PDA

View Full Version : The Drifter to be operated on tomorrow.

Sparrowhawk
02-01-04, 12:12 PM
As many of you know, Roger, The Drifter, Top Moderator on this site had been scheduled for an operation to remove a mass on his right kidney.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11291&highlight=hospital

Well tomorrow is that day.

Last Thursday Roger woke up not feeling well,...Ellie his wife, took him to the emergency room which he remains in the VA hospital in ICU.....

Roger lost a lot of blood....vital signs were not stable...He is doing ok for now.....they had to give him 4 units of blood......and he was doing better Friday morning.....

He remains in ICU...till after the operation on scheduled for tomorrow, Monday....

Drop him a note, as I know he would appreciate knowing how Marines care for him. I am sure Ellie will pass on the messages.

She promises to keep us posted on his condition.....

thedrifter
02-02-04, 11:00 AM
Update on Roger...

I first want to Thank Everyone for all their Well Wishes....
When Myself and Our Children saw Roger yesterday....I passed on....your messeges...which were Well Appreciated.....

Roger's hemoglobin was still not at the count they wanted....so he was given another 2 units of blood....His vital signs were good...and He was in good spirits yesterday....The best I have seen in weeks......

Roger was taken down to surgery Left Kidney removal and ureter(tube)) early this morning...I'm still up in the air if they are going to work on his anerysm which is located by the kidney...In ways I hope they do....if not they will have to go back and work on it in again in 6 months.....He was still in good spirits this morning....Roger's surgery is appox....6 hours....without problems.....So I will not know anything till late afternoon....my time EST.....
As soon as I know I will let you all know...before I head down to go see him.....Like he is going to know I'm there....LOL...

Thank You All.....

Ellie and Roger's 4 Brats.....

thedrifter
02-02-04, 02:23 PM
Update.....

Roger is out of surgery....He is still in the recovery room....which he will be for the next hour to 1 1/2.....

His Doctor was pleased that the kidney and tube....came out just fine.....Could not work on his anerysm....because Roger was having breathing problems.....and did not want to push to much....

He is doing well...I was told..Vital signs are good except for the breathing...but they are working on that...Now since we have the cancer source out of the way....Next step is chemo to work with the cancer that was spread by the kidney.......

Will be going down to see Roger in the next few hours.....and Yes Jerry I will make sure I say Semper Fi....from you.....

Thank You All.....

You have all help keep Myself and Our Children Strong.......

Ellie and the 4 Brats

yellowwing
02-02-04, 02:35 PM
Our prayers are with you! Semper Fi

namgrunt
02-02-04, 02:58 PM
Wearing a hole in my carpetting praying for thedrifter. Get well and stay sharp. We need your wisdom here.

Sparrowhawk
02-02-04, 03:12 PM
Thanks Ellie, been thinking of him all day.

He musta been praying also, because yesterday when the church prayed for him, this time God didn't say, "Roger who?"

LOL

Sempers

Cook

marinemom
02-02-04, 03:39 PM
Glad to hear Roger is doing well - even gladder that you and the brats are OK.

Remember, I am only an hour and a half away if you need help.

vfm
02-02-04, 05:05 PM
my prayers and thoughts are with Roger you and your family.
Semper Fi to Roger
VFM

GySgtRet
02-02-04, 05:13 PM
Hang in there Roger and family. All are praying for you brother.

Semper Fidelis

Osotogary
02-02-04, 05:27 PM
Take care of yourselves...the best that you can. My prayers and well wishes are heading your way.
Gary(osotogary)

vision836
02-02-04, 05:54 PM
Get well soon Drifter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Reading all your post have become a regular part of my routine since finding this website. I really enjoy it. Semper Fi .

Devildogg4ever
02-02-04, 07:38 PM
Drifter, my prayers are always with you and your family!
Stay strong, and keep a stiff upper lip!

Semper Fi!!

TMM54
02-02-04, 07:43 PM
My prayers to you Roger and to your family. Semper Fidelis,
Tom Murray

FREEBIRD
02-02-04, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the update Ellie, Keep up the good work for our brother!!!
Tell him I said hurry and get well, I'll buy the first round in DC.
Call me if theres anthing I can do to cheer the old fart up!!
(804) 640-1333 my cell number
Tell him we all are praying for him, Hope to see you and him soon!!
Mike
FREEBIRD

garryh123
02-02-04, 09:23 PM
Good luck Drifter........3 surgeries later and I'm ok...keep the faith and you will be just fine.

prmama
02-03-04, 06:05 AM
Roger and Ellie. My prayers are with you both and your family.

May the Lord watch over you in the time of need. Keep the faith and everything will be ok.

Love ya Both

Monica
02-03-04, 10:48 AM
Adding another prayer!

LONEEAGLE
02-03-04, 02:17 PM
Hey Drifter, my prayer's are goin' out to ya...Git yersef better, and all of us who care for you and your family, are with you all the way. We'll never leave a Marine behind....and you're not behind, you're strong, determined, and I just know things will okay....
Ellie? If there's anything I can do to help you, and my friend, just let me know OKAY? Big Eagle. P.S. GET WELL SOON DRIFTER, SO YOU CAN COME BACK AND GET ME STRAIGHT ON THREADS, OKAY? Semper Fi.

Robert Carnot
02-03-04, 05:00 PM
Roger and Ellie, my thoughts and prayers are with you.----Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni.

Bob

Gary
02-03-04, 05:03 PM
thank you for the update Ellie, it's good to know my buddies is doing good, I'll keepyou and Roger and your wholw family in my prayers and in my heart.

snipowsky
02-03-04, 05:04 PM
Hope you get well soon brother! Semper Fi!

Best wishes to you and your family,

Michael Bogle

leroy8541
02-03-04, 05:35 PM
Get well soon Devil Dog!!

Our prayers are with you Bro.

Warren Family

TracGunny
02-03-04, 06:50 PM
prayers... and more prayers...

thedrifter
02-03-04, 10:41 PM
I'm back.....I was kidnaped by Roger last night when I went to go visit him..He didn't want me leave.....LOL...I'm just a little tired with no sleep for the last few days....but I just wanted to update you on his condition.......

There were a few complications last night.....but all his well now.....Roger was in severe pain last night which caused his heart rate and blood pressure...to go sky high....With all they were given him...nothing was working.....Hell he is a Marine....You were taught to be tough......Early this morning they final had the pain factor under control...Which....now Roger is resting comfortable....just high as a kite........LOL....If everything goes well Roger will be back at his post by the weekend......
Thanks All.....

Ellie

JAMarine...got your message will try to call tomorrow

yellowwing
02-03-04, 10:54 PM
That's great to hear! You make sure you get your rest and relaxation too. We're big boys and girls, Shaffer can keep a lid on things if need be. Semper Fi Ellie :marine:

lurchenstein
02-04-04, 09:30 AM
Happy to know Roger is recovering & has Family with him. Continued prayers for each of you!

Lock-n-Load
02-04-04, 10:02 AM
:marine: Thx Ellie for the good news...Roger remains at his duty station [here]....compared to other Moderators on other Marine websites....Roger posts intrepid/subject matter to be pondered and open for discussion; plus,he always treats every opinion with ...respect...what a weekend....Roger is OK and the New England Patriots are ...SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS....[AGAIN]!!:marine:

Sparrowhawk
02-04-04, 12:42 PM
We know when he's feeling good, when you have made him happy. LOL

I mean, I mean, AHahhhh happy, by you being there at his side. ;)

Semper fi

Cook

GySgtRet
02-04-04, 02:28 PM
Sparrowhawk ... good slip...!!!!

Ellie and Drifter. We all went through this a couple of months ago together this is the last time Drifter you stay healthy noow ya hear me...!!!

Semper Fidelis

thedrifter
02-04-04, 02:45 PM
GySgtRet we would hope so.....but we know it is not.....
Thanks.....

How Roger is putting it....Vietnam is kicking him in the butt again.....and he isn't saying it that way.....:D

Cook.....You can always lift up my spirits....LMAO......

Ellie

usmc4669
02-04-04, 03:19 PM
Drifter even thou I have never met you, it seems I've known you all my life.
Could it be from all the reports on you, pasted by Ellie you loving wife.
Now you have to rise up and take command, after all Drifter you're the leader of this band.

Wishing you a speedy recovery, my prayers are with you.
usmc4669
Gunny Bush

mrbsox
02-04-04, 06:39 PM
Ellie, Roger, Kids,

Thoughts and prayers are still an everyday process, even if I haven't called.

Just remember, your on the receiving end of 'Friendly Fire', and friendly fire is ALWAYS accurate.

May the Lord Almightys healing hand continue to cradle my brother, and his over flowing love and peace comfort all those that worry about him. May his guidance continue to lead the hands that work on his body, while our friend, father, husband, feels the serenity that only a benevolent and mercifull father can bestow.

With all that I am, I ask in the sons name,

Amen.

Sixguns
02-04-04, 07:35 PM
Good news. Best wishes on a full and speedy recovery.

Sixguns

Osotogary
02-04-04, 08:15 PM
Take care and may God Bless.

rsta
02-04-04, 08:58 PM
Hey, Drifter, take care and hope you'll be back home real soon. We're all thinking of you and Miss Ellie. We miss you around here.

Bob

thedrifter
02-06-04, 07:32 AM
A little setback for Roger.....He won't be coming out of the hospital to at least Tuesday.....which I was just told.....He is in good spirits, less pain,...just disappointed.....You see our 26th anniversary is on Sunday....First time we can't do something together.....and hospital food doesn't cut it.....LOL.....

I'm leaving Roger's phone #....if anyone wants to call.....215-895-4238....

Ellie

Sparrowhawk
02-06-04, 01:34 PM
Spoke to Roger on the phone this morning, he sounded strong, but could tell drugs got him short of breath.

It was good to talk to him and he appreciated the call.

Looking forward to having him home and back on line.

SF
Cook

Super Dave
02-06-04, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the update, I will look here for the updates, I don't want to call and disturb him.

Semper Fi

Sparrowhawk
02-06-04, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Super Dave
Thanks for the update, I will look here for the updates, I don't want to call and disturb him.

Semper Fi

HECK, I called him collect.

LOL

Super Dave
02-06-04, 02:41 PM
maybe i'll wait till I get home at 2:00 am after the bars close to call...then it'd be real late and i'd be real drunk...i know he appreciate it...