PDA

View Full Version : Competing in BJJ/MMA while in the Marine Corps

acUSMC11
06-19-18, 10:50 AM
Anyone have any experience competing in BJJ/MMA while in the Marine Corps? What did you have to do to get command approval?

Background: I am a Sgt with 6 years TIS as well as an MAI (Martial Arts Instructor). I trained and competed in BJJ and MMA prior to joining the service and recently began training again. I am hoping to compete again in both with a fight lined up for next month and several grappling tournaments in the near future. I have tried to do the right thing and keep my command informed, but despite not finding any kind of policy or oreder to say I cannot compete, I am getting all kinds of pushback and being forced to jump through all kinds of hoops, without the command even knowing what it wants from me. Does anybody know of any policies regarding this or any procedure you or someone you know has gone through to get cleared for competition? Thanks in advance

Tennessee Top
06-26-18, 02:15 PM
Can't answer your question but this reminds me a lot of when I was on active duty and pursuing my BS degree (which I eventually attained) off duty. Some commands were supportive, some neutral, and...

acUSMC11
06-26-18, 02:19 PM
Thank you MSgt. I have succeeded in getting command approval to compete in BJJ/Grappling tournaments and was able to go compete this past weekend (won my division!). I have also worked with my command to push up the potential of me competing in MMA to our higher headquarters and we are waiting from an answer. It could potentially get pushed up even higher, only time will tell. For now, I have done all I can do and my Command has helped me out as best they can.

Mongoose
06-26-18, 04:38 PM
Good Luck, Marine.