PDA

View Full Version : Legendary Marine General James Mattis may be tapped to be Trump's defense secretary

irpat54
11-19-16, 04:38 PM
Paul Szoldra
This would be outstanding, IMO

Marine Corps Gen. James Mattis listens during his confirmation hearing July 27, 2010 on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC. Alex Wong/Getty Images
Retired Marine Gen. James Mattis is in the running to lead the Pentagon for President-elect Donald Trump, according to reports.

Trump's transition team announced on Friday that Mattis would be meeting with the President-elect on Saturday. A person involved with the transition told Bloomberg that Mattis was being considered, along with retired Army Gen. Jack Keane, who met with Trump on Thursday.

Mattis declined to comment when reached by Business Insider.

The former four-star general retired in 2013 after leading Marines for 44 years. His last post was with US Central Command, the Tampa, Florida-based unified command tasked with operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as more than two-dozen other countries.

Mattis, 66, is something of a legendary figure in the US military. Looked at as a warrior among Marines and well-respected by members of other services, he's been at the forefront of a number of engagements.

He led his battalion of Marines in the assault during the first Gulf war in 1991 and commanded the task force charging into Afghanistan in 2001. In 2003, as a Major General, he once again took up the task of motivating his young Marines to go into battle, penning a must-read letter to his troops before they crossed the border into Iraq.

Though he's beloved by troops for his straight talk and strategic genius, he's dealt with some controversy outside of the military for some of his more colorful quotes. He asserted in 2005, for example, that it was "fun to shoot some people" — though he was talking about fundamentalists who "slap women around" in Afghanistan for not wearing veils. Still, the Marine commandant at the time said he was counseled and told to "choose his words more carefully," according to Fox News.

If he were tapped to be defense secretary, Mattis would need a waiver from Congress to take the position, since it requires a military officer to have been off active duty for at least seven years. Mattis retired in 2013.

Whoever is ultimately picked, the next head of the Pentagon will oversee roughly 3 million military and civilian personnel and face myriad challenges, from the ongoing fight against ISIS and China's moves in the South China Sea to the ongoing stress on the military imposed by sequestration.

A number of defense secretaries who served under President Barack Obama have criticized him for his supposed "micromanagement." Even Mattis himself was reportedly forced into early retirement by the Obama administration due to his hawkish views on Iran, according to Tom Ricks at Foreign Policy.

To some of his supporters, Trump appears to be more of a delegator who will let the Pentagon chief take the reins of the military.

"He will empower his SecDef to lead the way," Joe Kasper, chief of staff for Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.), told Business Insider.

The next defense secretary may also end up dealing with a nuclear-armed North Korea, and Russia is very likely to test limits in eastern Europe. The secretary will also need to reinvigorate a military plagued by low morale.

Mattis currently splits his time between Stanford and Dartmouth as a distinguished fellow, conducting research and giving lectures on leadership and strategy.

Other names that have been floated for the position include former Sen. Jim Talent of Missouri and Stephen Hadley, the former national security adviser to President George W. Bush.

A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Business Insider.

Hammer
11-19-16, 05:31 PM
Personally; the US Military needs a leader like General Mattis! He's exactly what we need. He would put the queers, lessies, and tranny's on th run.

madsox
11-19-16, 08:30 PM
General Mattis would be about the best SecDef I think we could ever have, I'll just leave it at that!

:beer:

FoxtrotOscar
11-19-16, 08:30 PM
The article is straight forward and direct, as it should be...

I think it would also be a wise and sound choice, again, the problem will be those left leaning so called "RINO's" that need to (1) waive his time out of service (7 years) and (2) his actual confirmation...

That being said, this is now the time that we shall see what they really do...

Excellent post Pat...

Haddock
11-19-16, 10:24 PM
There is a completely unsubstantiated rumor his nickname was derived from the UMSC (enlisted) wine of choice in the late 60s/early 70s at MCRD San Diego: Mad Dog 20-20.

I am proud to be a graduate of the same class (1969) of his enlistment in the USMC.

When he was appointed CMC, he stated “This policy that doesn’t allow sleeve tattoos is a bunch of horse****,” said Mattis, as he showed off his own full-sleeve tattoos running down both arms. “So that’s the first thing to go.”

http://www.duffelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mattis-sleeve-tattoo-800x600.jpg

Note he is carrying his own pack.

As SecDef, he just might have the drag to carry that promise off.

madinfidel
11-20-16, 06:34 AM
This new administration needs a good dose of the OLD CORPS....

irpat54
11-20-16, 09:07 AM
he is a bit of a throwback to the Chesty Puller days,, which is just what we need now..

FoxtrotOscar
11-20-16, 10:30 AM
he is a bit of a throwback to the Chesty Puller days,, which is just what we need now..

His best quote in regards to the condition of the Country:

“Our Country won’t go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won’t be any AMERICA because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!”

– Lt. Gen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC

Tennessee Top
11-20-16, 03:43 PM
Will believe it when I see it. This nation is not ready for Mad Dog Mattis. Not sure if Trump is either. Democrats would $hit their skivvies.

Haddock
11-20-16, 03:47 PM
Oh, good!

A photo op!

My takeaway is the US does not have to be ready for General Mattis. ISIS are the ones that need to stand by to get their family jewels ripped out their nostrils bilaterally.....

advanced
11-21-16, 08:07 AM
I think he'd be a good choice even though he's a little 2 pc for me.

oldtop
11-22-16, 10:31 AM
Mattis would be a GREAT choice for Sec Def, if so, you can likely say GOODBYE to the "transsexual, transgender "free sex change" offers of the current idiot in charge. He would also be GREAT for...

FoxtrotOscar
11-22-16, 01:37 PM
The Marine Corps and all the Services have no place for PC Bull...

Great reply Top..

03GyRene
11-22-16, 02:32 PM
Does anyone know where Mattis served as a Captain? I read his bio and it said he was a rifle company and weapons company commander at 1st Marine Brigade Hawaii. That would have been about the time I was in 2/3 but I don't remember him. Maybe he was in 1/3 or 3/3...do any of you guys know?

03GyRene
11-22-16, 02:56 PM
Disregard, I found it. The General was with Kilo 3/3 when he was a Captain. How did we survive before Google??

http://www.taskforcetrinity.com/archives/2759/jamesmattis1978

silveradomick
11-22-16, 08:23 PM
There is a completely unsubstantiated rumor his nickname was derived from the UMSC (enlisted) wine of choice in the late 60s/early 70s at MCRD San Diego: Mad Dog 20-20.

I am proud to be a graduate of the same class (1969) of his enlistment in the USMC.

When he was appointed CMC, he stated “This policy that doesn’t allow sleeve tattoos is a bunch of horse****,” said Mattis, as he showed off his own full-sleeve tattoos running down both arms. “So that’s the first thing to go.”

http://www.duffelblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mattis-sleeve-tattoo-800x600.jpg

Note he is carrying his own pack.

As SecDef, he just might have the drag to carry that promise off.

Bro, Gen Mattis was nevere CMC. Duffleblog is a satire website. That article you posted is comedy, not factual. Easy mistake to make though. Just trying to give you the straight scoop.

And for the record I served under Mattis during the Iraq invasion in '03. He truly loves his Marines and is an amazingly well read and proficient commander. I think he'd make an excellent SecDef. Let's hope it happens.

Kegler300
12-01-16, 06:18 PM
Trump has selected General Mattis to be the Secretary of Defense.

FoxtrotOscar
12-01-16, 06:20 PM
Awesome, it shall be interesting to see what happens in the future...

Kegler300
12-01-16, 06:48 PM
Say goodbye to trying make female Marines grunts.

madsox
12-01-16, 07:27 PM
This is just outstanding!

I honestly can't think of anyone better to be SecDef. He's got everything - brains, guts, willpower, experience, integrity... Stand by for a real military again?

i think so.

Semper Fi!

:evilgrin:

Hammer
12-01-16, 07:37 PM
Damn, this is great! A real Secretary of Defense, not a typical politician who hanever worn the uniform...A real military Veteran; a Marine!

SEMPER FI!

Cpl Keller
12-01-16, 07:59 PM
This is good news, and i hope Trump will let him do his thing without too much micro-managing.

FoxtrotOscar
12-01-16, 11:41 PM

Tennessee Top
12-02-16, 12:10 AM
Wish I could walk the halls of the Pentagon tomorrow and see the looks on the troop's faces there. The morale in that building now must be overwhelming! To go from serving under a liberal progressive bean counter who only sees them as social experiments, to a combat-decorated war veteran who truly loves them with all his heart and has walked in their boots, is indescribable. Can't even imagine how the Marines there feel.

The Pentagon transition team got there on Monday. They've got to be jacked now too!

madinfidel
12-02-16, 06:27 AM
It's a awesome time for current Marines to be serving and it only makes me miss it all the more. We really haven't had a leader love the Marine Corps since Ronald Reagan and I am glad to see the younger generation know what true appreciation feels like. I was proud to serve under him as well and the word that always comes to mind when I think of him is honorable.

FoxtrotOscar
12-03-16, 10:04 AM

Kegler300
12-03-16, 01:52 PM
^^^ha-ha-ha! That is great!!

Haddock
12-03-16, 08:05 PM
Bro, Gen Mattis was nevere CMC. Duffleblog is a satire website. That article you posted is comedy, not factual. Easy mistake to make though. Just trying to give you the straight scoop.

Noted.

My bad for not fact-checking a link sent to me. I apologise for any offense. I am pleased beyond belief that General Mattis will be SecDef.

Thanks for setting the record straight. I appreciate it.

silveradomick
12-03-16, 09:05 PM
No worries man. Gen Mattis is a truly great leader and will do well for the nation as SECDEF.

And duffleblogs articles are hysterical most of the time. If youve got an hour to kill and wants some laughs, check their site out.

advanced
12-05-16, 08:58 AM
I see that Mattis enlisted in 69, but I can't find anything where he served in the Nam.

FoxtrotOscar
12-05-16, 09:55 AM
I see that Mattis enlisted in 69, but I can't find anything where he served in the Nam.

He didn't serve in VIetnam, from my understanding he was a reservist from 69-72 until he obtained his degree and became a 2ndLt... During Desert Storm he was a LtCol, Bn Cmdr of 1/7, part of Task Force Ripper that was used during the push into Kuwait...

Haddock
12-05-16, 10:04 AM
He was commissioned 2LT in 1972 and served in the 3MARDIV during the VN Era. Like some of us that enlisted in 1969, he was "of the Era, but not in country."

I, too, was in WESTPAC in 1971-72, but only got as far as Okinawa. Someone had to stay in the rear with the gear. I was one of the lucky ones. So, apparently, was 2LT Mattis.

advanced
12-05-16, 12:08 PM
Thank you both for completing that part of his history for me. I'm all for him as secretary as well, finally a Marine.