PDA

View Full Version : Honorably discharged veterans will soon get to shop tax-free...

FoxtrotOscar
07-22-17, 01:18 PM
Starting later this year, all honorably discharged veterans, no matter their branch of service, will be eligible to shop tax-free online at the Army & Air Force Exchange Service with the same...

USMC 2571
07-22-17, 03:03 PM
Thanks. Mike. I saw some discussion on another site that questions how much savings would be involved etc but all those details remain to be seen. At first I thought it was being done primarily to help veterans, but I can see that the first consideration is competition with amazon.com, and that will be an uphill battle for anyone challenging amazon.com. Anyway, thanks for the post.

Rattlesnake
07-22-17, 04:07 PM
I saw this last night...and think it's a terrific ideas. I've also heard that PX's, Base Exchanges etc may allow DOD employees and contractors with proper credentials (badges) to shop on base, maybe as soon as next year.

chulaivet1966
07-22-17, 07:22 PM
Hey FTO.....

Well.....I'm liking that idea.
I sure hope Moffett Field still has a well stocked PX because I'd be checking it out right away.

It would be like going back in time for me.
I've stood every gate/post on that base for 1.5 years.

Thanks for that nugget of info.

(EDIT: oh....online only)

Carry on.....

USMC 2571
07-22-17, 08:40 PM
I'm all for it, Wayne, just a bit disappointed that the main reason for it seems to be competing with amazon rather than mainly to help vets.

chulaivet1966
07-22-17, 09:19 PM
I'm all for it, Wayne, just a bit disappointed that the main reason for it seems to be competing with amazon rather than mainly to help vets.

Hey Dave....

You did bring up a couple of points that one should keep their mental antenna trained on regarding just how economical it will be?....or not.
We just don't know yet.
I do hope it works out.

A good night o all.....

Tennessee Top
07-23-17, 07:14 AM
I applaud any efforts to beat amazon at their own game. Only shop there when there is no other alternative. Helping veterans is icing on the cake!

Old Marine
07-23-17, 08:56 AM
Most stores in most any town are cheaper than the Military Exchange, including gas and food.

USMC 2571
07-23-17, 09:00 AM
Good point, Willie.

madsox
07-23-17, 09:58 AM
I'm following this too - agree with Dave that it's not mainly being done to help vets, and it won't likely be cheaper, but if it gives another choice that takes a few $$ away from Amazon? I like it. And for vets who don't have easy access to options, it may be a really Good Thing (like for me, there are Walmarts and Costco and Sams Club all within 20 minutes drive, not everybody has that).

Anyway, we'll see how it works out.

s/f

USMC 2571
07-23-17, 01:33 PM
True---good for folks who have to travel far to get things.

Old Marine
07-23-17, 02:20 PM
Haven't been on MCRD, San Diego for a few years, but the PX used to be the Rodeo Drive of the West Coast. If you were going to shop there, you had to make the money of a Colonel Might have changed by now.

Rattlesnake
07-23-17, 06:21 PM
We went to the PX in 2008 when my son graduated from MCRD. As I remember it was very nice, and it seems like it was a bit expensive. They really have high quality merchandise...and Marine Corps items you can't find any other place. I bought a leather belt with a gold Eagle, Globe and Anchor that I wear on special occasions.