PDA

View Full Version : Retired Marine writes guide to identifying military aircraft

thedrifter
02-08-04, 08:29 AM
Retired Marine writes guide to identifying military aircraft

By Linda McIntosh
COMMUNITY NEWS WRITER

February 6, 2004

CAMP PENDLETON – Binoculars pointed skyward and guide books open, they could be bird watchers. But instead, they are warbird watchers.

Steve Smith is one, and he wrote a book for others who like to spot and identify U.S. military aircraft.

Smith's book, "Warbird Watcher's Guide to the Southern California Skies," is packed with tips about how to recognize U.S. military planes and helicopters, from World War II classics to state-of-the-art fighter jets.

Smith, 42, a retired staff sergeant, served 20 years in the Marines, including four at Camp Pendleton.

During his tours of duty, he visited dozens of air museums, studying planes and keeping up a hobby that began when he was 12, when he attended his first air show in Texas.

Around base he was known for his airplane expertise.

"They thought I was an airwinger, but I was in motor transport," Smith said.

He might have become a pilot, but his eyesight was not good enough.

Off duty, Smith built model airplanes, hundreds of them.

He became familiar with the most minute details of different aircraft, ranging from the F22 Raptor to his favorite, the F4U Corsair.

"I always learned something new," said Smith, who donated many of his small 148-scale model planes to the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

An authority on military aviation insignia, specializing in Naval and Marine Corps aircraft, Smith serves as an assistant curator at the museum.

"There is so much information on an airplane, and it can tell us a lot," Smith said.

Design, paint scheme and markings are some of the identifiers.

Smith spent two years writing and researching the guide, which includes a list of air museums in Southern California.

He studied at area libraries and drew on his own extensive library of several hundred aviation books.

The guide covers dozens of planes. Each listing includes features to look for, descriptions, specifications, diagrams and photographs.

It was only by chance that Smith got to writing the book several years ago.

He happened to meet the owner of Sunbelt Publications at a restaurant.

"We shared a table because it was so crowded," Smith said. "We got to talking, and I told him what I was doing at the museum."

Then he asked Smith to guess his favorite plane. He gave a few clues: WWII amphibious biplane that landed on water and had a cargo hold under the cockpit.

Smith knew it was the Navy's J2F Duck.

"He told me he was looking for someone to write a book about planes, and my girlfriend told him, 'He's your guy.'"

For information and to order the guide, visit www.sunbeltbooks.com.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/military/20040206-9999_m1m06camppen.html

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: