PDA

View Full Version : Our Courts in Action

TracGunny
01-30-04, 08:21 AM
We are all familiar with the Liberalism of the Sixth District Court of Appeals on the West Coast; however, the absurdity of some Judges seems to prevail here in the Southeast. I am beginning to pray...

namgrunt
01-31-04, 09:39 PM
It won't be long before this sort of "legislation from the bench" affects all aspects of the Criminal Justice System. I hate to comtemplate carjackers being released because the victims just had too nice an automobile for the perpetrators to pass up.

Consider the situation with a certain popsinger, who is potentially in trouble for his personal habits. If found culpable, could he get a free pass because his lawyers argue he found his objects of obsession "too cute and desireable" to leave alone? Where does it all end? What boundary is too far?

To those who would scoff, just look at how the Second Amendment has been misinterpreted to mean you must be in the National Guard in order to fall within the boundaries of its wording. More people are killed with automobiles every year, but I don't hear a hue and cry in the halls of Congress to outlaw motorized passenger vehicles.

Back in the 1940's, in the movie "Maltese Falcon", one scene has police detectives showing up at Sam Spade's apartment. They push in to find the main characters gathered in the parlor, and they also take a semi-auto pistol found in the room. At the end of their investigative interview, they ask Spade if the gun is his. When he answers yes, they simply give it back and tell him to stay out ouf trouble, then they leave.

Consider how it would play out nowadays. Sam Spade would be hauled downtown in cuffs to verify whether his P.I. license was valid, then whether he had a current concealed weapons permit for the jurisdiction where his apartment is located. The police would keep the piece until things were cleared up, and would probably shoot a ballistic ID round while waiting. That would be added to the national database, in event it ever matched one at the scene of a crime. You can see where this is going.

Americans from the early part of the 20th century would have a difficult time recognizing this country as the America they knew. Many of the changes are good, but altogether too many of them are not. Courts are outside their boundaries when they legislate rather than invoke the laws.

Yep, you're right, I'm opinionated!

namgrunt

TracGunny
01-31-04, 10:07 PM
What the liberals cannot pass as law in Congress, they enforce through the Liberal-Activist Judges. I have no illusion as to why the Dems do not want the current administration's appointees to pass - the Dems would lose their only means of forcing their minority opinions on the majority.