PDA

View Full Version : Officer dress blues

Apache
01-20-17, 10:20 AM
Yesterday I saw President Trump at the Lincoln Memorial
There were Marine Officers in dress blues.
They had gold shoulder braids similar to Army braiding

What are these braids ?
My google-fu does not return any knowledge of braiding for a Marine uniform.

Zulu 36
01-20-17, 11:15 AM
Those Marine officers are Presidential Aides-d'camp. The gold pogey ropes are their badge of office. They only wear them while on duty.

Apache
01-20-17, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the Intel Zulu

FoxtrotOscar
01-20-17, 12:13 PM

Perfect Example....

CodyCoch
01-21-17, 10:24 AM
Wondered the same thing while watching yesterday. I've never seen or heard of those before.... the more ya know.

Apache
01-21-17, 12:07 PM
Affirmative on all above
Thanks again for replies

Old Marine
01-21-17, 12:37 PM
I remember the 5th Marine Regiment wearing the French Fourreagre(SP).

al hague
01-22-17, 07:24 AM
6th Marines used to have a rope as well much smaller

advanced
01-22-17, 08:11 AM
I remember the 5th Marine Regiment wearing the French Fourreagre(SP).
It's natural camo color worked great in the bush.

FoxtrotOscar
01-22-17, 11:03 AM

The Marine Corps and the Fourragere

Croix de Guerre with Palms was entitled to a braided and knotted cord, known as the Fourragere, in the green and red colors of the Croix de Guerre. The Fourragere becomes part of the uniform of the unit so cited, authorizing all members of the organization to wear the decoration on the left shoulder of the uniform as long as they remain members of the organization.

The French Fourragere is a decoration instituted by Napoleon I for units which distinguished themselves in battle. I t was revived during World War I and was awarded by the French Ministry of War to organizations which were cited more than once in the French Orders of the Army. The three classes of the Fourragere are as follows: First--Legion d'Honneur (Scarlet); Second--Medaille Militare - (Yellow/Red); Third--Croix de Guerre with palm (Green/Red).

In 1918, Marines of the Fifth and Sixth Regiments, by their heroic deeds of valor, inscribed the names of momentous and brilliant battles on the pages of Marine Corps history, as well as on their own regimental battle colors. They have the single honor of being the only two regiments in the American Expeditionary Force to receive three citations--two in the Orders of the Army and one in the Orders of the Corps--the Fourragere and the Croix de Guerre with two Palms and one Gilt Star.

advanced
01-22-17, 11:34 AM
As soon as we left the Nam no one could wear them, and obviously they weren't worn in the Nam. So we in the 5th just created a lot more history for the Regiment. The memories.