PDA

View Full Version : Division honors its veterans, marks 63 years of 'hard-Corps' history

thedrifter
02-10-04, 06:26 AM
Division honors its veterans, marks 63 years of 'hard-Corps' history
Submitted by: MCB Camp Pendleton
Story Identification Number: 200429192311
Story by Lance Cpl. Macario P. Mora Jr.

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP PENDLETON, Calif.(February 5, 2004) -- Fresh faces clad in green paraded past their grizzled grandfathers while the band trumpeted their shared legacy Jan. 29 as part of the 1st Marine Division's 63rd anniversary celebration.

Nearly 100 division veterans joined Marines from Camp Pendleton for the annual parade honoring the Marine Corps' oldest, largest and most-decorated division.

The parade was held for all who have ever shed their blood, sweat and tears while serving under the blue diamond - the lion's share of whom have passed on or are in their Golden Years.

Regardless of their era, their contribution to the country is vital, said Maj. Gen. James N. Mattis, division commanding general.

"The uniforms and weapons have changed slightly, but the purpose and mission remain the same," he said.

Mattis said it's because of Marines from the past that Marines today will be able to pass on this "great experiment" called the United States of America to future generations.

The parade kicked off like many before it. From the very first parade to this one, the values and high standards instilled in Marines remain roughly the same, according to Thomas M. Vetter, president of the 1st Marine Division Association.

The national anthem rang out and the veterans sang along.

"The anthem's a bit more meaningful when you've sacrificed so much and seen others die just so your family can hear the sweet sound of that song's music," said Tom Rosa, a retired master gunnery sergeant residing in Vista.

The division's band kept veterans and Marines entertained as hundreds of sergeants-and-below filled the ranks, demonstrating the division's ability to work with small-unit leaders.

Various battle streamers, harking back to the division's birth Feb. 1, 1941, on the battleship Texas, were then attached to the division's colors by Marines from different units throughout the division.

Veterans generally were happy to witness the parade; many said they were downright thrilled.

Their modern-day successors also relished the experience.

"It's a great feeling to be in this ceremony, especially being the commander of troops," said Sgt. Christopher A. Colson, a member of the 1st Tank Battalion at Marine Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms.
"I'm honored to be the son of a Marine who served in World War II and Vietnam."

"It's motivating to see the support and camaraderie between Marines, old and new," said Cpl. Jodie M. Cayton, an intelligence analyst with the division.

"It's an honor to see the parade and to carry on the legacy," Cayton said.

After the parade, Marines of today and yesteryear swapped sea stories and reminisced. At least one old-timer saw himself in the division's youth.

"Seeing all of these Marines brings back memories of myself when I was 17," said Richard Martinez, a retired staff sergeant living in Lancaster. "No matter what I feel like, I'm at home when I'm here."

In light of Operation Iraqi Freedom and the impending deployment to Iraq, veterans say they've had their eye on their division protegee not just during the parade - but each and every day.

"We were watching you every day on the news," said Vetter.

"We only took naps, but when we were awake, the television was on the news. We were with you all in spirit," he said.

The way battles are fought has changed down through the years, Vetter said. But the way they're won hasn't changed.

"When I look at all of you and remember how we were, it's no wonder we're so successful," Vetter said.

"We were young once," he reminded.

E-mail Lance Cpl. Mora at MoraMP@pendleton.usmc.mil

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200429192920/$file/flagwalklow.jpg

First Marine Division leathernecks march across the 11 Area parade Field to honor their storied combat unit. Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. Matt Hevezi

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/7E1E408EA9A3406385256E3600021FA8?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: