PDA

View Full Version : Good movie, Jack Webb does a good job. Scene from the D. I.

irpat54
06-08-17, 09:42 AM
Brings back such great memories..lol..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bgdpwjMsx4

irpat54
06-08-17, 09:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riYfFQMPIP0

advanced
06-08-17, 03:25 PM
They showed us this movie when we were in 5th phase at PI. I always liked it but Full Metal Jacket was more realistic to my time.

Zulu 36
06-10-17, 01:43 PM
Yeah, my platoon saw it too in Third Phase. We thought it was neat, 90-minutes of relaxation in an air conditioned theater. Nobody cared what the subject matter was about. Our DIs did patrol to make sure no one fell asleep though.

My favorite part has always been about their searching for the dead sand flea so they could give it a proper funeral.

m14ed
06-10-17, 04:12 PM
my platoon saw it too .

We thought it was neat,
90-minutes of relaxation
in an air conditioned theater.

Nobody cared
what the subject matter was about.

Our DIs did patrol to make sure no one fell asleep though.

My favorite part has always been about their searching for the dead sand flea so they could give it a proper funeral.

I guess the CORPS by then had become a
"SoftBunch of Pussies" -

"When I went thru "
The choices at the time were to either
#1 view it @ the base gymnasium
or
#2 the base swimming pool-

We lucked out and got to view the flick
sitting on the wooden deck of the gym.

The rest of us were anxious to see just how
long we could tread water !

silverdollar
06-11-17, 06:42 AM
Movies at PI, hard for me to believe , what the hell happened to Marine Corps boot camp?

advanced
06-11-17, 07:00 AM
Yes, the truth is now coming out. At PI we had movies every night except on Saturday, then we had a dinner dance and a floor show. None of us wanted to leave, ever.

Hammer
06-11-17, 08:21 AM
I remember at PI that the truck came around the barracks and took us to town to go bar hopping every Friday night.

Mongoose
06-11-17, 08:56 AM
That's why we real Marines at SD, called PI Disneyland. Our Marine brother Dave told me they had bleachers around PI, so parents could come and watch their off springs have fun.

Old Marine
06-12-17, 08:26 AM
I heard they have a Roach Coach that comes to the Rifle Range at Pleasure Island.

irpat54
06-12-17, 02:27 PM
I heard they have a Roach Coach that comes to the Rifle Range at Pleasure Island.

ROFLMBO, okay not that's funny,...

mexbearlll
06-12-17, 09:44 PM
Wow, "Roach Coach" I haven't heard that saying in a long time.

irpat54
06-13-17, 10:57 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post

ROFLMBO, okay not that's funny,...

I mean NOW that's funny.

Dutch58
02-11-18, 06:24 PM
We watched "The D.I." at the Silver Dollar drive-in in Phoenix back in the summer of 1956. Me, my girlfriend, and my best buddy in the backseat with his girlfriend. Somewhere around the middle of the movie I said, "I'm gonna be a Marine!" They all laughed. Jim said, "Hey, ain't you seeing what's going on in the movie?" I said "YEP!", and they all laughed again. "No way you'd make it in that there Marine Corps," said Jim. February 12, 1958, I joined the Corps. August 31, 1985, retired on 28 years. Best decision of my life.

gkmoz
02-11-18, 09:34 PM
The D.I.'s on the rifle range in the week of snapping in brought coffee and crispy creme doughnuts for all the D.I.'s and the instructor ! that was probably the madest I was in boot up to that point lol :) no roach coaches that I remember? in the Full metal jacket movie pvt.pyle got a jelly doughnut into the barracks! where in the world did he find a jelly doughnut? let alone get it back to the barracks ! when we wanted something sweet? we ate packets of sugar that I remember. and we never saw a movie at P.i. we saw one at Gieger at the drive -in on the gravel though :)

Zulu 36
02-12-18, 05:47 AM
I always wondered about that jelly doughnut scene in FMJ too. But it did make for a great scene.

We did get to see a movie during boot camp. "The DI" with Jack Webb.

Mongoose
02-12-18, 06:30 AM
We didn't get the pleasure of movies at SD. We were too busy getting our azzes beat into Marines.

Zulu 36
02-12-18, 07:53 AM
We didn't get the pleasure of movies at SD. We were too busy getting our azzes beat into Marines.

I went to SD. God forgive you if the real DIs caught you dozing off during "their" movie.

Mongoose
02-13-18, 07:14 AM
Chris, those that went through PI and went to Nam.......SD Marines had to get them into shape and physically train them, because their training was all films of real Marines training in SD. just saying.....