PDA

View Full Version : Who Killed Jesus?

Sparrowhawk
02-10-04, 05:17 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Newsweek/Photos/mag/040216_Issue/nw_152_magcover_040207.jpg

For some reason this movie seems interesting, maybe I am getting older and feel a bit more sensitive to what I have accomplished in life and what life is really all about.

I've always felt that it was through divine intervention in the jungles of Vietnam that I survived the fierce firefights we often began engaged in.

One time, I know someone besides a Marine pulled me back from where a stray of bullets a split second later splattered the tree in front of where I would have been standing. No one was there the closest Marine was crawling for cover 15-20 meters away.

Since that time and there were others I've always felt that not only is there a God but one that intervenes in the affairs of men.

Now, this movie is coming out and I feel like going to see it. It may not be a make me feel good movie, but perhaps it will visually help the faith I do now have in Christianity.

Either way, click on the poll and or post your views.

Semper Fi

Cook

<hr>

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Newsweek/Photos/mag/040216_Issue/040207_Jesus_wide.hlarge.jpg

Mel Gibson's powerful but troubling new movie, 'The Passion of the Christ,' is reviving one of the most explosive questions ever. What history tells us about Jesus' last hours, the world in which he lived, anti-Semitism, Scripture and the nature of faith itself.

Feb. 16 issue - It is night, in a quiet, nearly deserted garden in Jerusalem. A figure is praying; his friends sleep a short distance away. We are in the last hours of the life of Jesus of Nazareth, in the spring of roughly the year 30, at the time of the Jewish feast of Passover. The country—first-century Judea, the early 21st's Israel—is part of the Roman Empire. The prefect, Pontius Pilate, is Caesar's ranking representative in the province, a place riven with fierce religious disputes. Jesus comes from Galilee, a kind of backwater; as a Jewish healer and teacher, he has attracted great notice in the years, months and days leading up to this hour.

His popularity seemed to be surging among at least some of the thousands of pilgrims gathered in the city for Passover. Crowds cheered him, proclaiming him the Messiah, which to first-century Jewish ears meant he was the "king of the Jews" who heralded the coming of the Kingdom of God, a time in which the yoke of Roman rule would be thrown off, ushering in an age of light for Israel. Hungry for liberation and deliverance, some of those in the teeming city were apparently flocking to Jesus, threatening to upset the delicate balance of power in Jerusalem.

The priests responsible for the Temple had an understanding with the Romans: the Jewish establishment would do what it could to keep the peace, or else Pilate would strike. And so the high priest, Caiaphas, dispatches a party to arrest Jesus. Guided by Judas, they find him in Gethsemane. In the language of the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, there is this exchange: "Whom do you seek?" Jesus asks. "Jesus of Nazareth." The answer comes quickly. "I am he."

Thus begins the final chapter of the most influential story in Western history...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4212741/

namgrunt
02-10-04, 05:52 PM
The answer to the question "Who Killed Jesus?" is ....we did.
If a respondant considers himself or herself to be a Christian, then it is clear our spiritual peccadillos are what killed Jesus. He stepped in and took the "bullet" meant for us.
I can blame no other person for what I have done. I cannot undo anything I should not have done. The only way to achieve a balance in the eyes of the Almighty is for me to pay for my trangressions.
Jesus intercepted the punishment meant for me, and took it entirely upon himself. He did this for all of us, and all at one time.
I/we killed him, in my estimation.

Semper Fi!
namgrunt

Sophora
02-10-04, 06:32 PM
It's ironic that Mel Gibson's "The Passion" is coming out in the theathers at the same time as "Jesus Christ Superstar" is arriving here on stage in Tucson. I've been scrimping and saving to buy a ticket to see the stage play. It came out in 72. a time when I was questioning my Catholic beliefs. In the song Gethesemane, Jesus says " God thy will is hard, but you hold every card. I will drink your cup of poision, nail me to your cross and break me, bleed me, take me. Now before I change my mind."

The bible says God sent his son to free us of our sins. God killed Jesus.

namgrunt
02-10-04, 06:49 PM
Janine
You are correct. And I would be correct to say the Romans killed Jesus. Does God's killing of Jesus make God suicidal? Does it mean the Romans are/were "God"? Normal logic falters before the Eternal. I approached the question from the point of what reason caused Jesus to become human? It was, as you said to free us from our sins. How did he accomplish that? He died. If we had not sinned, would he have needed to come and die? Does God's act of killing Jesus absolve us of any responsibility? Do we walk away shame free?

This question places each of us on a slippery slope. Each person will use their own interpretation of the Bible to answer the question. Those who don't believe in any divine Beings will use it to mock those who do. Those who use a different book of creation will say the Bible is an anthology, not a fact. We can argue this 'til the cows land on Mars and plant the flag.

I find it more outstanding for Jesus to have taken my place on the center of the target of God's wrath. That is just my view.

namgrunt

Sophora
02-10-04, 07:19 PM
Namgrunt, the thing I found hardest to understand being raised Catholic is if the bible said Jesus died to free us of sin, why did our babies need to be baptised to free them of sin to go to heaven. To be on the safe side I had both my babes baptised, but what sins could a newborn have if Jesus died for us? Yes according to the scriptures Pontious (sp) Pilate's, Romans Representive condemned Jesus to death, but it was at the desire of the high priest of Jeruselum. A political move to remove an embarrasement of the relationship of Isreal to Rome. Not a belief of the people.

A big controversy of Mel Gibson's movie by the Jewish community is they feel it will raise up an anti-semantic revolt, the Jews killed Jesus. The sad thing that is forgotten is that Jesus was a Jew.

greensideout
02-10-04, 09:01 PM
The Jews could not have "killed" Jesus, nor could anyone else.

He died an earthly death for our sins only because that was God's plan for our salvation.

The price of sin is a spritual death that must be paid.

Jesus was here to cover our sin with his blood. He was the Lamb.

We could not save ourself from sin because it is the nature of fallen mankind. Because of our sin, we need Jesus Christ.

He laid down his earthly life and then arose to claim victory over the death that sin brings so that we could live.

Thank you Jesus for my salvation!

Yes Sparrow Hawk, I too have heard the wind of angel's wings around me. Why was I saved? I don't know but I give the glory to God!

namgrunt
02-10-04, 09:55 PM
Janine
You nailed it, particularly in the last sentence. Jesus was a Jew! To put it mildly, the rabbi, Jesus, a Jew, saved me! No question in my mind. If the public media wants to find roaches in the cupboard, it will search from house to house until it achieves its goal. Then it will announce its discovery and make generalized statements which stir old fears from all sides. Controversy is created, and it makes for good press.

Mel Gibson already edited out one scene, to calm fears that anti-semitic elements would seek revenge. Those who would do that are not true followers of Jesus. They are wolves in sheeps skins seeking confusion to take down prey. I am confident that Mel's monumental efforts will portray things as accurately as he could understand them. To quote one previewer, "It is as it was!" (Pope John Paul II)

I know I should have died in combat. Why I made it, and not the next man, was not my call. I should have been on that black marble wall in Washington DC, on panel 49E. I am here instead. I won't quarrel with God about what he meant by choosing the method Jesus followed. Who am I that I should understand the mind of God Almighty?

I look forward with anticipation for the unfolding of Gibson's "The Passion of The Christ". I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

namgrunt

usmc4669
02-11-04, 09:44 AM
Janine, as a Catholic you should know that all people are born with the original sin of Adam and Eve and that is why babies are baptized. Mary, mother of Jesus was the only one that was born without original sin; that is why she is called the Immaculate Conception. I was raised as a Protestant and became a Catholic only five years ago at the age of 70. Who killed Jesus? I won't comment on that. As for the movie, I plan on seeing it as horror as it may seem, I do believe that Jesus did go through pain the same that we go through and could have saved his own life; them his purpose would not have been fulfilled.

SheWolf
02-11-04, 10:31 AM
when I was in college I got myself in hot water with one of the professors,, she happened to be Jewish,,, it was an English composition class and I don't remember how we got on the subject but someone in the class said something about how the Romans killed Jesus, and I replied back (Catholic as I was raised), the Romans didn't kill Jesus, the Jews did,,,

silence in the classroom,,, the professor caught me after class and said that she 'knew" I was under stress and that she wouldn't hold my comment against me,,,, but that some of the "kids" in the class (Mideastern heritage) showed visible signs of shock at my comment...

now having said that, do I hold the Jews responsible,, no....
it was preordained that Jesus would die... but Pilate did give the Jewish hierarchy the choice,, Jesus or one of the robbers...

LONEEAGLE
02-11-04, 05:52 PM
I'm Catholic. Since I was in 1stgrade. Who Killed Jesus? We as part of humanity of the past, did. The Jews and their goof ball leaders who made rules for other's but didn't follow them there selves, decided that they kill him. But, the real truth is, that his/our Father, God, gave his only Son to be man/and God, and had to suffer death in order to re-open the Gates of Heaven. It wasn't Jews who decided this. It was all pre-planned, just like my life, your life. God has a purpose for everything in creating us. We have to find out what it is. Yes, Mel Gibson...Why is everyone on him for making a movie about Jesus? Because as it was back in the time of Jesus, you got those who want all the credit, and don't want Gibson to tell the "truth" as close as he can.
Everybody loved Mel Gibson in so many movies, but then now hate him, or dislike his latest works, and probably have also black listed him in the land of make believe, Hollywood. Remind you of anything in the bible? Thanks for posting this thread. So great to know Marines do care about their eternal life. Yip, everyone will have one.....

Tom D
02-11-04, 06:17 PM
As mentioned above, we all have sinned so mankind shoulders the responsibility. In His great love, Jesus died to pay the penalty that we most absolutely deserve. He is the way, the truth, and the life! Praise be to God!

GreenSB
02-26-04, 03:44 PM
He came back didn't He?

Lock-n-Load
02-26-04, 06:36 PM
:marine: The Jews made sure Jesus would be cruxified and the pagan Romans were their instrument of Jesus' death...if faint hearts now fear the wrath of God...so be it.:marine:

MAJMike
02-26-04, 07:50 PM
Maybe we should add a new Book to the New testament?

The Gospel According to Mel!

Osotogary
02-26-04, 08:44 PM
How can you "wash down" a crucificion? Hollywood has been doing it for years. This film will not be easy for me to see but I have been trained well to observe acts of brutality and sadism. You see, I watch television...everyday. Why would members of the Movie industry bad mouth this movie? I have a funny feeling that "The Passion of Christ" has less violence than Bad Boyz II.
Gary(osotogary)

usmc4669
02-26-04, 09:51 PM
Maybe we should add a new Book to the New testament?
The Gospel According to Mel!

You seem to have all the answers, so why don't you write another book for the New Testament.

tacoman
02-26-04, 10:41 PM
i saw passion of christ and it is a very brutal movie

hack4398
02-27-04, 11:16 AM
I urge ALL believers to go and see this movie. I saw it on Ash Wednesday, right after church, and it was a very powerful and moving EXPERIENCE. It really is more than a movie. I left the theater feeling very humble and quite ashamed of myself. The pain and suffering that He went through for us was BRUTAL!!
My wife went with me and thinks that the violence got on the way of the message, that is for each individual to decide. We both argree that it is remarkably filmed and is extremely well done in keeping with the scripture.
If you believe or are on the fence, this movie will make you think, you make not like it as much as I did, but there is no doubt that you will leave the theater thinking and talking about it.