PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Know My Dad? (Vietnam, 1963-1967)

UnderINK
07-14-17, 05:18 PM
Sorry, I would have posted this elsewhere but the only place it really fit I don't have permission to post in. <br />
<br />
I posted on this forum a loooooooong time ago looking for help with how to locate my...

chulaivet1966
07-14-17, 08:44 PM
He was a corporal in the Marine Corps, entering Parris Island in 1963 and stationed at Camp Lejeune, part of the Communications Company, Headquarters Battalion, 2nd Marine Division (CommCo, HqBn, 2dMarDiv, FMF, CLNC on sheet). Is this the one nicknamed The Silent Second? Deployed to Vietnam, employed as a Wireman.

Ava....
Just for clarity sake the 2nd Marine Division was not deployed to Vietnam.
(if any here know more than myself feel free to educate us)

I don't know him but in case others do and need their memory jogged do you know what unit he may have been TAD in Vietnam with?

Sorry to respond to your question with a question. :)

Good luck....

USMC 2571
07-14-17, 09:07 PM
Good post, Wayne-----coincidentally, I was in the Corps the same years and at the same Comm Co, Hq Bn 2nd Mar Div for one year. Let me know when, from the records, he was at Camp Lejeune. I have some duty rosters here from that unit.

USMC 2571
07-14-17, 09:08 PM
Also, I would encourage you to contact the Second Marine Division Association. They might be able to help. Some member(s) might have known him or known of him. They also have a magazine with various features in it, ask them if there is a section there about locating people.

advanced
07-15-17, 08:13 AM
I don't know about the west coast but on the east coast back in the 60's we were all with the 2nd Marine Div. When I went to Nam my orders stated simply FMF Pacific. In the Nam at Freedom Hill I was assigned to the 1 Marine Division, 5th Reg. Others were assigned to the 3rd Division. I think Billy was with the 5th Division, 26th Reg., but since the 5th Division wasn't in the Nam his Batt. was assigned to the 3rd Div., then they were TAD'd to us in the 1st Div. as Reserve Batt. Billy can clarify better.

Mongoose
07-16-17, 09:32 AM
That is correct, Russ. We were 5th Division but the 26th Marine Regiment was under operation control of the 3rd Div. then later the 1st Div. When I got to Nam, 3/26 was assigned to 3rd. Div. In the Fall, 3rd Bat. was assigned to 1st. Div. as support Bat. for the 1st Marine Div.