PDA

View Full Version : Does being super slow make me a lazy Marine?

Vaega91
06-12-17, 09:32 AM
Good morning all,

I'm 25 years old, male, mechanic in the active duty. I've always been a slow runner. Extremely slow. I'm not out of shape, just slow.

I recently ran a PFT; 23 pullups, 115 crunches, 28:02 on the run. I'm embarassed because not only did I fail, but another Marine who failed it that day because he couldn't meet the minimum pullups or pushups beat me on the run.

I also had rhabdo from overtraining last year, so training for the run has been even harder than usual. Am I terrible? Am I really different from that other Marine who failed or am I just as bad? Just looking for opinions from Marines who aren't my peers because all I keep hearing is "don't worry about it, we know you're not a piece of crap."

Kurt Loadeater
06-12-17, 09:46 AM
Why do you think you are bad at running? Perhaps there is a cause. In my case, I discovered that my run time was greatly affected by my flexibility (particularly in my hips). This was something I worked on, and got my 3 mile run time down from mid 20's to 19 when I was in.

Vaega91
06-12-17, 12:43 PM
I've always been bad at running, even when I was running 20+ miles a week. I just can't run fast, even with speed training. It's mostly because of Marines that are fat as hell and don't PT who outrun me, it boggles my mind.

I'm gonna try those hip stretches, maybe gain some length on my stride.

Kurt Loadeater
06-12-17, 12:50 PM
At the very least, it won't hurt you. It'll definitely improve your overall athleticism if you stick with it. There are a number of sequences I've rotated through over the years. Here's a good one as an example: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/limber-11-the-only-lower-body-warm-up-youll-ever-need.html

advanced
06-12-17, 12:51 PM
Just a thought, maybe you need someone to run after you with a hatchet? Used to be if you failed the run you got the crap knocked out of you or much worse. Loss of liberty, no promotions, all kinds of shivt details etc. Maybe you need a better motivator.

irpat54
06-12-17, 01:59 PM
also, look at your gate, I.E. how big of a step you take when running each time. when I was in, my run time fell from 19 to 22 min. and I couldn't figure it out, then a friend of mine that I went to Boot with noticed that I didn't take as big of a step when running as I used to, as soon as I opened up my gate my run time fell back to where it used to be.
the size of your step makes a big difference.

Tennessee Top
06-12-17, 05:07 PM
I'm short and stubby so never was a fast runner even in highschool. When I was in the best shape of my career and a PT stud, I could max out the pull-ups and sit ups but never maxed out the run (think my fastest time was 23 minutes and change). Still, with those scores, I managed a first class PFT score so it never hurt me promotion-wise.

Failing the PFT is unsatisfactory - you know that (that's why you're here asking questions). I also suffered from overuse injuries resulting in two leg surgeries which slowed me down even more (I kept running and training hard even though my body is not built for it resulting in chronic compartment syndrome).

Can't really offer any advice cause I don't know how much of your situation is mental (want to) or physical.

I can tell you, if you want to stay in, you're going to have to figure it out sooner rather than later. Doesn't sound like you're failing the run by that much so you should be able to make up the time you need to - IF you want to.

Good luck Devil.

FoxtrotOscar
06-12-17, 07:18 PM
Really...?? you've been in since 2010 and still a Pvt and can't pass a PFT...

Kegler300
06-12-17, 08:09 PM
I took my 3-mile run time down from 25 minutes to 17 minutes by distance running and sprint workouts. Running sprints condition your fast twitching muscles which increase your speed for duration runs. I ran 3-5 miles a day five days a week, and ran short sprints after each run.

Mistybluelady
06-13-17, 08:30 AM
Im confused... your profile says E1 still after 7 years? Other than that.. join a running group, learn to run programs will help.

irpat54
06-13-17, 10:55 AM
Really...?? you've been in since 2010 and still a Pvt and can't pass a PFT...

I thought career Pvt. were no longer allowed. hmm, somthing doesn't add up.

Mistybluelady
06-15-17, 09:04 AM
looks like the Pvt might have gone running :angel:

FoxtrotOscar
06-15-17, 09:56 AM
31576 c r i c k e t s . . .