PDA

View Full Version : Marine faces Jail over legally owned firearm..

FoxtrotOscar
04-14-17, 12:43 PM
A former United States Marine who traveled to New Jersey with a gun he legally owned — but which was not registered in New Jersey — is facing three years in prison for firearm law violations. <br />
<br />

silveradomick
04-14-17, 01:45 PM
While I 100% agree with national reciprocity for concealed carry, in this particular case I'd like to see the criminal complaint. Sounds like the Sgt did a little more than bring the gun into Jersey, he went and retrieved it from his car during a fight and had it on him when police arrived. That tells me there's something more to the story here.

Zulu 36
04-14-17, 04:44 PM
I agree there is more to this story.

irpat54
04-14-17, 09:55 PM
While I 100% agree with national reciprocity for concealed carry, in this particular case I'd like to see the criminal complaint. Sounds like the Sgt did a little more than bring the gun into Jersey, he went and retrieved it from his car during a fight and had it on him when police arrived. That tells me there's something more to the story here.

the Sgt. Pompey did not go and get the handgun, His friend went and got it, and confronted the police with it, Pompey was arrested for owning the gun in jersey for it not being registered.

silveradomick
04-14-17, 11:01 PM
I went back and re-read the article and I did misunderstand what was written. You're right it does appear that his friend was in a fight and retrieved it, not him. I'm still thinking there's more too this, but if all Pompey did was take a gun into Jersey that wasn't registered in Jersey, then I'm guilty of the same crime.

advanced
04-15-17, 07:54 AM
What BS, glad I'm in Florida a truly American gun toting state.

Old Marine
04-15-17, 07:34 PM
Gov. Christie turned this Marine loose today. He won't be locked up for 10 years.

irpat54
04-16-17, 10:29 AM
good news, OM gldad to hear it

MunkyVsRobot
04-16-17, 11:36 AM
Saw this posted on Facebook and this was my response..

"It is good that he got his sentence commuted, but it is bad on him not knowing the firearms laws in the state he was in. It is on the firearm owner to know the laws of the state he starts in, finishes in, and all the states he passes through. Bringing my firearms from my duty station back home I made sure I researched the firearms laws for every state i would pass through on my trip."

Sure I would love national reciprocity but states still have the rights to govern themselves for the most part as they see fit.

Some people are jumping on saying this should not have happened to someone who fought for this country and what not, I could only agree to a certain extent because you serve in the military doesn't mean laws no longer apply to you so it was his fault that he A brought the firearm into a state unknowing of their firearms (negligence is no excuse for breaking the law) and B brought said firearm to or around a night club.

Im glad for his sake that he isn't going to be in jail for the next 10 years but he definitely made many poor judgement calls leading up to this.

Hell I'm about to PCS here to Pendleton and I brought all my firearms back to NH just so I don't have to deal with California's crazy gun laws (also because CA is a state where I have to register my firearms, I don't need that drama in my life) if I own a gun in California I am going to buy it there and get rid of it there. But it is still on me as the owner of the firearm to know the laws as I stated in my Facebook response.

MunkyVsRobot
04-16-17, 11:41 AM
Also not that this is the first time this has ever happened nor will it be the last.. <br />
<br />
Anyone remember this case? <br />

irpat54
04-16-17, 05:13 PM
I know that in my CCW classes they had stressed and stressed a lot that it is up to you to know what the laws are in each state that you go through or go to..

m14ed
04-17-17, 04:47 AM
https://townhall.com/news/politics-elections/2017/04/14/christie-commutes-sentence-of-marine-convicted-on-gun-charge-n2313686 <br />
<br />
good read <br />
<br />
Pompey was visiting friends in 2011 in New Jersey from...

Marine1955
04-17-17, 01:30 PM
What ever happened to the other Marine who was arrested in New York,New York ????

Anyone ever hear what happened to him. He had the same thing as this Marine also...