

CAS3
02-12-04, 01:40 PM
I AM OLD CORPS....LOL....
If you exit service in 91 you are old right?

No comment from you Sparrowhawk!

cashughes
02-12-04, 02:25 PM
Thanks all !

Apparently I was in the Old, Old, Old Corp (1967-72) !
I still get chills when I hear the M.C. Hymn.

J.

devildog21345
02-12-04, 04:12 PM
cashughes you are a boot 1962-1966

bier95
02-12-04, 04:14 PM
Old Corps what the heck is that like it is said " ONCE A MARINE AWAYS A MARINE '' times change ,training changes but it all comes to the same thing in the end Rick

greensideout
02-12-04, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by cashughes
Thanks all !

Apparently I was in the Old, Old, Old Corp (1967-72) !
I still get chills when I hear the M.C. Hymn.

J.

Old, Old, Old Corps?

I don't think so boot!---LOL---60-64 was the "Old Corps".

Welcome on board! :marine:

TracGunny
02-12-04, 07:09 PM
I'm heading for a bunker when the Korea or WWII Vets start weighing in on the "boot" stuff and the "Old Corps"...LOL

usmc4669
02-12-04, 07:17 PM
TracGunny:
I'm heading for a bunker when the Korea or WWII Vets start weighing in on the "boot" stuff and the "Old Corps"...LOL

Holding my fire until all of these boots get finish.

Gunny[B]

TracGunny
02-12-04, 07:24 PM
...incoming!!!

greensideout
02-12-04, 07:26 PM
LMAO---ya got ta love it!

greybeard
02-12-04, 07:56 PM
Fer once, I'm keepin my mouth shut!!

FREEBIRD
02-14-04, 01:55 PM
Old salt????
I'm an old salt, old fart, newbe, FNG, boot, Short timer, maggott, lower than whale sh!t, sh!t bird, and all other nice words they call you in the suck!!! But most of all I' a UNITED STATES MARINE!!!!

FREEBIRD

usmc4669
02-14-04, 02:06 PM
greybeard:

Fer once, I'm keepin my mouth shut!!

When have you ever kept your mouth shut? LOL

LONEEAGLE
02-14-04, 04:04 PM
I think this is a stupid post. Who gives a S****when you were in the corps? We're suppose to be all brother's/sister's, no matter when, what, you did, you're still a Marine...And we shouldn't be judgin' each other on when/where/time, enlisted, or served....

usmc4669
02-14-04, 04:28 PM
BigEagle6:

We have been lisening to this way before I went in in 46, you should have listen to some of the OLD CORPS talk back then.
No post is stupid unless it is the ones that I post LOL
Gunny

TracGunny
02-14-04, 04:36 PM
BigEagle6:

I see nothing but humor in it; a harmless, even playful exercise of Brothers and Sisters passing B.S. back and forth as all friends tend to do from time to time. If it is so stupid, why did you bother to respond? I ignore (well, try to, at least) threads that are “stupid.” Lighten up...

usmc4669
02-14-04, 06:26 PM
BigEagle6:

don't get TracGunny on your case. LOL

TracGunny
02-14-04, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by usmc4669
BigEagle6:

don't get TracGunny on your case. LOL Yeah... I heard he's a real tiger... you know... a big p***y with a lot of stripes...LOL

cmbell
02-15-04, 01:17 AM
I always liked this saying "If your 782 gear does not look like this don't tell me about the Old Corps"

FREEBIRD
02-15-04, 07:24 AM
Young Boot

usmc4669
02-15-04, 09:06 AM
cmbell:

Now you're talking.

Gunny

wayne553
02-15-04, 10:10 AM
bigEagle6
The way I read this post Is the same as been going on from the begining.When I was in (old corps) was guys from the 50s,for them it was the 40s
If you don't like the post (old vs new) just dont click on the post.Open up one of interest to you,some of us think its ok.Half of the BOOTS to Me are Retired

wc

usmc4669
02-15-04, 12:00 PM
Damn BigEagle6 everyone picking on you. In my book that isn't right, "FREEDOM OF SPEECH" LOL

Gunny

TracGunny
02-15-04, 12:04 PM
wayne553:

That does it; I aint comin outa my bunker until the only people chiming in are post-1979... LOL

usmc4669
02-15-04, 12:24 PM
TracGunny:

Darn that leaves me out.

Now that we all have had our say, who not close this and get on
with our lives. Who really give a sh!t how damn old we are. LOL
OLD CORPS GUNNY

LONEEAGLE
02-15-04, 12:44 PM
STILL STUPID.

usmc4669
02-15-04, 12:47 PM
TracGunny BigEagle6 at it again. LOL
My last reply.

Gunny

bier95
02-15-04, 12:56 PM
Post 1979 guess I'm OLD LOL

wayne553
02-15-04, 01:23 PM
closed

usmc4669
02-17-04, 07:29 PM
looks like old Corps to me.

wayne553
02-17-04, 08:09 PM
Now thats what I call old Corps.Thats what 47? ha ha

wc

greensideout
02-17-04, 08:18 PM
There you go---making me feel like a boot!--- LOL---but I may have used some of the same field gear.

tophor
02-18-04, 01:35 AM
I don't think there is "an old Corps or a new Corps" some Marines are just more "seasoned" than others. OORAH!!! SEMPER FI!!!

usmc4669
02-18-04, 11:16 AM
I think its "OOHRAH" Not really sure as I'm from the OLD CORPS. LOL

MillRatUSMC
02-18-04, 01:09 PM
http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/water15b.jpg
You might be "Old Corps" if you wore this uniform.
There's "Old Corps" and "New Corps", there also the "Old Breed" meaning the
http://www.gnt.net/~jrube/images/patch.gif
1st. Marine Divison

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/ob6.jpg
One of the "Old Breed"
If there was the "Old Breed" might all the members of the 1st. Marine Divison from than till now be the "New Breed"?
Or are they still the "Old Breed"...
Inquiring minds want to know...
A proud member of 1st Marines of the 1st. Marine Divison in Vietnam...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

PS A boot from 1957
All place here in jest.

MillRatUSMC
02-18-04, 01:17 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=62467
These Marines appear to be from the "Banana Wars" or the Philippines in the early 1900's.
They're armed with the Springfield 03 and they are wearing yellow leggings.
The cover appears to be what was adopted after serving with the Army in WWI or did the Marine Corps have this cover pior to WWI?

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
02-19-04, 12:29 AM
Tracgunny, you got part it right Lewis Burwell really was Col Lewis Burwell Puller USMC known to us as "Chesty".
When he said these famous lines;
"New breed, old breed, I don't care as long as it is the Marine Breed".
Lt. General Lewis Burwell Puller USMC was a distant cousin of "Old Blood and Guts" General George Patton US Army.
As a Marine Officer, General Lewis Burwell Puller always called the enlisted "Old Man", even if it was a young Pvt or Pfc...

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

yellowwing
02-19-04, 02:12 AM
"As a Marine Officer, General Lewis Burwell Puller always called the enlisted "Old Man", even if it was a young Pvt or Pfc" - how could you not be loyal to an tough S.OB. like that?

Sergeant Major Robert E. Cleary came to see us when I was driving for the El Toro Chief of Staff. In the 'Head Shed' he greeted a Major, "How ya doin Marine!" Not in the formal Sir or even Major!

No one said sh*t! The Base SgtMaj Fitzhugh almost stifled a grin and hussled him off to the SNCO club.

usmc4669
02-19-04, 08:12 AM
What Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller
Really Said at the Chosin Reservoir
The 1st Marine Division was surrounded at the Chosin Reservoir because the U. S. Army corps on its left flank collapsed and retreated. The 1st Marines, one the division's infantry regiments, was holding Koto Ri to keep the road open back to the coast, and was itself surrounded by several Chinese divisions. A reporter with the regiment posed a question to its commanding officer, then - Colonel Lewis B. Puller; "Colonel, you've got Chinese to your front, to your rear, to your left and to your right. What are you going to do now?" He reported that Puller's reply was; "The bastards aren't going to get away this time!"

In fact, that reply was made up by the reporter, a friend of Marines, to protect the colonel. The actual exchange was as follows:

Reporter; "Colonel, you've got Chinese to your front, to your rear, to your left and to your right. What are you going to do now?"

Col. Puller; "Damn sight better than the U. S. Army. At least I know they'll be there in the morning!"

TracGunny
02-19-04, 11:41 AM
MillRatUSMC:
Tracgunny, you got part it right Lewis Burwell really was Col Lewis Burwell Puller USMC known to us as "Chesty". Yep, knew that... Just wanted to see who was paying attention. There are several members of the Jacksonville Semper Fidelis Society who served under "Chesty" Puller, WW II and/or Korea, and I picked up while listening to their sea-stories that they always refer to Gen. Puller as Lewis Burwell, not Chesty, or Puller. I am still working up the guts to ask them why this is... I figure it is a fraternity thing... and I may have to dive for my bunker if any of them read these posts…LOL