PDA

View Full Version : Marine D.I.'s physically and mentally abusive

Mongoose
05-19-19, 04:13 PM
The Marine Corps is still grappling with issues of abuse among its drill instructors, The Washington Post reported Wednesday. <br />
Documents detailing investigations into various incidents obtained by...

irpat54
05-19-19, 05:30 PM
the only thing I can say is... suck it up cupcake... if you want to be the best, you can't be a twinkie...

advanced
05-20-19, 07:48 AM
Abuse, that sounds horrible. I sure am glad that in my PI platoon our 5 DI's were nothing but kind to us, of course that was back in 67 way before any of these events.

irpat54
05-20-19, 07:53 AM
Abuse, that sounds horrible. I sure am glad that in my PI platoon our 5 DI's were nothing but kind to us, of course that was back in 67 way before any of these events.

spot on the mark, although I'm a '73 Marine, my DI's were nothing but a total comfort to us, always tucking us in at night and never rousting us out of the rack in the morning, never would they think of "wacking" us upside the head with our rifles when we weren't holding the rifle correctly...

advanced
05-20-19, 08:38 AM
Whenever we had Sgt Mike, as we called him, on duty he would always sing the Roy Rogers song "Happy Trails" to us to lull us all off to sleep. Another of our DI's always called us "Gentlemen" which I thought was very considerate.

irpat54
05-20-19, 09:41 AM
hahaha... yup for sure and for certain

USMC 2571
05-20-19, 09:58 AM
Do you remember the many many cookouts at the drill instructor's homes? Of course, they took turns but every weekend we would stay at that particular home and have a cookout, and campfire meetings, and some beer. They would never allow us to become inebriated, but yes, we could and did have a few beers.

The picnics were huge events, under a series of tents on the parade deck at First Battalion, PI.

advanced
05-20-19, 10:55 AM
Being that I was in the 3rd herd, on the weekends those of us that became good friends with some of our DI's were given weekend passes to visit the 4th Battalion. Those young ladies really loved us long time and we were able to eat until we were stuffed. I've always had very fond memories of PI, some of the best times of my life.

USMC 2571
05-20-19, 11:11 AM
Same here, Russ---the only time our drill instructors got in trouble was when they coddled us too much and had to be told to make training a big harder, and cut out some of the extra curricular activities.

USMC 2571
05-20-19, 11:54 AM
Correction. There was another time when our drill instructors got into trouble, but not in a big way. The regimental commander came into our barracks unannounced and saw that we ran out of coffee and doughnuts and bagels, and chewed our drill instructors out, but no disciplinary action was taken against them.

irpat54
05-20-19, 11:56 AM
yup, I sure do miss the campouts and roasting hot dogs and marshmallows over an open fire, not to mention the stories our DI's told at that time...

Zulu 36
05-20-19, 01:10 PM
All I can say is I went in KNOWING I was going to be abused physically and verbally. Moreover, my parents also knew it, especially my father. My dad told me, "They're not supposed to eat you or kill you. But everything else is fair game."

Then there was the letter I wrote home after my first thumping. I thought I was bragging, but my dad thought I was whining. He wrote a letter to my DIs giving them permission to do as they saw fit to me. And, buddy, they did.

I would have been disappointed if I wasn't treated like dirt and knocked around. I wouldn't have felt like I was a real Marine.

oldtop
05-20-19, 01:51 PM
"I would have been disappointed if I wasn't treated like dirt and knocked around. I wouldn't have felt like I was a real Marine."

THIS!!!!!

SGT7477
05-20-19, 05:15 PM
I dated the platoon commanders wife up until graduation, SFMF.

Mongoose
05-21-19, 04:47 PM
At MCRDSD, our D.I.'s got together and bought us all sun glasses and sun tan lotion. On the weekends they took us to the beach. We loved it. Had a big bonfire at night, roasted wieners and marshmallows and drank beer. We all told stories about growing up and sang songs. Never forget those good old days.

silverdollar
05-22-19, 06:14 AM
Billy these posts are not supposed to be true.

irpat54
05-22-19, 07:15 AM
could you imagine if this were posted in the poolee section? as gullible as some of the kids are today, what a culture shock they would get...lol

USMC 2571
05-22-19, 07:24 AM
Our training schedule was Saturdays and Sundays. The rest of the week we had cookouts, field trips to various points of interest in and near Parris Island, including Washington DC once. Those were the days. We were issued a small refrigerator, and although we complained to our drill instructors that the refrigerators did not hold as much beer as we had thought, they ignored our complaints, but promised to petition the commanding general for relief.

USMC 2571
05-22-19, 07:26 AM
Speaking of the commanding general, he came through our barracks once, early on, and was disgusted by what he found. I never saw drill instructors chewed out as much as they were that day. He found us doing bends and thrusts and push ups and told our worthy instructors that this was not to be endured any longer. These recruits will get the wrong idea about our Corps, with so much physical exercise, unnecessarily. Look at them, they're all in shape! he bellowed, and stalked out of the barracks, angry as a hornet. It turned out that his philosophy was that leisure, in the proper amounts, would make a Marine just as surely as a lot of physical and mental exertion would. We needed time, he thought, to think about becoming Marines.

oldtop
05-22-19, 09:06 AM
all of that "time for thought" would be just the ticket for all of those nerds with studs in their faces and facial tattoos that want to be Marines without boot camp..... where would they learn all the secrets to "gourmet cooking in the wilderness", and "amphibious soccer".... they'd also miss out on their chance on "the Dating Game" or "Naked in the Wilderness" where they get to go naked into the bush for a week with two married women in need of some good loving....

advanced
05-22-19, 10:05 AM
And that's another reason that I call myself a Bush Marine.

irpat54
05-22-19, 10:23 AM
ROFLMBO... Bush Marine... now the secrets out...

oldtop
05-22-19, 01:14 PM
'ol Russ means that in more ways than one.....LOL.....

advanced
05-22-19, 02:10 PM
Billy is a Bush Marine as well, I just have a much higher culling point, if you know what I mean.

Marine1955
05-22-19, 04:36 PM
I glad I got my Harley Boots on Man.....

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33243&stc=1

oldtop
05-23-19, 08:45 AM
every time I see a preview of "Full Metal Jacket", I think of my favorite character "Animal Mother", who of course, was modeled after our real life Billy Mongoose...…...