PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

ResetRPG
04-30-17, 09:35 PM
Hello, my name is Lawson, I'm 15 years old. I've always considered a career in the military, but I've really been thinking a lot about it. A lot of my family has served in the Navy or Marine Corps, except for my Great Grandparents who served in Army at Normandy. If I do decide to enlist I'd want to serve as: A field medic, an engineer, a mortarman, etc. I would like to know also, what is the difference between the Army and USMC, and whether or not I should be a reservist or combat ready. I also have never fired a gun but I'm hoping to try one day. I'm sort of physically fit, I'm muscular but my stamina relly isn't up to par- (I've been working on it) And what are some of the benefits of being in the Armed forces, Lastly, do you think I should be a Marine? Thanks in advance

Mongoose
05-01-17, 07:24 AM
This is the difference in the Army and the Corps....31472

advanced
05-01-17, 08:33 AM
Well said.

Old Marine
05-03-17, 05:40 PM
Be very careful about your wishes.

oldtop
05-04-17, 09:43 AM
If you don't KNOW, you need not ASK, if you need to ASK, you do not NO

DanM
05-05-17, 07:35 PM
The Navy and Marine Corps doesn't have medics.

MunkyVsRobot
05-20-17, 04:13 PM
you sound like a sugar cookie all soft and sweet, in all reality neither gun club sounds like they'd fit you id suggest you check out the Air Force.

Marine1955
05-20-17, 05:43 PM
Hello, my name is Lawson, I'm 15 years old. I've always considered a career in the military, but I've really been thinking a lot about it. A lot of my family has served in the Navy or Marine Corps, except for my Great Grandparents who served in Army at Normandy. If I do decide to enlist I'd want to serve as: A field medic, an engineer, a mortarman, etc. I would like to know also, what is the difference between the Army and USMC, and whether or not I should be a reservist or combat ready. I also have never fired a gun but I'm hoping to try one day. I'm sort of physically fit, I'm muscular but my stamina relly isn't up to par- (I've been working on it) And what are some of the benefits of being in the Armed forces, Lastly, do you think I should be a Marine? Thanks in advance

Have you even been in the Boy Scouts ?? if not join and get some education under your belt.. First Aid following orders this will help you allot.. But what ever you do be sure to make your own mind up where you want to be at...

doc h fmf
06-01-17, 11:40 PM
Lawson due you excellent endurance, reason why I ask, is because you have to be in excellent shape to be a medic or a corpsman,reason being is after humping maybe 10 miles you company may take a rest but when they rest you have to check on your men in your platoon,so depending on the circumstances you might get to rest or you might not. you usually may hump 25 miles or so. anyway good luck ,I just wanted to tell you what I did as a corpsman, Did 5 years in division with the grunts.You have to be in better shape then the infantry men.

JJMorgan
08-02-17, 03:19 PM
I am new to this sight. I am seeking either understanding or guidance regarding my Marine son who is away to start his MOS. There was a circumstance on base that has created a problem for him and...

Kurt Loadeater
08-02-17, 03:52 PM
Sounds like he is not telling you something. You'd have to be extraordinarily busy to accumulate 3 NJP's. Either way NJP's are used for minor offenses, typically resulting in a max of loss in pay grade or a relatively brief confinement. If he's being separated there is something else going on IMO.

Mongoose
08-02-17, 04:24 PM
Sounds like he is lying to you. The Corps doesn't discharge a boot unless he is really a screw up.

Old Marine
08-03-17, 09:12 AM
Send a PM to USMC 2571. He was a Legal Beagle in the Air Force and could maybe help you.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 07:48 PM
JJMorgan, hello and welcome to this site. It is not unheard of to get three Article 15s, (Non-Judicial Punishment)---but it is grounds for discharge. Even with NO Art 15 he could be discharged, and...

Kurt Loadeater
08-03-17, 07:53 PM
Maybe I've lost my mind, but I'm pretty sure I remember loss of pay grade and confinement quarters) being part of the possible punishments accompanying NJP.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:06 PM
Not for NJP. Maybe they said it could LEAD to that, because on an Art 15 there are two boxes, one of which you have to check. One says that you accept it, the other says I Demand Trial By Court-Martial......so that might be the confusion, someone may have said, hey, don't accept it? you might get confinement and loss of pay grade (i.e. two options of any special or general court-martial.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:07 PM
If you mean "restriction" when you say "confinement", THAT would be an option, such as restriction to the barracks etc. Maybe that's what you're thinking of, Mike.

Kurt Loadeater
08-03-17, 08:09 PM
If I'm interpreting this correctly, then it looks like confinement and reduction are NJP punishements (http://www.newriver.marines.mil/Portals/17/Documents/NJP%20Punishment%20Chart.pdf)

^this sentence was a link to a PDF

Well confinement was a poor choice of words, I was thinking barracks restriction.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:13 PM
But you're right, also. There is a 7 day period of brig time possible. When I hear "confinement" I think of confinement at hard labor, but there is in fact a provision for short confinement, as you said. The words are different, and one is given by a court martial and one can be given by Art 15 means. Reduction in pay grade may have changed, but it was not an option under Art 15 when I was in. That may have changed. A lot can change over time. But basically, JJMorgan's son would have had to do a lot in order to get THREE Art 15s within such a short time.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:14 PM
And there is no doubt that his commander has grounds for discharge right now.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:15 PM
I did 20 courts-martial (special and general) and 32 administrative discharge boards, and have advised commanders from 2Lt on up to Maj General, but have never heard of anyone receiving THREE Article...

Kurt Loadeater
08-03-17, 08:17 PM
Yeah I don't remember them necessarily being quick things either, in the sense you can have a bad weekend on oops three NJP's. But who knows what kind of strange things boots can pull? Maybe he's not in any trouble at all and is just lining up his story so he can go UA and come home without his parents being any wiser.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:19 PM
Very very true. Hard to figure things out without more info.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking that three NJPs in a row like that-----a more normal course of action would be for a CO to just request a Special CM----and also, normally, depending on the misconduct, counseling is first, then other steps, then NJP, but if the offense(s) are more serious, then a NJP right away, first thing. But all this is up in the air til we learn more.

USMC 2571
08-03-17, 08:26 PM
Anyway, all speculation aside, JJMorgan, as I mentioned, please advise your son to immediately consult with defense counsel on base.

That should be his very first step, and as I also mentioned, NOT the regular JAG office.

Any delay at all is not good.

Old Marine
08-05-17, 08:39 AM
Dave: I am beginning to wonder about JJMorgan. Comes on here with her OP and you try to help her and she becomes invisible. I'm sure you could have found better things to do. What ever happened to Office Hours in the Military?

USMC 2571
08-05-17, 10:58 AM
Willie, all the JAGs in my office, which was a big office as it was Sheppard AFB, Texas, a big technical training center, schools etc, one of four or five big tech training bases-----we used to take turns doing Legal Assistance, maybe twice a week from 1pm to 4pm by appointment, active duty military members, dependents, retirees. It was interesting. We could always steer them in the right direction besides actually doing wills for them.---Sometimes a matter would be supposedly very important and even urgent, but alas, you would get no followup from the people seeing legal assistance-----But especially in Ask A Marine, as you know, we'll have someone come on there with some urgent question, gotta know gotta know gotta know quick---and lo and behold? Never heard from them again. :) Some kind of urgent.

Mongoose
08-05-17, 04:05 PM
Dave.....I need a little legal advice here. Yesterday, I bought some apples from a big chain grocery store. I eat 2 of them before bed time. This morning my stomach felt like a war zone......I have been in and out of the head at least twenty times already. My question is.......Is the store liable for all the toilet paper I am using??....If so, can I also receive compensation for all the air freshener I have used???? ( Signed......feeling shetty in Texas )

USMC 2571
08-05-17, 10:03 PM
Well, Billy, first of all, you're not gay, second, you have no racial grounds, you're not transgender. Therefore you have no cause of action. BUT, like many plaintiffs, all you have to do is FILE a lawsuit and they will settle with you, running like scared rabbits through the woods. They won't stand up for what's right, so you will get cash for the toilet paper as well as the air freshener, and oh, I'd venture to say, a few thousand bucks for your trouble, 99% of which will go to me, and I will disburse remaining funds to you, bro, how does that sound?

Old Marine
08-06-17, 08:39 AM
I am guessing NJP took the place of Office Hours. Same Animal just another name.

USMC 2571
08-06-17, 08:41 AM
Yes, Willie----4 names for the same thing. Article 15 (of the UCMJ), Non Judicial Punishment, Office Hours, Captain's Mast.

USMC 2571
08-06-17, 12:33 PM
What are we laughing about bugs?

Kurt Loadeater
08-06-17, 01:16 PM
Her son is coming home alive at least.