PDA

View Full Version : Who was President when we went to War?

usmc4669
02-12-04, 11:52 AM
What party was in power when we went to war. Who was in Power when it ended?

World War One - Woodrow Wilson, Democrat. Beginning and when War ended.
World War Two - Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Democrat, (Harry S. Truman, Democrat when War ended)
Korean War - Harry S. Truman, Democrat. (We still have troops in Korea).
Vietnam War - Harry S. Truman, Democrat, Dwight David Eisenhower, Republican, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Democrat, Lyndon Baines Johnson, Democrat, (Richard Millhouse Nixon, Republican when War ended).
Desert Storm - George H. W. Bush, Republican. beginning and when War ended.
William (Bill "slick Willie") Jefferson Clinton got us into Bosnia, we still have troops there.
War against Terrorists - Geogre W. Bush - Beginning - ?
Iraq War - George W. Bush, Republican. Beginning - ?

NeXodus
02-12-04, 11:59 AM
I forget who was in war for the kosovo incident, but we still have presense out there as well. good ole NATO forces I was there lst winter..

fade2black
02-12-04, 12:17 PM
March 24, 1999 NATO launched air strikes into Kosovo, so that would have been Slick Willie.

usmc4669
02-12-04, 12:26 PM
fade2black:

You are so right, Should we still be there?

namgrunt
02-12-04, 12:56 PM
I recall we were once "repelled" by a dock full of angry policeman back in July 1994. I refer to the Haiti campaign. President Clinton pulled back ships with Marines aboard, after the ships were met at the docks by a mob, including local police. It was the most embarrassing moment I recall for the Corps.
It wasn't a war, but it was a landing. It was resolved later, and American troops did get ashore, but it made us look "afraid" of the regime. I believe the US still maintains a military force on Haiti, but I might be wrong. It dropped off the radar screen long ago.

Semper Fi!

USMC-FO
02-12-04, 01:52 PM

What is your point ?

fade2black
02-12-04, 02:14 PM
The unit I was with (2/4, The Magnificant Bastards) was part of the great "Hatian Migration" in '94. We were mostly in Gitmo and on the hosptial ship Comfort though. I had been with the unit all of about a month and we were on air alert that month. Welcome to the Fleet Marine, pack your $hit! ha ha

USMC-FO
02-12-04, 02:53 PM
NamGrunt:

The Corps had nothing to be embarrassed about re the actions at Port O Prince Haiti in 94. We all follow orders from the CIC--el Presidident--who as you know was the esteemed Mr. Clinton. He was the one who got all sweaty and nervous when the mob on the dock became unpleasant. He was the one wimpering in the corner sucking his thumb and holding his dick.

We all know had we landed then some serious butt would have been kicked.

namgrunt
02-12-04, 03:31 PM
I hear you, USMC-FO. That was the embarrassment. Our CinC was not up to par. His Secretary of Defense, Les Aspen, was eventually cashiered for the screwup which resulted in the Mogadishu "Blackhawk Down" incident. The Secretary was just following his boss's orders, but the media couldn't soil BC's halo, so Aspen fell on his sword instead.

Would have been nice to have tossed at least one gas grenade at the dancing mob on the dock. But then some poor butterbar Lt. would have been court-martialed.

Semper Fi!

usmc4669
02-13-04, 04:02 PM
Anyone remember the Bay of Pigs?

greybeard
02-13-04, 04:35 PM
Yes