PDA

View Full Version : Another day in the Corps: 18 years started as four for one New York Marine

thedrifter
02-08-04, 08:33 AM
Another day in the Corps: 18 years started as four for one New York Marine
Submitted by: New York Public Affairs
Story Identification Number: 200426122331
Story by Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

NEW YORK(February 6, 2004) -- Gunnery Sgt. William Hines is a man who chews on a thought a bit before allowing it to escape from his mouth. Unlike some people, who will blurt out the first thing that comes to their mind, the Gunny thinks for a second. The six-foot-two Marine leans back in his swivel chair and speaks in a calm, clear voice. After almost 18 years in the Corps, he's used to Marines listening. This self-proclaimed "PT freak" reached a long-time personal goal in December when he was selected for the rank of first sergeant.

However, eighteen years ago, Hines never would have seen this coming.

"I actually got out [of the Marine Corps] after my first four years," he said. The Fort Bragg, Calif., native finished his first enlistment and moved to Florida one month before the Gulf War began.

"As soon as the Gulf War kicked off, I went to the recruiter to let me back in," said Hines. "Six months later I was back in the Corps."

That was in 1991, almost 13 years ago. For the second time in his career, Hines reported to a unit in North Carolina. He has spent about ten of the past 17 years stationed at or near Camp Lejeuene, and it shows. "My racquetball friends give me a hard time about my accent," drawled Hines. The acting Inspector-Instructor First Sergeant at 6th Communication Battalion in Brooklyn, N.Y., is also a professional racquetball player; he's been playing the sport since high school.

After he returned to active duty, Hines decided to make a career out of the Corps. He went on recruiting duty as a sergeant. "A three-year B-Billet is something you have to do to become a career Marine," he said. "And I love being a Marine." However, Hines said his three years spent on recruiting duty were the hardest he ever had as a Marine. "It was very stressful," the 35-year-old said matter-of-factly. "But I learned time management...and the tour made me stronger."

Hines used the lessons he learned at Recruiting Station Albany, N.Y. when he went back to North Carolina for his next duty station. "I ended up filling three hats at the same time," he said. Hines simultaneously filled the positions of acting Sergeant Major, Company Gunnery Sergeant, and Communications Chief before leaving for his current tour at 6th Comm.

The selected first sergeant is now filling the spot of I&I First Sergeant while 6th Comm changes over the position. He uses his role to mentor younger Marines.

"The word I always give is to always do the right thing," said Hines. "If you ever have any doubt that something is incorrect - don't do it." He said the philosophy applies not only to work, but it also works in every other aspect of life.

Hines has followed this and other Marine Corps values since he was a very young boy with a father in the Army.

"My grandma always used to ask me what I was going to be when I grew up," said Hines. "I would say I wanted to be an Army man," he said. "I guess I went one step up and found the best service for me."

After almost 18 years, Hines still anticipates each new day in the Corps. "I look forward to putting on cammies every day," he said. "I look forward to working with Marines, taking care of Marines...I love it."

Now, Hines has a new goal. "I'm thinking of staying in longer than twenty years," he said. "I'd like to stick around and see if I can pick up sergeant major."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200426123127/$file/hines1_low.jpg

Gunnery Sgt. William Hines is the acting Inspector-Instructor First Sergeant at 6th Communication Battalion in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was selected for the rank of first sergeant in December. Photo by: Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/66BC8F4921BDDD6585256E32005F8995?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: