PDA

View Full Version : Weights/working out at MCT

Thomas716
08-08-18, 03:07 PM
I am currently on boot leave and was wondering if there will be weights or a weight room at mct. Ive had drill instructors tell me there is a weight room there and other marines that just recently graduated mct tell me that there is not. I’m a workout freak and even worked out every day in boot camp . I lucked out because my squadbay had db’s, dip bar and a few barbells.

Please respond soon because I leave to go there in a few days. Thanks in advance.

Mongoose
08-08-18, 04:21 PM
I don't know about today's Corps.....but in my time, at the end of the day in Boot-Camp....the last thing in the world you would want to do is lift weights.

irpat54
08-08-18, 05:30 PM
even if there is, I'm not sure you will have a lot of free time to work out, you'll be really busy getting familiar with combat tactics I would think... day and night.

advanced
08-09-18, 04:35 AM
even if there is, I'm not sure you will have a lot of free time to work out, you'll be really busy getting familiar with combat tactics I would think... day and night.
Pat, are they still teaching combat tactics? And a weight room in boot camp? What happened to the "Name of the game is together?"

Mongoose
08-09-18, 05:07 AM
Boot-Camp leave.....what in hell is that?? Russ, I think the weight room in Boot-Camp, is right next to the snack bar. Not sure though....it could be in the T.V. room....just saying

irpat54
08-09-18, 07:34 AM
Pat, are they still teaching combat tactics? And a weight room in boot camp? What happened to the "Name of the game is together?"

ya, I don't remember seeing anything like that, when I was in boot, I was to busy being yelled at, my rifle being slammed beside my head for not holding it right, and visiting "happy valley" as a platoon for not marching together enough...lol

oldtop
08-09-18, 08:52 AM
the only weights we saw in boot camp was when we had to hold our M14's on the back of our hands, arms outstretched and horizontal to the deck until our DI got tired... then it was "up and on shoulders" with our weapons... and with 16 to 18 hour training days, NOBODY had the time or energy to "work out" at the end of the day.... next thing we'll hear that boots will want to know if they can use their I-phones in training...

Tennessee Top
08-09-18, 03:33 PM
Seriously? Marine Combat Training (MCT) is designed to teach you basic combat techniques. Once you're picked up by a training company, you'll turn your cellphone in and head out to the field. You'll be out there for the next 29 days patrolling, humping weapons, and firing on the ranges. When you get back, your phone batteries will be dead. Watch some videos on youtube, you won't see any weights or a weight room - that's not why you're there. Believe the boots who graduated recently and not your DI's.

For us old salts. Bootcamp today is not like it was back in the day. Todays Corps is an all volunteer force. Hazing has been outlawed. DI's still jump around and yell a lot during phase 1 but that's as far as any intimidation goes. By phases 2 and 3, the DI's are pretty much changing to a mentoring role at that point. Phase 4 is totally mentoring only. It's common today to hear boot Marines claim bootcamp was fun (believe it or not). Physical training is not that tough (compared to what we remember) - I have copies of the current training matrix. By 3rd phase, some recruits volunteer for Incentive Training, or mess up on purpose to get ID'd - to prepare for the upcoming crucible.

Incentive Training (IT):

Zulu 36
08-09-18, 03:59 PM
I personally had no spare time. Besides the usual training, I was also the platoon scribe and in-charge of the "Dumb Squad" meaning I had to teach the dummies their knowledge, after taps in the head.