PDA

View Full Version : Why Did You Join The Corps?

USMC 2571
09-01-18, 11:04 AM
I began a thread like this long ago, but obviously it is not current, and many of those participants are long gone from this site. So I begin again.

Age 16, dropped out of high school. Working in a big hospital, operating a dishwasher and washing pots and pans by hand. Must be something better than this. The military. Went to all recruiters. Wanted to go in for 4 years, not 3 or 2. Decided that since I am going in for four, it might as well be the best branch, the most elite, the most respected.....The Marine Corps stood out. The huge gold letters across the recruiter's window---U.S. Marine Corps. I decided to do my 4 years in the USMC....as I mentioned on another thread, we had absolutely no choice, no say, nothing, as to what MOS or job we would have. We joined to become Marines. That was the sole reason for joining up back then.

When I turned 17, I was at Parris Island 2 weeks later.

That's how I came to join the Corps.
------------------------------------------------------------

chulaivet1966
09-01-18, 01:20 PM
I began a thread like this long ago, but obviously it is not current, and many of those participants are long gone from this site. So I begin again.

Yeah....I tried to cheat, find that old thread and copy/paste my response.
I failed. (I still might give it a try :))

To answer your direct question in a phrase:
I was 17 and wanted to be the tip of the spear.

Carry on.....

gkmoz
09-01-18, 04:42 PM
The weekend before I went to P.I. I spent in the local workhouse for "exhibition of speed" twice in one week! :) yes I was that dumb :) pops booted me out of the house took the car away and I really didn't like the workhouse at all! went to the nearest recruiting office and joined the Marines for only two years! good deal I thought.....boom yellow footprints and those wonderful Marine counselors with the brown hats took me and about 80 others and showed us the ropes lol

Tennessee Top
09-01-18, 06:23 PM
Joined right out of highschool in 1972. Never had any interest in the other services. Hollywood Marine, stayed for 22.6 years.

Kegler300
09-01-18, 06:27 PM
I joined right out of high school because I wanted to get away from my parents and be my own boss …
:D

SGT7477
09-01-18, 09:42 PM
Because of our Marine history, went in June 74 a month out of high school, SFMF.

chulaivet1966
09-01-18, 11:38 PM
and be my own boss …
:D

Chuckle....

Hey Kegs....how did that work out for you. :)

Carry on...

Jayne
09-02-18, 01:00 AM
Hey Guys I am writing on behalf of my grandfather Richard JAYNE. He served in the United States Marine Corps from 1957 to 1960. He worked as a flight mechanic at Cherry Point NC during that time. We are trying to find any articles pictures or persons that may have served during or around the same time. More specifically we are trying to locate anyone or pictures articles etc of the environment working as a aircraft mechanic during those days. Any help you could provide us would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

USMC 2571
09-02-18, 10:04 AM
Hi Jayne---go up to the very first secton of this Forum----Looking for a Leatherneck/Leatherneck Locator and post in there, and maybe someone will be able to assist you. Also, see a PM I just sent you suggesting another off-forum way to go about this. Good luck.

oldtop
09-04-18, 09:30 AM
joined on February 14, 1966, 6 months after HS graduation, Boot Camp @ "Hollywood", ITR, Radio School, and on to the "Southeast Asia War Games University" for 17 months... tried "civilian life" (twice!), both times as a cop (once in Louisiana, once in Texas), always ended up "going home" to the Corps.... retired in 2003 with a total of 34 years creditable service (active and reserve)..... as to why I joined.... didn't want to wait to get drafted to "kill people and break things" for the government....

Melvin Jeffries
09-04-18, 09:38 AM
Outstanding oldtop!! What a resume, you exemplify the meaning of Marine. Semper Fi Marine.

radio relay
09-04-18, 10:27 PM
I grew up as an Army brat. My Dad had served in WWll, Korea, and Vietnam. He was an Airborne Ranger with the 82nd Airborne in WWl and Korea, and Division SgtMaj with the 1st ID in Nam. So it was always a given that I would be in the military too. I also became friends with a woman whose son was in Vietnam, at Khe San. She would read me his letters, and they were pretty grim. So, I started feeling guilty about not doing my part, and joined the Marine Corps, because I wanted to go to Vietnam, and kick some butt like my Dad, and my friend's son.

Things didn't exactly work out that way though. I did end up going to Vietnam, but not as Grunt, and the Marine Corps' role in Vietnam was winding down by the time I arrived, too. So, didn't kick much ass ...

Deduke
09-05-18, 09:33 AM
I figured if John Wayne can do it, I can do it. As it turns out, by God, I CAN do it.

FistFu68
09-05-18, 01:02 PM
I joined too be the first guy on my block with a confirmed Commie Kill

Marine1955
09-06-18, 07:42 PM
Quit school and joined and I too wanted to be the best and I wanted to be on my own and haven't look back except that I should have stayed in and got my 20 ..

advanced
09-07-18, 08:34 AM
I left home at 17 with a suitcase (mean azzed step father) and moved to south Texas. I kept myself in school, graduated a year later in 66, then did a semester in college. It was very difficult with all the juggling and I decided to go fight my war before it was over and take a break from the grind.

Landed in Parris Island Jan 67, landed in Vietnam a year later and that experience changed my life. I became a Marine by February 68 during TET. Helped make some MC history along with my brothers.