PDA

View Full Version : CrossFit?

Lamas99
01-19-17, 08:55 PM
Recently I had to end my Cross Fit gym membership due to the cost and time management and the high risk of injury. I had been training with my Police Explorer adviser who is a Marine. He told me that if I quit this, Cross Fit, I shouldn't have enlisted. Now I respect his opinions and look to him as a mentor, so I was curious, does boot camp emphasize exercises or techniques used in Cross Fit? I train using body weight and power lifting instead due to the availability of it and the results I have already seen.

Tennessee Top
01-19-17, 09:33 PM
You should be asking your recruiter this question. They are responsible for preparing you both mentally and physically for bootcamp (not your advisor). Your goal is to pass the Initial Strength Test (IST) which is required to ship to bootcamp.

Good luck.

crazymjb
01-21-17, 04:28 PM
Crossfitters are a weird cult. Don't get me wrong, some are in phenomenal shape and do stuff the right way, but it's a cult and plenty drink the kool-aid. Crossfit "themed" exercises are common in...

03GyRene
01-23-17, 12:25 PM
You DON'T have to be a Crossfit athlete to get through boot camp. A buddy of mine from the Corps (who subsequently got out of the Corps and joined Army Airbone...go figure) turned me on to Crossfit about 15 years ago. At that time, the only people using it were police and military. His Airborne troops were doing it and he told me about it. There were NO Crossfit gyms at that time so I just followed the workouts at my own gym...people looked at me like I was crazy. I like it, but it really was just a way to do cross training. Mix cardio with strength training and do it in different ways. Not really rocket science. But these days there is a Crossfit gym on every corner and not all the trainers know what they are doing. I went to a crossfit gym a couple of years ago (I had a Groupon and thought I would try it) and ended up FU*CKING up my shoulder because of a bad trainer and not enough supervision. If you quit Crossfit because it was hard, well, you'll have a LOT of hard days ahead in the Corps. But if you quit for other reasons, don't sweat it.