PDA

View Full Version : OFHS grad honored for heroism in Iraq

thedrifter
02-08-04, 08:37 AM
OFHS grad honored for heroism in Iraq

Sunday, February 8, 2004

By Susan DeMar Lafferty

The Star
Neal Pugliese does not like to draw attention to himself. Just ask his mother or his comrades in the Marine Corps. But last week all eyes were upon the guy who joined the Corps on a bet after his graduation from Oak Forest High School in 1982.

Major Pugliese was awarded the Bronze Star with a combat "V" for valor, for his "heroic achievement" and "zealous initiative, courageous actions and exceptional dedication to duty" in Iraq last spring.

"He is one of only 125 individuals to receive this award out of more than 67,000 Marines and sailors who served in Iraq," said Major Ken White, public affairs director at the Marine Corps Recruiting Depot in Parris Island, S.C., where Pugliese has been stationed.

Pugliese's mom, Rose, who now lives in Orland Park, said, "I'm proud of him, but annoyed that he didn't tell us. I'm not surprised, though, because that's the type of person he is. He doesn't flaunt his accomplishments or achievements."

"The Bronze Star is unique," she said, "but then again, so is my son."

Neal is the seventh of nine sons in a family raised in Oak Forest. Rose and her husband, Tom, found out about his award from Number 8 son, Paul, who got an e-mail from Neal's wife on Wednesday, the day he was decorated.

In a telephone interview from Parris Island, Pugliese admitted he has received other medals and commendations for merit and achievement, but this is his only combat decoration.

On March 21, 2003, the major led the Maritime Special Purpose Force across the Iraqi border to seize an Iraqi police headquarters and United Nations compound.

"As we crossed the border, we were faced with a gathering threat that we had not fully expected," he said.

They were greeted by immediate and intense fire from the Iraqi 45th Infantry Brigade, which forced them to retreat a bit, regroup, and return fire. Pugliese led the attack that ultimately defeated the enemy and accomplished their mission over a three-day period.

"The real heroes are the 17- to 22-year-olds who are in the trenches day in and day out, making guys like me look good," he said.

The "stars" of that day were also those in the tanks and light armored vehicles who destroyed 25 to 30 Iraqi armored vehicles, he said.

Although the Marines were outnumbered 7 to 1, "never did they say we can't do this," Pugliese said. "Never did they complain. We just took the battle one step at a time."

The Marine Corps veteran also was cited for his actions on April 1, when he participated in a nighttime attack into An Nasiriyah to destroy the Ba'ath Party headquarters. This served, in part, to create a diversion during the rescue of Army Pvt. Jessica Lynch.

According to his citation, "His coolness, demeanor, and aggressive spirit were inspirational and directly influenced the outcome of each action."

"I just can't tell you how humbling this experience is," Pugliese said. "There are others who deserve this honor more than me. No man is an island. That is the strength of the Marine Corps."

He said he learned the value of teamwork at a young age.

"He's got his father's work ethic," said his mother. "This was impressed on all our sons. They all have a sense of duty and obligation."

His father, Tom, is a veteran of World War II, where he served with the Navy in the Pacific Ocean. Two other brothers have served their country — Kevin, in the Army, and Martin in the Marines.

Only Neal has made a career of it, serving for 22 years. He said he may retire in a couple of years.

"But if the Marine Corps asks me to stay, I will. I'll do whatever is needed of me."

He said he's "sad" that his old unit is heading back to Iraq without him. Pugliese will remain at Parris Island, where he is the anti-terrorism and force protection officer, security manager, and curriculum developer at the recruitment depot.

"If they ask me to go back (to Iraq) I will go without any hesitation," he said. "(My) personal opinion is that the nation is on the right track. We need to fight and win this now or we will be fighting for a long time. Let's just do it."

Iraq is not the first dangerous mission her son has been involved in, Rose said. In his 22 years with the Marines, he's served in drug interdiction on the Mexican border, in the evacuation of Liberia, and in Operation Desert Storm, she said.

She copes by "praying a lot."

"They say if it were up to mothers, there wouldn't be any wars."

http://www.starnewspapers.com/star/spnews/news/08-sp5.htm

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: