PDA

View Full Version : Who run our Country

usmc4669
02-06-04, 12:38 PM
For some reason I cannot get off this First Amendment issue. To me it seems as if the Supreme Court has the final say in interpreting what the first Amendment means. So if you have conservatives Judges it would be interpreted one way and if you have Liberals Judges it would be interpreted another way, then if you have independents Judges it would be interpreted the right way or should.

Supreme Court Judges are appointed by our Congress to fulfill their needs not ours. Then why doesn't the people have the right to vote on who will serve on the Supreme Court? So that they would interpreted the First Amendment our way.:banana: :marine:

kentmitchell
02-06-04, 05:48 PM
We do have that right. Sort of. We elect the congressmen and senators who vote for the supreme court judges.
Those who elect people like Hillary, etc., get what they asked for--liberal judges.
If you don't like it, help chase the scalawags home and quit *****in'.

ivalis
02-06-04, 06:03 PM
the senate confirms the judges appointed by the president.

it takes quite a bonehead appointment by the president for his choice not to be confirmed (bork).

even thomas was confirmed.

both of you guys should look before you leap when you post something.

usmc4669
02-06-04, 06:25 PM
kentmitchell
Those who elect people like Hillary, etc., get what they asked for--liberal judges.
Isn't that what I said?
If you don't like it, help chase the scalawags home and quit *****in'. My FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I try to vote for the ones that will help all Americans not just me, even then some get through the cracks.

ivalis
it takes quite a bonehead appointment by the president for his choice not to be confirmed (bork).

even thomas was confirmed.
Like I said before, Isn't that what I said?
both of you guys should look before you leap when you post something. kentmitchell, looks like we have a real politician here.

kentmitchell
02-06-04, 06:30 PM
Only thing I know about politicians is when they're lying.
Just watch their lips. If they're moving, they're lying.

usmc4669
02-06-04, 06:48 PM
kentmitchell
Now I know what's wrong with you, you.re one of those Liberal Democrat. Should have known it. But that's your right "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"
Semper Fi Marine

greybeard
02-06-04, 10:27 PM
"the senate confirms the judges appointed by the president**...
...both of you guys should look before you leap when you post something."

Last I heard, Ivalis, the Senate was part of Congress.

**Except the ones who are recess appointments, of which there have been many-some even to the supreme court. It goes back as far as George Washington's presidency and has been used extensively by both parties. The founding fathers did in fact want to have Supreme Court members to be an elected position, but couldn't come to an agreement on how to do it. They compromised on the congressional confirmation process.

usmc4669
02-07-04, 09:04 AM
greybeard:

Thanks greybeard, seems as if I open up a can of worms. Congress I know, as well as anyone else, are the ones that control who are appointed to the Supreme Court, the problem with this, it depends on who is in control of the Congress, Democrats or Republicans. We elect those who will serve in the House and Senate, as the old saying goes, if you have a Democratic President them vote for a Republican Congress. I didn't mean to hit a nerve. And kentmitchell, "Only thing I know about politicians is when they're lying. Just watch their lips. If they're moving, they're lying." I disagree with this statement, We have had and do have some Politicians that works for the people, I may not agree with them all of the time, still we put them in office, that's why I made the statement that it would serve us the people better if we could elect the ones that are apponted to the Supreme Court, I know this will never happen. Isn't it nice to live in a country that you can disagree on who decides the policies for you?

Semper Fi

greybeard
02-07-04, 10:08 AM
Jefferson wanted elected federal judges, and even impeached 2 of them that were appointed by his predecessor. (one impeached for insanity-one impeached because he did not share Jefferson's views)The latter federalist judge's impeachment failed and Jefferson (a member of what was known as the democratic republican party then), gave up on the elected judge process.
Jefferson is known as a liberal, which he was domestically, but was hawkish as hell on foreign policy. Jefferson was the 1st president to send American troops into battle on foreign shores, without the consent, or notification of congress. He didn't notify congress of his actions until the following state of the union written message in Dec 1801.

usmc4669
02-07-04, 11:03 AM
greybeard
I surrender, I know when I am beat, thanks to all who have put in their two cents.
Semper Fi
Gunny

greybeard
02-07-04, 03:41 PM
According to his papers, that's pretty much what Jefferson said.
The thing about federal judgeships, is-they are often a lifetime appoitment. The constitution is pretty clear on this lifetime tenure. Many of us change our minds on things as we get older-Should an election for a Supreme Court justice come up while we were in our 20's, we would be voting in a justice that would likely sit in the bench our entire lives. Most of us (myself included) don't know much about constitutional law or interpertation. We may know how a certain potential supreme court justice stands on a few issues, but not nearly everything. Congress on the other hand, has bookoos of people at their disposal to find out how those appointees stand on virtually everything.

And no, you didn't open a can of worms. Been an interesting discussion.

usmc4669
02-07-04, 03:55 PM
greybeard
Thanks----I'm gone
Gunny

LONEEAGLE
02-08-04, 02:49 PM
Who was really the first President of the Newly formed America? If you say Washington, you're wrong.....Now all you wise men, give it your best shot, since you like to really spout off.

usmc4669
02-08-04, 03:40 PM
John Hanson, American Patriot and First President of the United States
(1715-1783)

greensideout
02-08-04, 07:59 PM
There was a United States to be President of in 1715?

Let's just boil this thing down---The CFR runs the US/World.

Not the President or Congress and it's a joke to think that a party of republicans or democrats have a say in anything that shapes the direction of the new world order.

ivalis
02-08-04, 08:52 PM
CFR?

greensideout
02-08-04, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by ivalis
CFR?

Council of Foreign Relations

ivalis
02-08-04, 09:21 PM
gotcha, thanks, i googled CFR, sounds a lot like the trilateral commission

greensideout
02-08-04, 09:33 PM
I have spent about 20 years trying to figure it out with much study---this has been my conclusion.
I may be wrong but I'm still looking for something to prove otherwise.

ivalis
02-08-04, 09:48 PM
i don't know if ya can point to this or any organization. i do agree there are just a handfull of folks calling the plays. i suspect money has somthing to do with it. kinda like the royal families of old.

usmc4669
02-08-04, 09:49 PM
ivalis
greensideout
Were you replying to BigEagle6, Who was the first President of the newly forned America?
Check the web for John Hanson, American Patriot and First President of the United States
(1715-1783)

greensideout
02-08-04, 09:50 PM
No question, old money rules. :)

ivalis
02-08-04, 10:24 PM
checked out John Hanson, good stuff.

Could also the argument be made that John Hancock, as president of the second continental congress when the declaration on independencs was signed, was the first president?

Just a thought.

We do celebrat July 4th as the birthday of the nation.

I always thought as the country starting w/ the constitution as the articles of confederation didn't quite work out. Interesting stuff for discussion.

proudmomrose
02-08-04, 11:03 PM
our politions make the rules
but the marines carry them out

usmc4669
02-09-04, 08:00 AM
Now that we know Who run our Country. Now who are thoses people that run them?