PDA

View Full Version : Saluting question

Drakserb1
04-28-17, 09:33 PM
I am a marine vet, my daughter is getting commissioned as a 2nd Lt in the army tommorrow. She has asked me to give her the honor of her first salute. I told her I would need to be covered in order to do that. Of course she said the army doesn't require that. I remember that we as marines do.
I will not be in uniform though as they don't fit. Is it ok to wear my old **** cutter or cammie cover out of uniform and not under arms to salute her?

SGT7477
04-29-17, 06:49 AM
In my time that would be considered out of uniform, Semper Fidelis.

Deduke
04-29-17, 07:00 AM
What would Chesty do? IMHO, salute your daughter no matter what you have on. If someone gives you crap, cordially invite them to go fvck themselves.

irpat54
04-29-17, 08:28 AM
a few years ago, new orders came down and it was approved for all former Military to be able to salute out of uniform, with any cover or no cover of your choice.

irpat54
04-29-17, 08:31 AM
also, forgive my rudeness, but a great big congratulations to your Daughter, this is no small achievement. we all honer this of her, and you should be very, very proud..

Old Marine
04-29-17, 08:51 AM
Fully agree with posts 3,4, & 5.

Tennessee Top
04-29-17, 09:13 AM
Don't know about the Army. But in the USMC, it's also customary for the first person to give the salute to present a silver dollar to the newly minted officer. Or, does the new officer present the silver dollar to the saluter (can't remember)? I know a silver dollar is involved somehow.

Congratulations to your daughter and much success to her! Rah!!

FoxtrotOscar
04-29-17, 10:37 AM
According to tradition the Newly "Minted" Officer will hand the Silver Dollar to the First Enlisted they salute....!!!

I also concur with Old Marine... #3, 4 & 5...

SF and congratulations to your daughter...

fl1946
04-29-17, 01:09 PM
Congratulations Poppa. Your daughter has chosen a path which we who have gone before the flag are justly proud of her decision. Thank you.

SGT7477
04-29-17, 04:42 PM
Looks like the new Marine Corps is getting soft with the new rules,lmfao, Semper Fidelis.

FoxtrotOscar
04-29-17, 07:49 PM
Some clarification on salutes...

A provision of the 2009 Defense Authorization Act changed federal law to allow U.S. veterans (https://www.thebalance.com/do-you-qualify-for-veteran-s-benefits-3345150) and military personnel not in uniform to render the military hand-salute when the national anthem is played.

This change adds to a provision which was passed in the 2008 Defense Bill, which authorized veterans and military personnel in civilian clothes to render the military salute during the raising, lowering or passing of the flag.

Traditionally, veterans’ service organizations rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag while wearing their organization’s headgear, although this wasn't actually spelled out in federal law.

As for saluting someone while not in Uniform, there are no specific laws other then each service's protocol's.. Army, Navy, Marines and Air Force... No where doe's it state that a former member of any specific service "Cannot" render a salute to a superior Officer, it is after all nothing more then a silent method of acknowledging respect for rank...

Marines are all about adapting and overcoming obstacles, thus, I see nothing "Soft" about it at all..

SF

SGT7477
04-29-17, 08:51 PM
I will keep it the way I was taught, it is soft and I'm sticking to it, Semper Fidelis.

borderbill
04-30-17, 05:26 PM
Congratulations to the new Lieutenant--and her Marine Dad. She rates your salute- please wear a cover. She also will rate a silver dollar

FoxtrotOscar
04-30-17, 07:59 PM
Congratulations to the new Lieutenant--and her Marine Dad. She rates your salute- please wear a cover. She also will rate a silver dollar

"She also will rate a Silver Dollar"...???

Is there something I'm missing here..??

doc h fmf
04-30-17, 08:05 PM
My Platoon SGT worked at quanico and he showed me all his silver dollars that he got from his graduating students,who he saluted first. It was a tradition he told me.

MunkyVsRobot
05-20-17, 04:10 PM
heres my question, who cares? Money says there will be 0 people who would care if you were the first salute that your daughter received/returned. Whether you were wearing a cover or not. Just do it.

silverdollar
05-21-17, 05:57 AM
Go ahead and salute her.if she chews your ass out you will know that you were wrong,

Marine1955
05-22-17, 02:18 PM
where does she graduate from ?? Quantico or ???