PDA

View Full Version : IEP/504-plan

KlutzEVA
12-16-16, 12:43 PM
Hello everyone I just joined this forum and I finally went to go see a recruiter and everything was going well I gave him all my paperwork but now I've come to find out that I may be ineligible to join due to having a 504-plan is this true? I've never taken any meds or special-ed classes in high school I only used it to graduate with less credits and it still says I have a normal diploma and not a GED, is it possible at all for somebody like me to become a Marine now? (Do I need college credits, a letter of rec. , and a high ASVAB score the recruiter hasn't said anything like that it's just an assumption)

KlutzEVA
12-16-16, 12:46 PM
My goal was to leave in early August in the 0300 field, It wasn't even a Marine recruiter that told me I was ineligible it was some Army recruiter, the Marine recruiter still needs my highschool-transcript

Hammer
12-16-16, 02:24 PM
Just curious; how did you qualify for a 504 plan? Are you saying you were in one; graduated from it; yet you wasn't qualified to be in it? My question is; what was or is your disability?

I' not real knowledgeable about the 504 plan, and I m not a recruiter, but please answer my question.

crazymjb
12-16-16, 03:58 PM
If I recall it doesn't ask anything anywhere about a 504 plan on any of the enlistment paperwork. I don't see why it would be a DQ unless the underlying disability that the 504 is based on is a DQ. If you have a high school diploma and none of the disabilities that it asks about on the enlistment paperwork I don't see any reason to volunteer information about the 504 plan.

Did you take the ASVAB yet?

Mike

KlutzEVA
12-16-16, 06:00 PM
I pulled some strings with the doctor saying I had a learning disability even though I didn't in order for me to graduate with less credits I graduated with a diploma but I guess it's called a certificate of completion

KlutzEVA
12-16-16, 06:02 PM
I never took any meds though and I never took any special needs classes

KlutzEVA
12-16-16, 06:03 PM
I didn't take the asvab but I did take the practice one and scored a 55 I'm going to talk time my doctor so I can get a note to say they misdiagnosed me, the thing is if they don't get my paperwork yet I can't even start the process or get it wavered

crazymjb
12-16-16, 08:45 PM
I don't think LD is on the enlistment paperwork, so as long as your diplomas good and you have no psych history I don't think you'll need to volunteer the 504, don't quote me on that though.

Also, study for your ASVAB and take it seriously.

Mike

KlutzEVA
12-16-16, 11:03 PM
There might be a psych thing that might be in the way a family doc diagnosed me with depression in order for me to get the 504 I never went to consoling, or a therapist, I also never took meds I'm going to go talk to the doctor to see if I can get that taken out and I will study hard.

KlutzEVA
12-16-16, 11:05 PM
There is a psych thing that might be in the way a family doc diagnosed me with depression in order for me to get the 504 I never went to consoling, or a therapist, I also never took meds I'm going to go talk to the doctor to see if I can get that taken out and I will study hard.

FoxtrotOscar
12-17-16, 12:29 AM
I pulled some strings with the doctor saying I had a learning disability even though I didn't in order for me to graduate with less credits I graduated with a diploma but I guess it's called a certificate of completion

Just for the record.... Pulling strings for your personal benefit speaks volumes about your credibility....

If I was your recruiter and saw or heard that, I'd tell you to take a hike...

KlutzEVA
12-17-16, 01:13 AM
Hey, at least you were honest to me and I thank you for that if that's the way it is I still won't give up, but again thanks for the honesty

Hammer
12-17-16, 07:00 AM
Frankly Klutz; your posts remind me of Hillary Clintons' bull****. I believe that your chances of getting in the Corps is nil, and if you did, a DI would send you home on the next bus.

KlutzEVA
12-17-16, 07:11 AM
Frankly Klutz; your posts remind me of Hillary Clintons' bull****. I believe that your chances of getting in the Corps is nil, and if you did, a DI would send you home on the next bus.

Hey a guy can try but if it's a lost cause I don't want to waste anyone's time thanks for at least answering my question if I it's a harsh reality check at least it's an answer

KlutzEVA
12-17-16, 07:26 AM
Just for the record.... Pulling strings for your personal benefit speaks volumes about your credibility....

If I was your recruiter and saw or heard that, I'd tell you to take a hike...

Let me just be honest to everybody who relied to me, I'm still going to try and to clear things up I didn't think depression was a learning disability, by pulling strings I meant if they could diagnose me with something I didn't have it before my senior year but something came up where I became so, Im not trying to bull**** anybody and I don't want to waste any body's time. Again, I'm sorry for wording it wrong

USMC 2571
12-17-16, 08:03 AM
I have zero idea as to what this is even about, maybe IEP stands for Individual Education Plan??? I have no idea, but I will say, anyway, good luck and keep us posted on this same thread.

crazymjb
12-17-16, 09:52 AM
^That's what he is talking about.

I wouldn't say this brings his integrity into question. Have you guys talked to other Marines? All sorts of guys from all sorts of backgrounds and histories. This also is pretty victim-less.

Be honest with your recruiter about the depression and take his advice from there.

Mike

KlutzEVA
12-17-16, 11:58 AM
@crazymjb @USMC 2571
I'll keep you guys posted, from the start I was very open with my recruiter and I will take see what steps need to be taken next.

FoxtrotOscar
12-17-16, 12:16 PM
KlutzEVA sent me an explanation as to why this incident happened.

For that I applaud him, were all human and when we learn from mistakes that are judgemental, then lesson learned.

The advice of being openly honest to the recruiter is absolutely correct, it's up to the Marines and the current policy's of acceptance.

At the same time, Honesty and Integrity are time honored values that should never be compromised...!!!

crazymjb
12-17-16, 12:18 PM
There's only one thief in the Marine Corps you know ;)

Mike

KlutzEVA
12-17-16, 12:44 PM
I know serving any branch of the military is not a right but a privilege, that's one of the first things my recruiter told me, he told me he can't guarantee that anybody can become a United States Marine, but after experiencing a few hardships and gaining strength from them I want to take the more worthwhile route full or hardships which is the Marine Corps, and become a better person along the way.