PDA

View Full Version : Son Being Sent Home?

David82d
11-06-17, 09:43 AM
My wife got a call about the boy who is about halfway through boot. They said he is pretty much about to come home but has to meet with the company commander first. Apparently discipline issues on top of getting a cigarette in the mail from an idiot friend. He would have been ok had he not hid the smoke and subsequently written a letter about how bad the drill instructors were.

Question is what are the chances the CO lets him stay? Or was that phone just a prep call to get us ready for him coming home?

David82d
11-06-17, 09:45 AM
My wife got a call about the boy who is about halfway through boot. They said he is pretty much about to come home but has to meet with the company commander first. Apparently discipline issues on top of getting a cigarette in the mail from an idiot friend. He would have been ok had he not hid the smoke and subsequently written a letter about how bad the drill instructors were.

Question is what are the chances the CO lets him stay? Or was that phone just a prep call to get us ready for him coming home?

Apologies if this isn't in the right forum. Momma is stressed and I'm looking for qualified opinions from real Marines.

Old Marine
11-06-17, 09:57 AM
Been a while since I was on the Drill Field, but in the last 60's and early 70's we would send problem children to CCP (Correctional Custody Platoon) which was a satalite of Special Training Branch. Get caught smoking unauthorized cigs and off you went. We also had other methods of curing smoking when not authorized. Junior must be a real loser to get tossed for smoking. Good luck.

Old Marine
11-06-17, 09:58 AM
Sorry about that. in the late not last.

David82d
11-06-17, 10:02 AM
What is more surprising is the discipline issues we had no idea about (course how would we ever know) and that was a tipping point. The Marine my wife spoke to said at the halfway point most recruits decide that they are going to be Marines. He said the boy has not exhibited that.

oldtop
11-06-17, 10:05 AM
just WHAT KIND OF CIGARETTE are we talking about here??? If it was nothing more than a regular smoke, he might be allowed to stay, perhaps doing some time in the "disciplinary platoon" before returning to a regular boot camp platoon... if it was marijuana or some other kind of contraband then that, coupled with his "disciplinary issues" is likely to earn him a one way ticket home....

David82d
11-06-17, 10:20 AM
sounds like just a smoke. We're more concerned about all the "dicipline issues" up to this point. I guess hiding it with all that let me look at the letter that showed him trashing them and they had it.

Just nail biting for my wife really. The boy wants to screw up its on him but I have a mother who was so proud and just bought a watch for him who is devastated and I have to look after her. Kills us to think he'd squander it.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:08 AM
You said disciplinary issues ON TOP OF getting caught with a cigarette. Maybe they will disclose to you the exact issues involved, but I have a feeling it's more than a smoke involved. Keep us posted, please.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:14 AM
You know by now that not everyone does the right thing, for themselves or for others. So whatever happens, naturally it was his own doing. His mom does not have to live her life via him. But on the...

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:25 AM
This Honorable Discharge way of separating people for the good of the service and for failure to adapt etc goes back to at least 1979-1982. Not sure when they went from "physical encouragement" to...

advanced
11-06-17, 11:26 AM
Also, please understand that the Marine Corps still has the highest standards when compared to the other branches, and requires much more from the individual. Your son must prove that he "fits" in the Marine Corps, the MC does not bend very much.

Lack of (self) discipline does not go very far in the USMC. Our entire ethos at times requires that we stand and fight till the end, this requires a great deal of self motivation and discipling. For your son's sake, as well as your family's I hope he can continue. But, from my personal experience, the worse thing a recruit, or a Marine for that matter, can be is a quitter. Just saying.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:27 AM
NOTE: This thread is also in Open Squad Bay with the same title, just so you know there are two threads going on the subject.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:28 AM
NOTE: Just so readers know, this thread is also going in Marine Family section, Open Discussion section. The same subject matter, so the readers know that this has two parts to it.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:30 AM
(OP, see what I said over in Marine Family--Open Discussion section where you posted the other thread)---you're getting, and will continue to get, responses in both places.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:31 AM
Further, YOU should call the Company Commander's office before or after your son meets with him, and get the entire story, as well as the Corps' plans for your son. Because "qualified opinions from real Marines" as you put it, don't count. We can opine all we like, but would be no closer to letting you know about your son's specific situation. Only you talking with the CO would be productive. Any answers you get here would only be opinions, like mine, and hardly definitive.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:37 AM
I asked admin to consider merging the thread in Marine Family--Open Discussion with THIS thread, for convenience of all concerned.

USMC 2571
11-06-17, 11:38 AM
I asked admin to consider merging this thread with the one already in Open Squad Bay, for everyone's convenience.

m14ed
11-06-17, 02:24 PM
My wife got a call about the boy

They said he is pretty much about to come home
but has to meet with the company commander .

discipline issues
on top of getting a cigarette in the mail
He would have been ok
had he not hid the smoke
and subsequently written a letter about how bad the drill instructors were.

Question is
what are the chances the CO lets him stay?
Or was that phone just a prep call to get us ready for him coming home?

Apologies if this isn't in the right forum.

Momma is stressed
and I'm looking for qualified opinions from real Marines.

David82d (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?123314-David82d)

"Bootcamp" is one of those places
somebody can just tell someone about,
IF somebody tries , they will either UNDER
tell it, or OVER tell it...no happy medium...

As a child long ago and having gone thru
Parris Island at the ripe age of 17-

your "son" didn't sneak one thru the mail from a
dumb friend who had mailed him one-
*twice in boot i had to open envelopes by moistening
the glue from the outside while doing pushups...

ONE envelope had a stick of ?spearmint gum and the DrillInstructor
was dying to see what was inside ( Trust me when i tell you he knew
what it was by the feel and smell) from the outside.
tother envelope was marked on the outside
S.W.A.K. and the Drill told me it wouldn't be fair for me just to
open it with out matching her kisses/-
^ told you that to tell you this.

Very little is ever pulled over on Drill Instructors....
they pick thru the mail, eyeball it, smell it, and finger-fark* it
probibly 20 times before it ever makes it to the squadbay where it
is handed out most times .

Your son , had been having problems before the Cigarette-
I wager - the "drills" let him hang himself - thinking he was pulling the wool
over their eyes-

Your son is getting the chance to "Sell himself" to the CO -

EITHER WAY - it isn't up to you or the lads mother -
Balls gonna be in your son's court if they let him stay
to try "harder".....

All of us wish you and your wife the best

doc h fmf
11-06-17, 04:01 PM
There was a certain standard I as a DOC always followed that was SEMPER FI, I was always faithful to god country but most of all I always was faithful to my Men in my company and platoon

Semper Fi and Godbless my brothers

m14ed
11-06-17, 04:10 PM
I asked admin to consider
merging this thread

with the one already in
Open Squad Bay,

for everyone's convenience.

WHAT ?

Do something that makes sense ???

Christmas is coming.....

Tennessee Top
11-06-17, 05:18 PM
I still belong to a Parris Island Family Support Group on Facebook from when my niece was there. Occasionally see posts about recruits being sent home for myriad reasons. Most of the time, it's because of medical issues but obviously there are also examples of "failure to adapt", "refusing to train", etc. It is true these problems mostly appear during the "breaking down process" in 1st Phase when the scuzzy civilian is removed from their bodies. By 2nd Phase, training moves to more Marine type things like Martial Arts qualification, swim qualification, and rifle qualification so attitudes markedly improve. Also, by 2nd Phase, recruits have figured out what their DI's expect of them and have adjusted to the training schedule.

From what I see, recruits are given the benefit of the doubt and, as long as they exhibit the desire to graduate and earn the title, the DI's will give them multiple opportunities to succeed (DI's do want to graduate recruits believe it or not). This can even include switching the recruit to a different platoon within the same training company so the recruit can get a fresh start with a different team of DI's (sometimes that makes the difference).

Nobody likes their DI's. Taking shots at them in letters is expected and will never upset a DI (they probably like it that way I'm sure). Only time a DI is allowed to read a letter is if contraband (the cigarette) is suspected. I seriously doubt they would hold your son accountable for something his idiot friend set him up for. Just like they don't hold recruits accountable when a girlfriend/wife sends perfumed envelopes (other than a few rounds of pushups, squat thrusts, etc). If your son is being threatened with being sent home, it's for other reasons besides these.

Bottom line (in my opinion). If your son wants to be there and earn the title, they will keep him. They will iron out any disciplinary issues and your son's life will be miserable for it. On the other hand. If he says/shows he has no desire to be a Marine, there is no reason he should stay and they'll send him back home with a nonpunitive/administrative separation.

Good luck to your family and your recruit. Let us know how it all works out.

David82d
11-07-17, 09:27 AM
Well dang. This kid

They took them out into formation and did a search. When they found the smoke, a stupid cig, they asked him and he ran away.

That's the end right there. He's in the sep platoon. Hope his state of mind is okay. Thank you everyone, for all replies.

oldtop
11-07-17, 10:15 AM
Dave, these days, there is one other kind of discharge, reserved for those that HAVE NOT COMPLETED THEIR INITIAL OBLIGATED SERVICE or boot camp... it is called "UNCHARACTERIZED SEPARATION" ... on the...

USMC 2571
11-07-17, 03:45 PM
Thanks, William. Very interesting. In the late 70s early 80s I think they just gave them honorable discharges and let them go.....is that part accurate, do you know or can you confirm that?

Old Marine
11-07-17, 04:47 PM
Further, YOU should call the Company Commander's office before or after your son meets with him, and get the entire story, as well as the Corps' plans for your son. Because "qualified opinions from real Marines" as you put it, don't count. We can opine all we like, but would be no closer to letting you know about your son's specific situation. Only you talking with the CO would be productive. Any answers you get here would only be opinions, like mine, and hardly definitive.

Parents call the Company Commander's these days. WOW. Does the CO actually talk to them? What the hell is going on in the Military these days. When I said Military, I didn't include the Air Farce.lol

Tennessee Top
11-07-17, 04:56 PM
Don't know if parents can call and talk to the CO (that's all the CO's would be doing all day). I do know, when a recruit gets dropped from training, the next of kin receives a phone call explaining the circumstances and what to expect next (dropped to medical, legal, separation platoon, etc). That call can come from an officer or one of the DI's with the recruit standing by so they know the call was made. In most cases, the recruit is given a few minutes to speak to their family in the presence of the Marine placing the call.

Tennessee Top
11-07-17, 05:18 PM
He pretty much sealed his own fate. Marines don't run away from anything. Sounds like a maturity issue to me. Hopefully, when he gets home, he can work on growing up.

Good luck to your son.

USMC 2571
11-07-17, 08:59 PM
"Company commander's office".

USMC 2571
11-07-17, 09:01 PM
OP, keep in mind what oldtop said, in his last sentence, about perhaps trying to join other branches at some later date.

FoxtrotOscar
11-07-17, 10:05 PM
NOTE: This thread is also in Open Squad Bay with the same title, just so you know there are two threads going on the subject.

Be advised the two threads have been merged to avoid confusion effective 2005, 11-7-17...

irpat54
11-08-17, 06:57 AM
the one big thing that kept me going in Boot Camp was that I did not want to be sent home and face my Family as a quitter, that to me was more unimaginable that any other possibility, to embarrass myself and my Family it that way...

If this young lad is being sent home for something other then medical, I really feel for this family, that is very disappointing indeed.

advanced
11-08-17, 04:08 PM
I came out of PI knowing that the lowest thing in life was a quitter. A quitter is lower than whale shiit which is at the bottom of the ocean. I guess we were just trained differently back then, it never entered my mind to quit. Just saying.

USMC 2571
11-09-17, 06:35 AM
People's entire MINDSETS were vastly different back then, Russ. This is not even the same country it was when we were growing up, hence all the unbelievable changes, none for the better. End of short sermon.

FistFu68
11-09-17, 08:22 AM
Being a HotDog can get other Marines killed not being a Team player,look at it this way Your only as Strong as your weakest Link

oldtop
11-09-17, 09:07 AM
it would be interesting to get the WHOLE story on this deal.....

USMC 2571
11-09-17, 09:09 AM
We probably will, William...but again, OP, keep in mind what was said earlier, that perhaps your son will be eligible to join some other branch after some time goes by. Just something to consider, if and when the issue(s) are resolved.

oldtop
11-09-17, 10:00 AM
Dave, the "UNCHARACTERIZED" discharge came about sometime in the late 80's, very early 90's... prior to that they would get an "HONORABLE" or a "GENERAL UNDER HONORABLE CONDITIONS" in most cases.......

USMC 2571
11-09-17, 10:36 AM
Thanks, Top....my JAG time was 1979-1982.

advanced
11-09-17, 11:57 AM
Thanks, Top....my JAG time was 1979-1982.
Dave, do you mean that was your air force time?

David82d
11-09-17, 12:36 PM
I'd like to get the full story myself. Right now all we got was 2 minutes to talk to him when it was still up in the air and we encouraged him to do everything he could when he went in front of the CO. Didn't help him in the end.

You think I don't know about quitting or that quitting is just not an option? I wasn't there nor am I him. I'm just reaching out for advice which is irrelevant at this point since he dug his own grave.

irpat54
11-09-17, 01:34 PM
I'd like to get the full story myself. Right now all we got was 2 minutes to talk to him when it was still up in the air and we encouraged him to do everything he could when he went in front of the CO. Didn't help him in the end.

You think I don't know about quitting or that quitting is just not an option? I wasn't there nor am I him. I'm just reaching out for advice which is irrelevant at this point since he dug his own grave.

I know it's tuff not being able to help in any way when my Daughter was in Recruit training, She was put back a bit due to her not qulifing with the rifle, and me being an old Markmenship instructor couldn't do a thing to help... I understand your frustration.

FistFu68
11-09-17, 01:42 PM
Thats gotta be very hard for Yah Mister to deal with

DocCrow
11-09-17, 07:39 PM
From a Devil Doc there may be more to this story the a short phone call received earlier. As someone said you may make a call to the CC and see if you can get greater clarification on the issue or issues

USMC 2571
11-13-17, 07:05 AM
I suggested that, and not the CC himself, but his office. Someone will probably be able to give the OP some good information.

Mongoose
11-13-17, 07:22 AM
Dave, do you mean that was your air force time?

Russ..say it ain't true, please, say it ain't true brother.........

USMC 2571
11-13-17, 07:33 AM
Oh here we go....yes yes yes yes yes yes, for the 100th time, my JAG time was 1979-1982, USAF.....TWELVE YEARS after I got out of the Corps. LOL

m14ed
11-13-17, 04:52 PM
Billymongoose -
You better stop makin' fun of
Daves AirforceTime

and making fun of his SMALL FONT

advanced
11-13-17, 05:05 PM
Do you see Billy, it wasn't me, it was you. Ed's perception has no bounds.

SGT7477
11-13-17, 09:39 PM
Settle down air force Dave,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.