PDA

View Full Version : Training helps Marines save lives during Djibouti bombing accident

thedrifter
02-02-04, 07:25 AM
Training helps Marines save lives during Djibouti bombing accident
Submitted by: Headquarters Marine Corps
Story Identification Number: 200413011341
Story by Cpl. Wayne Campbell

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER, N.C.(January 30, 2004) -- Marines train hard from the time they step on the yellow footprints in boot camp until they leave the Marine Corps.

Many Marines may never see the reasoning behind all the hard work and long hours of training for something that may never happen, but some do, such as the Marines and Sailors assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-461 during the Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa in Djibouti from April to September 2003.

When the Marines awoke in the early morning of June 22, 2003, to participate in a supporting training exercise (SATEX) at Godoria Range, approximately 60 miles north of Camp Lemonier, they did not realize that their Marine Corps training was going to be put to the test.

"The exercise was in the middle of the hamsi season," said Maj. Sean M. Salene, director of safety and standardization for HMH-461, also the senior squadron officer present at Godoria Range. "The hamsi is a 50-day period in Djibouti where the high winds come off the land instead of the ocean, so the weather was very hot and overcast."

The three CH-53Es and 23 squadron personnel were scheduled as the medical evacuation stand-by for the evolution, and the helicopters and crew were positioned near the range observation post.

"Most of the Marines where sitting in the aircraft or in the shade of the aircraft to escape the 119 degree heat," explained Salene.

According to Salene, the mortars had finished putting their rounds down range when the Air Force B-52s were called in to drop laser-guided bombs on their targets.

"The B-52s where scheduled to do a dry pass over the range, then circle around for the hot pass," said Salene.

According to Salene, he was near the observation post overlooking the targets when he heard a loud crack behind him.

The crack he heard was nine bombs impacting the area where the helicopters were positioned.

"I turned around and saw what had happened and my first thought was my crew," said Salene.

Sgt. Richard A. Dorsett, Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron-26 aircraft ordnance systems technician, was sitting near the observation post listening to the aircraft being called in over the radio when he began to get up from his seat, but was knocked to the lava rock by a blast.

"I got up off the ground and saw the aircraft on fire," said Dorsett. "All the Marines around jumped up and immediately ran to the aircraft to pull the injured to safety."

As Salene ran the distance from the observation post to the aircraft he began stripping off his weapon, helmet and body armor to gain speed any way he could.

"I could hear the screams of the injured," said Salene. "I could feel the immense heat from the fire. It was like a dream where no matter how hard I tried I just couldn’t run fast enough.”

Despite personal injuries, the Marines were pulling the more severely injured to a casualty collection point, when they realized Lt. Eric E. Netland, squadron flight surgeon, was severely injured and unable to provide medical assistance. His medical bag was also destroyed from the blast.

“We were trying to keep Lieutenant Netland awake but he was loosing a lot of blood,” said Dorsett. “When he would regain consciousness he would tell us how to treat the injuries of the other Marines.”

Dorsett, recalling that there was approximately 5,000 armor piercing incendiary .50 caliber rounds on the aircraft, began yelling for everybody to take cover. He knew that the ammunition would heat up and begin firing, posing another threat to the Marines.

According to Dorsett, despite the .50 caliber rounds impacting the area, the Marines did not hesitate to put themselves in danger to assist their fellow Marines and render first aid.

"Despite the Marines having little medical equipment and training, they did everything they were supposed to," said Salene. "They used T-shirts and blouses as bandages to protect burn victims from the sun and used belts as tourniquets, like they were trained in boot camp. They recalled their first aid training."

When the medical evacuation helicopters arrived approximately one hour later, the Marines covered the wounded with their bodies to help protect them from the debris kicked up from the rotor blades, according to Salene.

Salene recalls looking at all the tired, sweaty and bloody faces of the young Marines on the 25 minute ride back to Camp Lemonier, and was moved by their courage and bravery.

Salene attributes the Marines' ability to stay calm during the situation to the leadership training the Marine Corps instills into every Marine.

"The Marines did not require any direction, they did not panic and took initiative without hesitation, regardless of rank," said Salene. "It is one thing to watch this kind of situation on TV, but when you see your friend with that kind of trauma it can be shocking. I couldn't ask for anything more than what they did."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/8A8C2E30DA5C93A085256E2B00583A5E?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: