PDA

View Full Version : Berets for U.S. Marines

kentmitchell
02-02-04, 06:30 AM
Hey,
Everyone else has them. Why can't we?

MillRatUSMC
02-02-04, 06:56 AM
DON'T need those "FRENCHY THINGS" ...The Eagle, Globe and Anchor is all we need to tells us apart from the other services.
Why in God's name do we want to be like all the other services?
The Dress Blues are good as is, a "Beret" won't make them any better.
All of the above is my opinion and I'm responsibile for that opinion.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

foxman
02-02-04, 07:03 AM
The Corp Don't need any damn Beret. We got our own Cover with THE GREATEST EMBLEM EVER. I know the World is Changeing, but change ain't always good. A MARINE stands out in a crowd just because He's a MARINE. We don't need any funky little HAT. Besides The Corp doesn't need to copy anything from the Army. ARMY stands for: Ain't Real Men Yet. I LOVE MY CORP just the way it is.

jryanjack
02-02-04, 07:16 AM
Berets serve no useful purpose, why would you want one?

CPLRapoza
02-02-04, 07:17 AM
Dido

kentmitchell
02-02-04, 07:25 AM
Gotcha!!!!!
Just thought we needed a wake-up call.
Funny how that utility cover has evolved from the old Raider cap they issued us at first.
Don't get me wrong. I'm still kicking myself for losing my Raider cover (WWII and Korea types and still being issued in '56 along with the "new" ones).
But everyone knows the Marines have landed when they spot that distinctive utility cover shape. The new camo just adds to the effect.
The bad guys go looking for easier pickings just like the Chinese did in Korea when the saw "Yellowlegs" across no-man's land. They were talking about the canvas leggings only worn by Marines. Everyone else had regular combat boots by then except us.
Also wish I'd kept my boondockers. Damn!!!!!
Even if we didn't have the cover, the attitude would shine through.
Ooooorah! Semper Fi.
Have a great day

USMC-FO
02-02-04, 08:53 AM
Because we are NOT like everyone else!

Because they SUCK !

My 2 cents for what it is worth.....

usmc4669
02-02-04, 08:55 AM
Ooooorah? What ever happen to Semper Fi? Ooooorah is also Army.
Ooooorah or Semper Fi , no damn Berets, Doesn't the Girl Scouts ware them?

Sgt Sostand
02-02-04, 09:31 AM
We dont need it look the Name it say it all (U.S. Marines) People around the world Fear Marines

namgrunt
02-02-04, 09:39 AM
Marines would look silly with little plastic bows sticky-taped to their buzzcut heads. Berets indeed! HarrumpH!!!

On second thought, it would have a disruptive affect on our combat opponents, since they fall to the deck doubled over, laughing themselves to tears.

Super Dave
02-02-04, 11:39 AM
NEVER...NO...NOT GONNA HAPPEN!!

david43844
02-02-04, 02:54 PM
AMEN

Tom Hansen
02-02-04, 03:10 PM
I will stay with the old starched soft cover if the liberials don't mind to much..........

RONPRICE
02-02-04, 04:38 PM
Ain't No Way!!!! Let The Doggies Wear Them !!!!!!!!!!!

Toby M
02-02-04, 05:38 PM
If you want to be like everyone else, join another branch of the military...That's what sets us apart!

LONEEAGLE
02-03-04, 02:21 PM
Who in the hell would want to wear one of the Frenchie sissy things? NOT NO MARINE, IF HE/SHE IS A MARINE. WHO DO WE WRITE TO VOICE OUR OPINION TO IN D.C.?
I WOULDN'T BE CAUGHT DEAD IN ONE OF THEM STUPID THINGS.
BUNCH OF CRAP.

P. M. SHEEHAN
02-03-04, 02:39 PM
First of all, the so-called beret was originally authorized for Army Special Forces, Rangers and Green Berets. It doesn't belong anyplace else including regular Army types. The Army uniform happens to be the ugliest of all in my opinion. Did you ever notice all the "bells and whistles" on some of the Army uniforms. These guys looking like walking pinball machines. The Marine Corps uniform is one and universal. First it readilly identifies one as a Marine. You're either an officer or an NCO and we wear our rank. That's it; no muss no fuss. I've got bad news for you bros. I've recently read (I believe in the Marine Corps Times) that the Army is trying to steal the design of our new cammies and our 8 pointed soft cover. Here we go again with the old NATO s--t where everybody has to be the same. Remember when we had to dith the 45 cal. for the M-9, the M-14 for the AR-16 and the distinctive green utilities. for the original cammies which the Army still wears. One good thing about the old utility uniform is that you had to tuck in your blouse. There was no hiding those few extra pounds. I hope Mike Hagee, current Commandant, "has a pair" to fight this stupid beret thing.

snipowsky
02-03-04, 04:09 PM
WE ARE UNITED STATES MARINES, and we don't need some medals on our uniforms or a beret to make us feel "special", "unique", or even "ELITE" like we already are!

WE ARE THE ULTIMATE SOLDIER! We are United States Marines!
THE BIGGEST BADDEST MOFOS IN ANY VALLEY!

SO TAKE YOUR SISSY BERET AND STICK IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi Brothers and Sisters!

mardet65
02-03-04, 05:06 PM
We don't need no stinking berets! Marine Corps headgear is unique to us as it should be. All change isn't for the good anymore than all motion is forward>:marine:

jdtucker0193
02-03-04, 05:40 PM
There was serious talk at Headquarters Marine Corps during the early 1980s. General PX Kelly wore one while he was in England earlier in his career with the British Royal Marines and was quoted as being fond of them. I remember the discussion going as far as either a Green to match Alphas or Camo to match the new woodland pattern of the time.

The discussion died when "they" said the Barracks cover would be sacrified in its place.

TracGunny
02-03-04, 06:35 PM
Wasn't Gen. Kelly the one who had us go to V-neck white T-shirts, and putting a chevron on our cover? Glad those didn't last long... We would tease the new 2nd Lieutenants that the bar in their covers made it easier for snipers to "triangulate" their shots.

“Raisin-Heads”; that is what comes to mind when I think of berets...

Marine Corps headgear is unique to us as it should be I noticed that the Navy sentries manning the gates at Jax NAS were wearing the "eight-point" Marine covers when I went on base last month. The covers were even starched! I have to admit, they looked considerably more professional in the eight-points and boots & utes , then they would have in a ball-cap...

Sixguns
02-03-04, 07:21 PM
Never gonna happen!

The other services attempt to imitate or duplicate the Corps, not the other way around.

Right after the new digital pattern cammies were introduced, the other services looked to copy them. Again, imitation is a sign of flattery. The Corps has never been in the business of imitating the army or providing them such flattery.

Here's a few other copy-cat moves by the army:

Marines develop the first Humvee recruiting vehicles, then the army launches there own.
Marines launch advertising that speaks about intangible qualities like challenge, pride, honor, courage. Army tries to do the same.
Marines develop "Team Marines" racing program in NASCAR Busch Series, Army follows by going into Nascar (then Winston Cup) Nextel Cup.
Marines develop the 13-man rifle squad... guess what the army did?
Marines pioneered the three block war and who is still trying?
Marines introduce pre-positioning ships and assets... now who wants to buy boats?

WE PAVE THE WAY! I'm sure there are other examples we can all point to. The army can keep the berets! If only the army knew how non-threatening they look!

SF,

Sixguns

rabat
02-03-04, 08:48 PM
A beret is a fighting mans cover and if the Corps brings it into the supply system we will have to fight every other service because we wear it. Want a cover ? Bring back the campaign cover.

namgrunt
02-03-04, 09:28 PM
If Campaign covers come back, it will dampen the image which has struck fear in the hearts of new herds on both coasts. There is no more revered image in a Marine's memory, than the first real Marine NCO sticking his head in the door of the bus, scowling under his signature Smokey Bear, and bellowing "NOW HEAR THIS !!"

Screw the berets, but leave the Campaign cover alone, in it's revered status. ...And, no, I wasn't a Drill Instructor, I was just trained by the best.

Yeah, I know the Army has copied the Campaign cover for their drill cadres. That don't mean nuthin! Their "HATS" don't have the black Eagle, Globe, and fouled Anchor on them. Not the same beast, at all.

tophor
02-03-04, 10:12 PM
Berets are for the army or the french, NOT THE MARINE CORPS!!!

RoboRobinson17
02-03-04, 10:52 PM
If it aint broke, DON"T FIX IT! Besides, if they gave us Berets (no matter the color) they'd have to issue us sunglasses...then how would we tell who went to Hollywood for 3 months of fun in the sand and sun? :banana:

Semper Fi,

Joe

SgtG27
02-04-04, 02:56 PM
The day the Corps adopts a beret is the day I run for the front gate SCREAMING!