PDA

View Full Version : Holsters

Apache
01-31-17, 09:55 AM
CONSIDERING Yauqi OWB holster
Minimal leather, reduced print ?
Have concerns with retention perhaps exposure to dust etc.

Normal activities no running or jumping

Experience ?

advanced
01-31-17, 12:12 PM
I carry a weapon on my belt with a T-shirt over it when riding down here in hot sweaty FL during the summer, actually I carry all year. I would advise a holster with a slide guard (on autos) or hammer (http://www.brownells.com/search/index.htm?k=hammer) guard (on revolvers). It protects the weapon from rubbing into your side from the safety or hammer. I have a couple of holster like you described but because they are so uncomfortable next to bare skin I never use them. FL is a concealed carry state. I also have an inside the waist band holster but it's really uncomfortable. Do some more research. I hope this helps.

Apache
01-31-17, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the feedback
Hadn't considered the revolver hammer as an issue.

Ohio is open carry --but-- typically I conceal
Ruger GP 100 4 " (sizable)

silveradomick
01-31-17, 01:28 PM
Yeah man you're gonna want something more substantial. I carry concealed any time I leave the house. It's definitely beneficial to have a piece of leather or Kyocera between the gun and your skin.

USMC 2571
01-31-17, 01:48 PM
That GP 100 IS sizeable, especially for any kind of concealed carry. You might want to take a look at a Ruger SP 101 .357. I carry it in a pocket holster, no strap, it's open, and the hammer fits inside the holster also------- it just fits right in your pants pocket, no bulge, no problem. In the other pants pocket I have a pouch that snaps open and shut, holding 10 extra hollow point rounds.
Take a look at the Ruger SP 101 and see what you think of it as an option, or alternative to the big GP 100.

USMC 2571
01-31-17, 01:52 PM
The only thing I ever saw for EASY concealed carry of a GP 100 is a kind of pouch that slides onto your belt, so it is not a holster at all, but a zippered pouch. Still concealed, but kind of cumbersome. I have a smaller one for the SP 101 but still prefer the simple, open pocket holster.

Apache
01-31-17, 02:15 PM
Thanks for feedback
I feel comfortable with the GP anytime I leave the quarters
Have had reasonable concealment with a shoulder holster and jacket (sport coat)

Feel confident I will achieve reasonable conceal on the belt somehow

Key word is reasonable level will google kyocera thks

silveradomick
01-31-17, 02:31 PM
Oh man I'm sorry. I'm on my phone and it autocorrected "kydex" to "Kyocera". My fault.

Apache
01-31-17, 03:27 PM
Roger that
No sweat---

crazymjb
01-31-17, 03:57 PM
I'd ditch the GP100 and grab a G19 and a Comp-tac Minotaur or similar holster.

Mike

Big Boz
01-31-17, 08:52 PM
I press my own out of Kydex. Here is my PPS. I have been toying with the idea of pressing one for my GP100 6" to carry it while hunting. The good thing about pressing my own is that I can custom fit it to my body. The black one below sits very snug with very little movement, and very solid retention.

advanced
02-01-17, 07:38 AM
When I was a cop during cooler months with a jacket I used to use an upside down shoulder with elastic retention. Just pull down on the handle and the revolver comes right out, real cool. Really no print at all, a shoulder holster does take some getting used to though.

I favor the 101 also, even with just 5 shots remember it's not the noise you make but the placement of the shots. A 2-4 inch barrel is very effective at close range and for Concealed Carry if they're that far away "Don't Shoot," hard to prover you're in fear of your life. Just saying.

http://www.vegaholstershop.com/shop/concealment/shoulder-holsters/da1-up-down-shoulder-holster.html

FoxtrotOscar
02-01-17, 12:38 PM
A 2-4 inch barrel is very effective at close range and for Concealed Carry if they're that far away "Don't Shoot," hard to prover you're in fear of your life. Just saying.

Very solid and salient points there Advanced, well stated....