PDA

View Full Version : What are Amtrackers doing these days?

DollyLlama
12-21-16, 02:16 PM
So what are AAV Crewmen doing these days? To my understanding they are not being deployed (to high risk areas in tracks) and the training budget/gas money is limited. Is this true? And if so, what are the crewmen doing instead? Just wondering if there's a point in going 1833 or not.

I have tried googling and searching (almost) everywhere, but I can't find any answers to the current situation, other than an article about the USMC is updating the AAV'S.

So my questions are:

* Will you be "tracking" or will you be doing other tasks, and if so, what?

* Will you likely be stuck at Camp Pendelton the whole enlistment?

* Is there a chance of deployment and if so, will you be tracking, roll with the Infantry or do other things?

* And the maintenance, how "heavy" is it? Is it like the tankers, where they say for every hour of driving there's 3 hours of maintenance or is it mostly washing, greasing and checklists?

Please don't just reply "you will go where they need you and do what they need you to do".

That's my main questions, but there will probably be more later. Anyways, thanks to those who can answer :)

Tennessee Top
12-21-16, 04:57 PM
Can't answer all your questions but will hit a couple highlights (never was in tracks so can't speak about maintenance issues or operations with the infantry).

Camp LeJeune NC is home of the USMC's largest amphibious base. So, it's not just Camp Pendleton CA. And, there are AAV's in Okinawa Japan with the 3rd Marine Division. There may be some in Hawaii but not sure. The largest combined arms exercises (CAX) take place in 29 Palms CA but don't know if AAV's are included.

Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU's) float around the Pacific and Atlantic oceans for 7 months at a time aboard Navy amphibious ships. Those ships carry AAV's and the infantry Marines practice amphibious assaults/landings with them. Currently, the 27th MEU is aboard the USS Boxer.

DollyLlama
12-22-16, 01:32 PM
Thank you for the reply and info, Tennesee Top.

I also forgot to ask about secondary MOS', is it possible to be an 1833 with a secondary MOS as 3531 (Motor-T)?

Thanks again.

Tennessee Top
12-22-16, 02:56 PM
Won't say it's impossible. Normally, in order to be assigned a secondary MOS, one must attend a formal school, or have practical experience in that MOS (meaning, you would have to be working in the motor pool instead of with AAV's to be a 3531).

As an example, Drill Instructors, Recruiters, and Embassy Marines all have secondary MOS's. They graduated from a formal school, and actually work in that secondary field (practical experience).

I actually had 3 MOS's:
0193 Administrative Chief (primary)
8151 Marine Security Guard (Embassy Guard) - secondary
8015 Enlisted Marine with a bachelors degree (tertiary)