PDA

View Full Version : Enlistment/MOS help

ayc1223
06-06-17, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking about enlisting and would like to know which MOS people WOULD NOT recommend. For an example, I heard about 90% of Marines hate being an MP.

Thanks.

irpat54
06-06-17, 10:29 PM
You will take a test and that will determine what you qualify for, and then you can chose, provided that they are open. But ultimately it will be what the needs of the Corps were at that time.

advanced
06-07-17, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone,

So I'm thinking about enlisting and would like to know which MOS people WOULD NOT recommend. For an example, I heard about 90% of Marines hate being an MP.

Thanks.
Before going to the Nam I was an MP and I loved it. My job was to patrol the base housing and protect all those ladies home alone by themselves. I protected many of them. I also loved being a bush Marine except for the living conditions and many other things.

ayc1223
06-07-17, 12:03 PM
Ok. Thank you

Patricknj
06-28-17, 07:25 PM
Questions for Infantryman!

Can someone explain to me a day in the life of an infantryman during peacetime?

How often do you usually go on humps or ruck marches with packs?

Knowing what you know now would you still go infantry all over again?

Aylicia
08-09-17, 11:09 AM
It's really difficult for me to suggest an MOS field to you (or anyone) if you haven't taken the ASVAB. The ASVAB will determine what you're qualified for in the Marine Corps, and depending on your line scores from the ASVAB will determine what MOS field you qualify for. From there you can narrow it down to what you want to do based on input from past Marines.

For example, I wanted to do Intel (02xx) but my GT score was 102. I needed to have a 110 and waivers weren't allowed for that field. Next I wanted to do Aircraft Maintenance or Avionics (60/61/62 and 63xx), but my MM score is a 90. I had to have a score of 110 and I couldn't get a 3-point waiver. So my options were really limited to what I wanted to do. It was either Admin or something else. I'm choosing Motor Transportation (35xx) because Admin doesn't interest me.

Having said that, you need to see what you're qualified for FIRST, then decide on what you are INTERESTED IN. Research and see what an average day is like in the field. Also pick an MOS that has good promotion and can give you decent skills to market should you choose either to get out after your first enlistment.

Kurt Loadeater
08-09-17, 11:54 AM
Questions for Infantryman!

Can someone explain to me a day in the life of an infantryman during peacetime?

How often do you usually go on humps or ruck marches with packs?

Knowing what you know now would you still go infantry all over again?

How many humps you do will depend on your unit / BN commander, and how much he likes them. I had one that loved them. We typically did them on a Friday, and I kind of liked em because you're just going for a walk and typically everyone just wants to relax and hang out so we could all break for the weekend.

I couldn't really comment on what the peacetime infantry is like. But if I was joining the Marine Corps during peacetime (and thought it was likely I would not deploy) I might've chosen a different MOS with what I know now. I generally thought being around Lejeune was unpleasant, and would rather be out in the field or in Iraq. For sure the infantry still does field ops during peacetime, but I'm just speculating that the intensity and duration are diminished as opposed to preparing for a deployment. Maybe a different MOS would've made being on a big base more interesting.