PDA

View Full Version : Swearing in this week -I have a few important questions - your advice is appreciated

fatbear
01-23-17, 06:46 PM
Hello Marines,

Thank you for your service, and for checking out this thread.

I'm happy to say that I've finally been medically approved and I'm going to MEPS this week to finally swear in to the USMC. It has been a dream of mine to serve my country - and it looks like it is going to be a reality. I'm confident that all the information that has been relayed to me is more or less true - I completely trust my recruiter and I have no reason to doubt my officer selection officer - yet for the peace of mind of my loved ones, I would like to quickly verify a few things regarding my situation.

BACKGROUND:
In May of this year I'm going to be 29 years old. Despite my old age, I'm athletic and fit. Regardless, I'm still old bones compared to the kids. I understand that I need to enlist/be in bootcamp before my birthday, otherwise I'll need a waiver. The plan is to not let that happen.

I have two Bachelor's of Science degrees, I also got a 99 on the ASVAB. If I go enlisted (vs officer) I'm deciding between an Intel and an Infantry Squad Leader contract (a 6 year contract). If I go Infantry Squad Leader, I may be shipping out next month, or in March. Apparently there are no Intel contracts left according to a local SSgt at a nearby RS, but my recruiter said he could somehow make it happen... I don't know how. FIRST QUESTION: I'm leaning towards accepting an Infantry Squad Leader contract, for a couple reasons, but mostly, as it seems like a much more physically active position compared to Intel. I imagine Intel is working in a windowless room with a stack of papers. At least, that is what I've been told, jokingly. ARE THESE ASSUMPTIONS COMPLETELY NAIVE/DELUSIONAL?

Apparently, because of my education and test scores, I need a waiver/letter from an Officer Selection Officer basically saying "this guy doesn't want to become an Officer, he wants to enlist, and I have verified that." I spoke with my OSO for the first time today. He told me that because of my old age and being literally a few months away from my 29th birthday, and because I have no prior military service, it is very unlikely that I would be approved by some "board" to be accepted to attend OCS. He didn't say it was impossible, but he said it was very unlikely. I told the OSO that my priority has always been to be a Marine first and foremost, and that I would be very disappointed if I missed an opportunity to serve in the USMC.The OSO then went on to tell me that, on the other hand, if I enlist for a couple of years and do well - already having the education that I do - I would then be much more likely to be recommended to attend the Officer Candidate Course. ​SECOND QUESTION: IS THIS A BUNCH OF HOEY? He informed me that the cutoff age to be an Officer is 35. I imagine a lot of enlisted go in with some idea that "someday I'm gunna be'un officer!" only to find that it's really hard to make it happen and they end up completely disillusioned. My peace of mind comes from the fact that becoming an officer isn't my MO, but, because I'm looking at the USMC as a career option, I should understand this career path. In fact, my recruiter one upped the OSO and said that I could have this option in under a year If I go in gunning for it, and if I make my goals and intention of attending OCC known.

Well, this is all I have. Really, I'm wondering, according to your experience, if everything adds up. I'm very much looking forward to giving back to a country that has given me so much. Thank you again Marines, for your service and your time.

Tennessee Top
01-23-17, 11:01 PM
Everything does not add up to me. But, I've never been a recruiter so not going to say they lie. Also, I retired back in 1995. So, what was true back then, may not be true today. <br />
<br />
One thing that is...

Tennessee Top
01-24-17, 08:12 AM
^^^as an officer. Your responsibility would be to ALWAYS be in front of those Marines. That includes long humps (hikes) with loads that weigh about as much as you do, long runs, and forced marches. One does not accomplish that simply by being fit. Being a trained athlete more accurately describes what it takes to get through OCS.

fatbear
01-24-17, 05:16 PM
I would be honored to be at the front leading those hard charging Marines through all sorts of awful! I feel as if I mislead you - by athletic and fit - I meant I actually am an athlete. I was a full time endurance athlete prior to my training to become a Marine. I could go on, but I'll spare us all. Thank you for your reply TT.

Tennessee Top
01-24-17, 06:28 PM
Don't mean to doubt you. The confidence your OSO has in you says a great deal. Since your biological clock is ticking. I recommend you take the quickest route to earning the title. Let us know what you decide.

Good luck.

crazymjb
01-24-17, 08:17 PM
If you're an endurance athlete and academically qualified, I would highly recommend sitting down with an OSO. There are benefits to both paths you are considering. I would personally risk needing an age waiver to pursue the officer route in your situation.

A little background. I joined the USMC in 2008 at 18 (swore in at 17) and served a little over 6 years in the reserves while getting my BS. Like you, I had a 99 ASVAB, considered myself a smart person, etc. None of that mattered as an 18 year old, we were young kids, we started out as privates, and moved on from there. Being a junior Marine has its great parts, but it has its crappy parts.

Now in your case, having the extensive background and presumably life experience you do, I think being back with a bunch of predominantly 18 year old high school grads as your peers is going to be really draining. If you are a natural leader, you will probably advance reasonably quickly. Our older "new joins" generally were very mature and once we realized that they were given responsibility often more quickly than their fresh out of high school counterparts. That said, all units are not like this, and I've had some friends who enlisted after college who were absolutely miserable, much more so than those of us who joined at 18.

If you do opt to go the enlisted route, I think you'll enjoy combat arms more than intel if you are looking for the "Marine Corps" experience. I would not recommend taking a 6 year "squad leader" contract. If you aren't a ****ty leader, you'll have no problem picking up rank and getting put in positions of leadership. No reason to tie yourself down for 6 years. Again, I can't stress how much you don't want to hit the ground running with a 6 year infantry contract as a 29 year old. It may work out awesome, but if it doesn't, ooh boy man, those 2 years are going to hurt.

Best of luck

Mike