PDA

View Full Version : Marines

irpat54
03-31-17, 11:27 AM

I hope that not to many feathers get ruffled here, but, (nice when the word "but" gets interjected because you know you're going to do it anyway)

after chatting here and other places with civilians and members of other branches of the service it struck me as to how little these people seem to understand about Military people, and understand even less about Marines. Like the person that thought I was "triggered" because I told l him that "FYI always Capitalize Marine" it was clear that he did not understand why.

I was told then that I like to bring attention to myself by taking advantage of "free food and thing for vets on veterans day"

these people can't distinguish the difference between pride and respect, and the difference of attention getting for selfish purposes, and it still amazes me.

Probably the only persons who came the closest to understanding was Ronald Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt and, of all people the Chinese who gave us the term Gung Ho, (translates to "works together" ruffly) .

It does get frustrating to me that these people are so narrow in thinking, civilian or Army, Navy and Air Force (Corpsman understand they are included with us Marines) ..

but when someone from another branch of service calls us "arrogant" or "attention seekers" that shows me that they, are not even close to what and who we are and they no clue as to what we went through to earn the title of Marine, yes it is with great pride that I call myself Marine!!! and, it is with great pride to talk to and associate with others who earned that title as well, it is a brotherhood that transcends color, race and creed..

as far as the people who call us arrogant, I doubt they would make it out of boot..

IMO if you aren't Marine, you aren't sh**t

rant over.

advanced
03-31-17, 01:12 PM
About 15 years ago I was on the "Run to the Wall" headed for DC. At a gas stop this guy with army patches on comes over to me and says "Welcome home soldier." I simply said what any Marine would say and I told him that I was not a soldier, I was a Marine.

Well, this joker explodes and and starts badmouthing Marines saying how he was trying to be nice and that we Marines have a chip on and such. So, I simply said what any Marine would say and I told him to go "F" himself. He also understood what di di mow MF'er means as well.

I don't think Marines are arrogant, I believe when a person knows themselves and isn't afraid of much they have a calm, self assured presence. They call it arrogant, we call it Marine.

irpat54
03-31-17, 02:10 PM
About 15 years ago I was on the "Run to the Wall" headed for DC. At a gas stop this guy with army patches on comes over to me and says "Welcome home soldier." I simply said what any Marine would say and I told him that I was not a soldier, I was a Marine.

Well, this joker explodes and and starts badmouthing Marines saying how he was trying to be nice and that we Marines have a chip on and such. So, I simply said what any Marine would say and I told him to go "F" himself. He also understood what di di mow MF'er means as well.

I don't think Marines are arrogant, I believe when a person knows themselves and isn't afraid of much they have a calm, self assured presence. They call it arrogant, we call it Marine.

spot on,,

Tennessee Top
03-31-17, 09:14 PM
It's hard to be humble when you're the best (and know it).

FoxtrotOscar
03-31-17, 11:12 PM
That's why Marines are Marines...

It's how we were and are taught...

Mongoose
04-01-17, 06:46 AM
One of the greatest words to describe us came from by my biological brother. He served with the Army's 11th armored Cav. in Nam. after Nam he was home on leave, and I told him I was going to join the Corps. He looked at me real hard and said......Billy.....what ever else you do, don't join the Marines....them Mutha Fvckers are crazy as Hell!!!!

USMC 2571
04-01-17, 07:10 AM
I don't think Marines are arrogant in the least. Pride is instilled in boot camp, and that cannot be said for any of the other services, at least not to the high degree that it was done at PI and SD. When was the last time we heard of boot camps/basic training in other services having classes and tests on the history of their branch of the service? Everyone knows the Marine Corps is the most "military", the most demanding, the most elite, of all the services (this is why I JOINED in the first place), and I guess that bothers them. I think they kind of wish they had joined the USMC, but they did not, and they realize that their particular service does not measure up to USMC standards, and they take it out on us.

Hammer
04-01-17, 07:56 AM
Well like it or not; Marines are arrogant; Marines are cocky; Marines are the elite of the military; Marines are the best that America has to offer; Marines are the first to answer the war bell; Marines are what America looks to, to protect their freedom.

Anyone can be a member of the Army; Air force; or the Navy; but the Marine Corps is selective; and only the best can be a Marine! Yep! I'm arrogant! I deserve to be!

SGT7477
04-01-17, 08:50 AM
We not only look good but we'll kick your ass too, the other branches have always been jealous of us, I have a friend from my hometown that says he has dreams of being a Marine but he wakes up and is only a soldier, yup he is your typical army veteran, lol, MARINE PRIDE FOREVER, Semper Fidelis.

advanced
04-01-17, 02:24 PM
As commander of my local Combat Vets Motorcycle group around here with 70+ members almost half now are Marines. I wonder how that happened?

I have noticed though that over the years when some army guys are telling everyone of there heroic exploits they seem to get real quiet whenever my Marines walk in.

One army friend of mine always tells me that he'd give anything to have been a Marine, and he was a Lt Cornel. He's told me that the army has nothing compared to how we respond to each other, even when an old WWII or Korean Marine can be greeted by a much younger Marine and it's as though they've know each other for ever. I simply respond with "I can't explain that, We all can't be Marines."

Kegler300
04-01-17, 02:33 PM
It is hard to be humble when you're the finest ... narrow is the gate that leads to becoming a Marine, and there are very few that enter through it.

irpat54
04-01-17, 06:29 PM

doc h fmf
04-02-17, 06:40 AM
Yeah I put up with the arrogance and so forth but know what you are the damn best men around I love my brothers,and enjoyed having the honor and privilege of being a doc to the best branch in the US service. Semper Fi and Godbless you all

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3/FMF

Riven37
04-02-17, 07:55 AM
Tell Walmart to stop selling USMC T-Shirts in their stores too many teens are buying them they did not earn this right to ware that T-Shirt. This includes Marine ball caps too. I even see teens wearing purple hearts, BS etc.. all because they look cool this ****es me off including seeing purple hearts being sold at flee markets.

I could care less what Army dogs, Navy, Air Force, right down the line say about the Marine it tells me they are jealous of Marines because we have the best uniforms. I know a lot about Army because I had 3 siblings in the Army and 1 in the Navy and I in the Corps.

Yesterday a Women walked right into me pushing me out of the way and a guy called me an a$$ hole after I called her a B*t*h I do wear my Vietnam Vet ball cap those 2 people just could not read, I held back but I wanted to kill them both good thing I have no weapons. Earlier that morning someone bought paid for my breakfast I guess I was given both good and bad Karma yesterday.

I try to remind myself no one cares I'm old, on my way out and I could care less about giving us things like a national day, parades, I rather have someone to talk to in my late years of my life.

I treat every Veteran the same respect, honor until I see something that alerts me to a faker then I'll shake my head and walk away. I walk way for my own protection not theirs. life is short lets not focus on those things we cannot control and people we cannot change.

Semper Fi Marines have a good day.

Tennessee Top
04-02-17, 11:50 AM
Speaking about learning our history, traditions, and customs.

When I was assigned to the USCENTOM J2 Directorate (joint command), I had soldiers and airmen working for me (no sailors nor Marines). One day I asked an Army Sgt what the little cap sitting on top of a pike in the Army symbol meant - he had no clue and said he wondered the same thing! How in the hell can they have pride in their history when they're never taught it?

irpat54
04-02-17, 12:03 PM
that's a great point, Top, I have wondered that myself.

advanced
04-02-17, 02:31 PM
In the spirit of this thread I certainly know what the EGA symbolizes;

The army gave us the eagle
The navy gave us the anchor
and we TOOK the World

No arrogance, just pure Marine

SGT7477
04-02-17, 04:00 PM
Speaking about learning our history, traditions, and customs.

When I was assigned to the USCENTOM J2 Directorate (joint command), I had soldiers and airmen working for me (no sailors nor Marines). One day I asked an Army Sgt what the little cap sitting on top of a pike in the Army symbol meant - he had no clue and said he wondered the same thing! How in the hell can they have pride in their history when they're never taught it?

Top they have no history, I will never forget my platoon commander in boot camp SSgt Case talking of the army uniform he said when they wear their dress greens they look like walking Christmas trees with all the trinkets they wear,lmao, Never Forget, Semper Fidelis.

advanced
04-03-17, 08:35 AM
Back in the day if you all remember, a lot of the army guys used to wear their ties tucked into their shirts. My DI's told us that that's because they have surrendered the flag in battle. Each of us was told to never bring that shame upon the Marine Corps.