PDA

View Full Version : SSgt's as Squad Leaders...???

FoxtrotOscar
10-15-17, 06:37 PM
Now someone wants to restructure something that isn't broken...??? What's Next make Generals Company Commanders..?? Make Ssgt's squad leaders while that 22 year old 2nd Lt is giving Platoon...

Kegler300
10-15-17, 06:55 PM
I was a squad leader as a corporal ... So sergeants will now become fire team leaders? Doesn't make sense.

advanced
10-15-17, 08:29 PM
I was a squad leader as a corporal ... So sergeants will now become fire team leaders? Doesn't make sense.
I was also a squad leader when I was a Cpl. at the age of 20. We did our job well, I just couldn't keep a full squad because of casualties.

jab116
10-15-17, 10:00 PM
So let me get this straight, "fewer than one in five Marines has a single deployment under their belt and the number of Marines who have deployed twice is now less than one in ten according to Marine officials". Yet somehow, HQMC can afford to take these experienced and valuable staff NCO's and afford to lose them to lower leadership billets?

And lets not forget about how they are taking this whole Übersquad way to far.

"Squad leaders’ will need to counter enemy drones, electronic jamming and information warfare in the middle of a fight — all while running the squad",

“I’m willing to pay them more. In fact, I wouldn’t mind going out and recruiting these people. The special operations community gets to do all of those things: They put devices on their people; they recruit them; they retain them in a different way and they pay them more money.”

"Infantry Marines are often teenagers, while members of U.S. special operations forces are typically at least 10 years older, Scales said."

They need to stop trying to make regular line company infantry SOF. The infantry is not SOF. The regular infantry will never be on par with nor have the same capabilities as SOF. Seems to me like they are trying to play dress-up.

Zulu 36
10-16-17, 06:04 AM
At age 19 and a LCpl, I was a fire team leader in my unit's provisional rifle platoon in Vietnam. Big deal, you say. But, I was in charge of two Corporals and a Sergeant. I got the job because I had...

Mongoose
10-16-17, 07:21 AM
I can assure you....all this is pure bull****......I can assure you, all our combat battles since WW1, was fought and won, mostly by Lance Cpls. They, along with Cpls. are the backbone of the Marine Corps Infantry. In Nam, we very seldom ever seen any NCO over E-6

advanced
10-16-17, 08:33 AM
In my company, in the ****, we had a real good Gunny. He once gave me a high compliment, he told me personally "Looks like we found something you're really good at." Made my day and I've always remembered that moment.

USMC 2571
10-16-17, 08:52 AM
When your television was working just fine, did you ever unplug it and take it completely apart looking for the problem? Of course not. What about your automobile or truck? Did you ever call a repair shop and report no problem, you just want to see about a problem? They would commit you to the nearest facility. Did you ever paint a house that was just painted? Tiled a brand new floor? Studied the alphabet even though you've known it since childhood?

NO.

Fix the Marine Corps when it is not broken??

YES, in complete and utter defiance of common sense.

FistFu68
10-16-17, 10:31 AM
Yessir everybody wants too be a real BadA$$ "Special This"...start sending all those Old Timers SOF too start knocking out Bunkers 24/7 for months at a crack...then uPdate me at a latter time with this BS

advanced
10-16-17, 12:37 PM
Aren't we all "special" in some way? Possibly, but leave the friggin Marine Corps Infantry alone!

Some call us the tip of the spear, but from my experience we were much more like a giant sledge hammer that never quits and pounds the crap out of everything in front of us. Just saying.

Tennessee Top
10-16-17, 03:57 PM
If the Army's already doing it, that tells me we should not even consider the idea.

USMC 2571
10-16-17, 04:44 PM
Good thread. This reminds me of the fact that Mongoose (Billy) and I used to each subscribe to Leatherneck, but the last few years and beyond, have been so different from what we know of the Corps, that we have no idea what they're even talking about in most of those magazine articles.

So there is nothing more predictable than the fact that there WILL be change, that is understandable. But change for the sake of change is a phenomenon that we're seeing not just in the Corps but in society as a whole.

Mongoose
10-17-17, 06:43 AM
Marines were the best of the best......now we're just like the rest....how's that for a recruiting logo??

advanced
10-17-17, 10:28 AM
MCRD San Diago, where kinder, gentler Marines are trained. Kind of has a ring to it. Just saying.

USMC 2571
10-17-17, 10:36 AM
hahahaha. Billy hates that talk about San Diego, thinks it is the REAL USMC boot camp, for some reason.

Zulu 36
10-17-17, 02:42 PM
San Diego IS the real boot camp. Especially when you add the Pendleton mountains to it. Not to mention the torture of the airport literally across a fence, able to see all those free people going anywhere they want to. Never mind in our day, they didn't have jet noise reduction rules in place, so good luck hearing drill commands when a jet liner was taking off. Time to play in the sand.

FistFu68
10-17-17, 03:30 PM
Take your Sunglasses oFF Sarge then you could read his lips:marine:

Mongoose
10-17-17, 04:07 PM
31919It's a sad day when you say your a real Marine....when you haven't humped this little hill, in the cold rain, in the dark, at 2 O'clock in the morning, with everything you have, on your back......singing the Marine Corps Hymn.

Zulu 36
10-18-17, 05:27 AM
31919It's a sad day when you say your a real Marine....when you haven't humped this little hill, in the cold rain, in the dark, at 2 O'clock in the morning, with everything you have, on your back......singing the Marine Corps Hymn.

Humping as fast as the troop handlers can make you go because there is an informal speed contest among them.

Mongoose
10-18-17, 06:50 AM
That's right Chris......slow was not a word in their vocabulary. Also, in ITR, we slept in the bush, in tents. No barracks for real Marines. We had no heat. We had outdoor showers with no hot water. It must have been nice to have had warm barracks and hot water to shower in.......just saying

Hammer
10-18-17, 07:32 AM
San D
Marine wannabe's!

advanced
10-18-17, 07:37 AM
I'm a PI Marine that walked up that little hill. Is that all that you got my SD brothers? Remember I played out there as well.

Zulu 36
10-18-17, 09:27 AM
I'm a PI Marine that walked up that little hill. Is that all that you got my SD brothers? Remember I played out there as well.

Only walked? Pfft. Just saying.

advanced
10-18-17, 11:11 AM
To PI Marines that little hill was much like a walk in the park. To hear the SD Marines talk it was life or death experience. Now I'm not attempting to demean SD Marines, I can see how that little hill was very big in their little minds. But to us PI Marines, really?

Mongoose
10-18-17, 04:11 PM
Russ, we will take into consideration your age and state of mind, not to laugh at your feeble attempt to fit in with real Marines. How nice was it in ITR at PI?? I mean being inside with real bunks and eating chow at a mess hall. Having a nice leisurely warm shower.......ahhhhhh the memories you have....just saying.

Quinbo
10-19-17, 10:32 AM
Tennessee Top or someone had already pointed out that the Army T/O for a platoon sergeant is a E-7 and squad leader is E-6. Promote them faster and pay them more for doing the same job. A company may also have a Sergeant Major doing what we Marines are accustomed to seeing a 1st Sgt do thus the distinction of Army command Sgt Major.

All that said, I think assistant squad leader would be an unfilled billet unless they made platoons bigger. The platoon sergeant would be a gunny ect.