PDA

View Full Version : One of New York's finest Always Faithful

thedrifter
02-01-04, 07:36 AM
One of New York's finest Always Faithful
Submitted by: New York Public Affairs
Story Identification Number: 2004130123412
Story by Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

NEW YORK(January 30, 2004) -- Mottos "Semper Fidelis" and "Fidelis ad Mortem" both boast of faithfulness to a particular profession and lifestyle. However, for one New York City cop, there are more similarities between the Marine Corps and New York Police Department than just a motto. And, it's what the two forces have in common that drew him to both.

Police Officer Kevin Davis has worked at Manhattan's NYPD 17th Precinct for almost five years. "Fidelis ad Mortem," or "Faithful Unto Death," is the police department's motto. The last time Davis used a motto was 1985, when he learned "Semper Fidelis," or "Always Faithful," was the Marine Corps motto. "I always look back on my time spent in the Corps," said the Suffolk County native. "Some of the best times of my life were in the Corps."

Davis served on active duty in the infantry from 1985 until 1989, and he said he misses the brotherhood of the Corps. "There was such a feeling of camaraderie," said 37-year-old Davis. "You know, with the hardships of training, and being out there with the same people working with you, you get close to them."

Though it's been more than ten years since Davis has seen most of his infantry buddies, he still stays in touch. "I have one friend who I haven't seen since '89, but we still call each other on the phone and keep in touch," he said, and his dark eyes lit up as he remembered his old friend Froisy. Froisy is now Master Sgt. Karl Froisy, who is still on active duty at Camp Pendleton.

Like many others, an 18-year-old Kevin Davis joined the Corps immediately after high school. He and his friends used to talk about which service would be the best one to join, and they thought he was crazy for picking the Marines. "We thought the Marines was the hardest branch to join."

"They said I'd never make it," he said. But the older, more experienced Police Officer realizes how those friends motivated him. "They said I'd never make it, and that was one of the reasons I made sure I did."

In the same way the Corps has a reputation, NYPD is commonly referred to as "New York's finest." Growing up in New York, Davis was very aware of that reputation. He always wanted to be a police officer, but it was his experience in the Corps that drove him to apply at NYPD. "I felt like I needed the adventure and excitement I always had in the Marine Corps," he said. "NYPD also has that, along with public service."

Davis is not the only the only Marine who traded in cammies for the NYPD blues. "My Marine Corps recruiter is actually now in the NYPD also," he said. Former Marine Sgt. John Durkin, who recruited Davis in 1985, is now a Captain with the police department's Emergency Service Unit (ESU).

Davis remains faithful to the Corps and Marines he met before, during, and after his years in the Corps. Values he learned during his years as a grunt are now part of daily life in the police department. "Things that they teach you at boot camp, and Corps Values...they're very similar to NYPD values," he said. The stocky, square-shouldered police officer even uses his green "Alice pack" to carry his gear to and from work at the police precinct. And on less than perfect days, he looks to the Corps for motivation.

"When things get hard, I always look back," said Davis. "I think, if I can make it through the Marine Corps, I can make it through anything."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/1D3E7E18F1A3C7FC85256E2B0060840A?opendocument

Sempers,

Roger
:marine: